Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: My experience with the N97 - "my last Nokia"

Sage

I have a 5800 XM and facing lots of problems [discussed in other threads here].

The software is buggy! Phone crashes too often.

Glad I didn't buy N97. At least 5800 XM is far cheaper.

Please use plain text.
Advisor

im having the same problem! my n97 phone screen is just blank. it shows nothing when the phone is on or off. when charging off it doesnt even show the charge in process icon. when turned on the nokia song doesnt come on an the lock/unlock switch only turns the screen from dark to semi dark when switched. i cant see anything on the screen at all. my phone never fell or anything i really dont understand this. i tried calling it with another device but it only goes to voicemail. i tried to reinstall v20. by plugging it to the pc an it doesnt even make the plug in sound it usually makes. its not hooking up to the pc. i paid alot for this phone, im to the point now with answers feeling frustrated because i've never had to deal with something like this before owning a nokia mobile. have i lost my money with a bad product?? is there any help??
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Hi Archie,

You have a collection of Nokias I see, including the E90. 

It seems to me that Nokia have released too many models, and do not really know which they are committed to. Would that be a fair appraisal of the situation?

I would have thought the E90 was something of a flagship, but the lack of a standard headphone jack is a real shot in the foot for Nokia for a start. I can forgive that when the hifi bluetooth sound is excellent, however, and I like the hardware; couldn't be better.

The software is a different story. Psion, who invented the EPOC upon which Symbian is based, produced a good aganda program, but the E90's offering requires an add on to function adequately. I am talking about being able to manipulate entries, move them, copy them with ease. Having to buy extras on top of the already high price is not encouraging.

Look at new features and firmware upgrades, and these are as good as non-existent. The process for upgrading is also very poor. I don't use Windows, never will, and should be able to use bluetooth or the USB cable to transfer the upgrade to the phone. It's excellent for transferring files, so why not the upgrade files too?

It's the last phone I'll buy form them, I'm afraid. The iPhone is now suitable for Europe (it wasn't when I bought the E90) and its hardware is stunnning. The software needs no introduction.

This thread shows what a disgrace Nokia's customer service is. Too bad; it's the way many companies behave now. Wait and see who survives in the 21st Century. It will be the efficient online shops which deal with customer queries courteously, quickly and effectively.

--

pqb

Please use plain text.
Sage
archie_

I don't think we can give Nokia too much slack for non-common features. For example, my N70 accepted MultiMediaCard memory, while all 3rd edition-onwards S60 Nokia's should (I think) be for microSD usage. Similar thing with the connectivity cables standardizing on mirco USB. You'll see that Nokia will add features that are common on the majority of it's current phones. The first-gen N-series N70 has many common parts to the 6680 and others. Also, the E90 is an N95 with much better hardware - as in casing, sreen and keypad - it has the same processor. This angered communicator fans, but allows for much greater after market support - the benefits outweigh the 'losses'. I've mentioned seeing the Samsung Jet - I'm impressed by the way the menus are organised on that phone. But I still don't think that it or even the N97 makes an E71 or E90 technologically redundant. It's still too close. I think the microSDHC cards and the Ovi store see to that. Probably, the feature I like least about my E90 is the browser flash support. But then you can now go painlessly to Ovi Store and get Opera Mini. As far as commonality of features goes, the extent of the unreliability of the N97 is the least common feature amongst what has generally been acceptable lines of N and E series phones. That's worth fixing - eventually.
Symbian connected me to the world, to my dreams.. Thank-you Nokia
Please use plain text.
Sage
darren2190

[ Edited ]

For those having problems with your nokia phone, did you make sure having the latest firmware available?

After upgrade the firmware, kindly hard reset to clear old system file. And try again. If problems exits, you could bring the phone to the nearest nokia service centre for them to check. Hardware issue may cause problems too.

Btw i am holding n97 and 5800. No issues with them.

Message Edited by darren2190 on 15-Nov-2009 10:45 PM
Was this post helpful? If so, please click on the "Kudos!" star. Thank you!!!!
Please use plain text.
Advisor
enam68

Well here is my 2 cents .After keeping Nokia N97 for 3 months and hardly used the camera as i was too afraid to get the camera lens scratched(and when i checked it just for the sake of checking find there is actually more than one scraches already appeared)upgraded till fw 20.0.027 it started acting weired crashing hanging and Ringing tone getting back to Nokia Tune i had to Give it up......Sold it with a Heavy Loss and brought Iphone and trust me i DONT regret my decission,more over i am more relaxed and Happy now,Its Not perfact just that i dont have to pull the cover and take out battery while i am driving and i have to get back to an Importent call ! I know this will not do any harm to Nokia if just ANOTHER Nokia customer since 10 years leaves ! Bye bye Nokia ForEver !!
Please use plain text.
Advisor

I've had my first issue with my N97 in 3 months in the last few days.  It's not a phone for people who don't understand technologies.  It's complicated, but if you can live with that, you will love it.  Every phone i've ever used has been terrible from release until they managed a decent firmware release ... but then i always pick these types of phone; groundbreaking.

If you are a techie or just want to spend time learning how to make it work well, buy the N97 and you will not be disappointed, it has everything.  If you like the smell of an IPhone ... don't.  Easy.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Not sure I follow the logic of that. The iPhone was groundbreaking 3 or 4 years ago, but I didn't buy it because it was not really suited for Europe, and I thought the Nokia E90, although more expensive, would be better for the job.

It was then, but my next phone will probably be an iPhone.

Why, you may ask. The simple answer is that Apple OS does not require a degree in IT to get the best out of it. The iPod's success is due to its simple design, and the iPhone follows suit.

In those intervening years Nokia seems to me to have stood still. How is Symbian developing? Which model of phone are they committed to? No sooner does one come out than another follows it and they are no longer interested in the earlier one. This view is shared by a phone shop owner I know. The E90 has suffered from this approach, and could have been so much better.

I like its hardware, but the calendar needs an extra program to run efficiently, and the lack of a word processor or spreadsheet as standard is poor, given the price. Even with the Quick Office suite at €50 it still is not as good as the Psion 5mx was with no extra add-ons.

Browsing is a poor experience as well. I imagine it cannot be worse on the iPhone, and might be much better. It's hard to tell from review, and I've not tried one out

Listening to music is good on the E90, as it has bluetooth capable of hi-fi quality.

The sheer number of applications available for the iPhone shows that it is a model going somewhere. Apple have stuck to one phone with a couple of variants, and that has paid off. Who wants to spend months deciding which model of phone to choose? Get the basic design right and the phone will appeal.

--

pqb

Please use plain text.
Contributor
mohamediat

Here in Egypt ,  I wasted money on my black N97, can't connect in pc suite ,software update over the phone doesn't detect any updates so i even can't update to version 2 , and this problem is so common i recommend everyone planning to buy a phone to go for the new I phone .

this is the last nokia for me and any one in my family . 

Please use plain text.

Thanks to all those who have added comments on the N97. I was looking to compare this with the N900 but will not now bother.

With the N700/N800/N810 Nokia didn't have clue as to what they had, the potential has been lost. It does not look as if the N900 which is merging N95/N96 with N810 has any more idea what it is and Nokia are saddling N97 line against N900 as the future direction. 

There is a lot of choice at every level and the flagship products of brands are where the choice is the most diverse and the most critical when made as you have to live with to get used to it unless you are prepared to loose a lot of money and time trying them all out.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member

I have just got the N97 mini. I feel like this might be a stupid question but when I get an incoming call I cant see the number that is calling me! How do I change this? It's driving me crazy!
Please use plain text.
Sage
masameland

jen_dev wrote:
I have just got the N97 mini. I feel like this might be a stupid question but when I get an incoming call I cant see the number that is calling me! How do I change this? It's driving me crazy!

HAHAHAH Sounds like way Nokia like to do things!!! Sorry mate, but I have to laught to you!!!

oh yes, you can get those numbers to your screen by reseting your phone or taking it to Nokia Care center.

Me, Mac and my misengineered N97
Please use plain text.

Guyz N97 is my last Nokia too.... btw normally i buy a phone ill use it around 5 years from a Latest Phone to a Outdated Phone......My ex phone is Sony Ericsson W900 i used it around 4years+ its still work fine with just 1 time reformat but this farking N97 give me alot of burden like freeze almost 4 times in 3 months im so dissapointed and angry....... i saved so hard to buy this phone and this phone makes me tension and angry once a month :smileyhappy: NOKIA N97 i like ur function once it was updated to v20 but HANG AGAIN **bleep** .......... I WAS SO SCARED WHEN IM TRYING TO RESTART THE PHONE EVERYTIME.................. I WONT BUY A NOKIA AGAIN IF NOKIA DOENST DO SOMETHING WITH THIS N97
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

The N97 mini is my first Nokia, and I love it!
Please use plain text.
Sage
masameland

Tom_Rees wrote:
The N97 mini is my first Nokia, and I love it!

How that is even possible?

Me, Mac and my misengineered N97
Please use plain text.
Contributor

Sorry to disagree with some of you. The N97 is not so bad compared to the competition. Before my N97 I used to have an Omnia i900 and have complains, before this an Qtek S200, complains, before that and iDO S600, complains, before..... I think that everybody is never fully satisfied with their belongies. Yes, N97 is not perfect and have some basic problems but what phones don't?
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

MenosZero wrote:
Sorry to disagree with some of you. The N97 is not so bad compared to the competition. Before my N97 I used to have an Omnia i900 and have complains, before this an Qtek S200, complains, before that and iDO S600, complains, before..... I think that everybody is never fully satisfied with their belongies. Yes, N97 is not perfect and have some basic problems but what phones don't?

Dude, you've buying devices from companies that are at the bottom of the pits. We are talking about $600+ phone from the largest mobile phone company that had been making devices that worked, until now.

Well my saab story with N97 is same as the initial poster. after dealing with Nokia over the years my conclussion is, only buy a Nokia phone if God answers your prayers of never ever having to deal with their service department. There are no solution to the N97 issues. If there was one Nokia would have already come out with it. I feel so bad that I will be selling my N97 knowing that the buyer is buying an expensive flawed device. Wished that Nokia just refunds my $600, but dont think that is going to happen.

Shame on Nokia for putting us through such an ordeal, using their client as test bench with no solution in sight.

There are not too many people who wish to pay $600 plus for a mobile phone. When a company gets these peoples money, it is only because of the trust that the customer has on that company to produce a working device (as advertised or stated). This trust seems to be slipping away with the continueing issues with N97 and lack of proper solution. How would Nokia expect to sell another $600 phone to these people or anyone else? Tune in for the next episode of "Nokia N97 saga".

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

MenosZero, you are right, but still- why would an average customer have all the knowledge to become a geek, in order to trick their phones to work properly even for the most basic functions sometimes. Mind the price - the only true drawback here is the price - One expect a totally different experience when spending so much money on a device. I know if I use my device just to text and do some calls, it would not suffer any of the present issues /maybe/, but then again - why not go with the awesome oldtimer, the 6230. It does those things and I love that model? So?
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

I've used a iPhone it works like a charm, used a Plam Pre works like a charm, used my sisters £270 samsung works a charm. All three phones a JOY to use.

I have a n97, 30 minutes after having it I have had a an headache since - the n97 is utter rubbish, unreliable, given the price tag.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member

I'll keep this short - N97 has been the WORST phone I have ever had.  Even my old Nokia 5110 performs better than the 97.  Why, you ask? Because it does what it's meant to do and nothing less.  Instable, slow, apps don't work, sync mechanism flawed - the list goes on... GG Nokia.
Please use plain text.