Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

My Nokia N8 is dead,can't turn on and can't chargi...

nokie39

Re: My Nokia N8 is dead,can't turn on and can't charging

I'm in toronto, canada and my N8 is completely dead and it's about 6mths old. It happened many times where it just froze and then couln't start or charge but i always managed somehow to get it going so didn't bother to ret;urn it (it was a gift). Now no matter what I do it is not starting or charging and what do you know..the warranty just expired! And i really liked using this phone esp. the GPS . I will avaoid any Nokia from now.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member

hi

i'm from holland,and today my n8 went dead.

what can i do.

do i have to go to the store where i bought it?

and what will hapen then...

will they fix it or will i get a  new one?

thanx

Please use plain text.
turbolad995

My Nokia N8 died today. I've always been very careful with it and kept the phone up to date with the Ovi suite. The phone just died unexpectedly and won't power on at all or charge up.
PLEASE HELP!
Please use plain text.
Advisor
drmorbid

Add mine to the list- have to find a nokia dealer to take care of this. I have a warranty, so that is lucky.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
drmorbid

Wanted to update- sent my N8 into Nokia on Tuesday, received it back, repaired a few hours ago, Friday.

They replaced an "electronic" part, a "mechanical", and the display, all under warranty, including shipping.

Thank you very much, Nokia. I basically have a new phone.
Please use plain text.
turbolad995

Just got my phone back today.  It works and I have restored the backup.

I have completed the survey asking if I was satisfied with the repair service.  Let's just say in a few words that I'm not happy that it took so long and I'm VERY annoyed that Nokia knows about this problem, but Nokia has chosen to sit on the fence. It would have saved a great deal of inconvience if Nokia put a message on the Ovi Suite software telling N8 users to check to see if their phone is from the faulty batch and offer affected owners a free replacement N8 and transfer of contents and settings from the faulty N8 onto a free replacement.

I'm hoping that now my N8 has been repaired by Nokia it won't die again.  If it does I will be complaining very loudly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please use plain text.
Advisor
mullaadib

Only one solution is available either walk in to nokia care or do flashing of ur device
Please use plain text.
sallysal

OMG!!!!  iam from australia nad iam having the same problem now... exccept that as i tried to start my phone it said somthing likke " starting up failed. please contact your retailer" twice and then iit was stuck with "nokia "writen in blue on the screen :smileysad:((
btw.. i got it as a present and so i dont know what store it is from. please help ::"((( 

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Tupai_Cyruz

Thanx for saving my **bleep** from buying a new phone,... Works for me,... Thanx again,... Really appreciate ur help,...
Please use plain text.
mcg_1125

Hello, i need urgent help. My N-8's batery only lasts for 2 to 3 hours and in Ecuador (my country) there is only one authorized support place. When i went there, they were sure it was a battery damage and asked me to pay 44.60$ to change the battery but i dont think that battery was new. Worst of all I still have that problem. What should i do?? Thanks
Please use plain text.
Sage
m80116

Had my Nokia N8 die on me. It was up and running, Wi-Fi connected, some 3-4 apps running as always, battery in good shape and then some minute later...

- Could not unlock

- No sign of action (electronic activity)

- Could not turn on (long press power button)

- Could not hard reset (keys combo)

- Could not charge via pin

- Could not charge via USB / Could not be detected by the PC

Straight to the repair center off it went.

My device was bought 05/2011 (made in Finland), firmware was PR1.2 from 03/2011. Never updated to Belle nor intended to. What I have to expect ? Should I have checked device manufacture date out of curiousity but didn't even had the time to think about it.

I just hope they fix it very soon. Had the option to buy a new one for 199 EUR but I got back to my dependable N95 8GB: my god HOW SLOW IT IS. Still, I can do Google Maps with Streetview :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
elihukbrizzy

hold the power botton + downvolume key + main menu botton
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
elihukbrizzy

try to hold the power botton + down volume key + fornt botton at one time
Please use plain text.
Sage
archie_

For myself at least, I thought the turning off and unresponsive state the phone entered was a software problem -- it is in fact a hardware quality issue, specifically in how the screen is held onto the case.

If I understand correctly, the tape (there are two), which connects the screen to the main circuit board of the N8 may becomes loose, probably after some knocks. I think the best Nokia can do is make the design a little more robust -- this does certainly disqualify SportsTracker for me. On Sunday, I'll test it any way on a bumpy cycle.

If this happens to you, an expert at a Nokia Care Point is your best bet; they'll easily and correctly put the screen back on flush with the metal clips in place, and screws tightened appropriately.
Symbian connected me to the world, to my dreams.. Thank-you Nokia
Please use plain text.
Sage
archie_

By the way, if the Nokia Care Point snaps your screen back on, the phone works as per normal, there is no data loss till the point it is wiped/formatted.
Symbian connected me to the world, to my dreams.. Thank-you Nokia
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Shirish_India

My N8 died a few days back. It is with devatha communications Nokia care center right now. The phone is out of warranty. Hard reboot did not work so they are examining the mother board now.

If this a manufacturing defect, will Nokia repair it without cost?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
rayhipkiss

@Shirish

Nokia will charge you to repair the phone if it's out of warranty.

Ray
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Shirish_India

Well its a shame on Nokia's part. It looks like, it is a manufacturing defect and nokia should have recalled its handsets and replaced the faulty part on their own.

It is really unethical for them to wait for the set to fail and then see if it passed the warranty period. In the short term they may save a few bucks and escape humiliation against competitors but in the long run Nokia will loose for sure. I have never used a non nokia phone since I started using one(12 years), Time to change loyalties I guess.

What phones are better Samsung Galaxy SIII, iphone ? Are there similar problems with those phones and their manufacturers as well ?

Since my whole argument is based on dead thing being a manufacturing defect .If it is not a manufacturing defect then why are their so many posts here ?

Shirish

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
rayhipkiss

@Shirish_India 

If an electronic device breaks down during its warranty period then of course the manufacturer will repair or replace that device. If the device breaks down after the warranty has expired then there will be a charge for repair. This is true for all manufacturers, not just Nokia.

It's also impossible for a manufacturer to know if a device is affected by a manufacturing defect unless it is reported to them.

In your case, because the fault ocurred out of the warranty period Nokia could argue that it's not a manufacturing defect because if it was, the fault would have manifested itself within the warranty period.

As for other manufacturers, my Samsung Galaxy S has died just over a year since I first bought it but it will cost me money to repair it due to not having a warranty any longer. This is because I elected to repair a broken screen myself rather than pay Samsung £170 to do it for me. If I had the warranty would still be intact until next February.

Ray.

Please use plain text.
Sage
m80116

In my case the power failure was caused by an interrupted track.

Fixed under warranty by Nokia Care. No clues why that happened: no drops, no spills, no anything just responsible care.

Now my newly bought (during the repair period) N8 can't AF anymore. I wonder of what these things are made of...

Please use plain text.