Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

N70 white screen???

Advisor
puppyduck

N70 white screen???

hi I have a N70 that i bought online (via singapore) about 2.5 years ago, has been working fine, never a problem with it when all of a sudden the screen display is bright white! (flickers grey every few secs)
I can tell the phone is still working fine as it makes all the right noises when i press the buttons, and can still make calls etc.
i uploaded the latest firmware to see if it would make any difference and even took the battery & sim card out for a while to see if it would "reboot".... somebody told me to press the green button, the no 3 and the * button at the same time but i don't think that works, the phone just beeps like you're holding down too many keys

Any advise?!?!?! it's not under any warranty, how much would a phone shop charge to repair it does anybody know!?!
thanks in advance.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
edwardquan

Re: N70 white screen???

One thing you can try is to reset the phone using the *#7370# code (do it as the first thing after switching the phone on) and press OK which I think is either the left or right soft key.

However please be aware that doing so will wipe ALL the data from your phone such as information in your calendar, contacts and so on.

In order to save your data you can use the PC Suite application to save and restore the data from your phone - this software can be found here :

http://www.nokia.com/pcsuite

If this doesn't work then it's likely you have a hardware fault and you should approach your local Nokia Service Centre to get your phone fixed.

Hope this helps.

Please let me know how you get on.
Regards,

Edward
Please use plain text.
Advisor
puppyduck

hi thanks for the reply
yes it was with the PCsuite that i backed up and uploaded the firmware.
i have just put my sim card back in to try adn see if any change, seems to have changed for the worst, yesterday i was entering my pin number (blindly!) and it seemed to log me in as it made the little nokia welcome music, but that even doesn't seem to be happening now.
Can I ask does that reset code work without the sim card or do you have to be logged into it?
just checked there's a Nokia service centre in Dawson street (dublin), i might give them a ring tomorrow.

Failing all that, might consider a new one, is there a phone that anybody would recommend??!?!
I use it mainly for camera, calendar/appointments/to do/notes and obviously phone calls and txtign, and a bit of internet thrown in.
Was looking at the N95 but i don't think that's going to be available on o2 billpay for some time yet! tis a tad pricey sim-free!
Thanks again
P.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
edwardquan

13-Jun-200709:57 PM
puppyduck wrote:
Can I ask does that reset code work without the sim card or do you have to be logged into it?

Failing all that, might consider a new one, is there a phone that anybody would recommend??!?!
I use it mainly for camera, calendar/appointments/to do/notes and obviously phone calls and txtign, and a bit of internet thrown in.
Was looking at the N95 but i don't think that's going to be available on o2 billpay for some time yet! tis a tad pricey sim-free!
Thanks again
P.

The reset code should work without a SIM in it - although I've never tried so don't hold me to this !

As to a recommendation for a phone ... I have to say the N95 ticks all the boxes for me - I ended up paying 500 GBP for it ... some say I have more money than sense ... at that price I have none of both :smileyhappy:
Regards,

Edward
Please use plain text.

Howzit Edward,

I have a different problem with my N70, I have a 2GB memory card but my music player can't seem to read off it. When ever I try and use the music player I get a message on it saying it's 'openning' and then it shuts off and goes back to the main menu. I've tried reformatting the memory card and the *#7376# option but the problem persists. I'm kinda stumped, any suggestions?

puppyduck, sorry for going off topic a bit :-)
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
patc

[ Edited ]
Re the original issue: that sounds to me like a hardware problem - possibly moisture from condensation when you used it in the tropics or rain when you used it in Dublin :smileywink:

If that's the case, a service centre will either refuse to fix the phone (water damage) or charge quite a lot for a new screen. Doesn't hurt to ask, though.

My guess is that you're going to end up with a new phone .. which ain't all bad. If you can't stretch to an N95 - which would be my fav - then the N80 would do everything you need and is still pretty good - just don't load the latest V4.0707 firmware.

Re the second problem: I just had a similar problem with Music Player which I fixed by:

- removing the card
- restarting the phone
- starting Music Player
- updating the Music Library
- reinserting the card
- updating the Music Library

Could be worth a try ..

Message Edited by patc on 14-Jun-200704:45 PM

Please use plain text.
Advisor
puppyduck

with the exception of today (monsoon!) no moisture in Dublin the past couple of weeks, had a mini heatwave :smileyhappy: maybe it got too hot in my pocket!

ok i've been looking at the funds and doing my research and i'm very seriously considering the N95... couple of questions... the info that i backed up from the N70 onto my pc, would that be downloadable into the n95? (all the calendar appointments, notes, text messages and stuff)

and second... seeing as i'm convinced in my head it was the firmware upgrade that killed my n70, is it ABSOLUTEly necessary to download the updates, if your phone is working ok and not crashing?? I'm highly wary of the ole firmware mullarkey now! (ps why do you say don't load V4.0707? what does it do? what do any of them do now that you mention it! tis a bit of a grey area with me, am still learning :smileyvery-happy:)
thanks again, all advice much appreciated.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
edwardquan

14-Jun-200710:19 PM
puppyduck wrote:
with the exception of today (monsoon!) no moisture in Dublin the past couple of weeks, had a mini heatwave :smileyhappy: maybe it got too hot in my pocket!

ok i've been looking at the funds and doing my research and i'm very seriously considering the N95... couple of questions... the info that i backed up from the N70 onto my pc, would that be downloadable into the n95? (all the calendar appointments, notes, text messages and stuff)

Yes it will be downloadable - I went from a N70 to a N95 without any problems whatsoever. Nokia have a built in transfer program which does all the work for you - and you don't even need to have a SIM in the old phone :smileyhappy:

14-Jun-200710:19 PM
puppyduck wrote:
and second... seeing as i'm convinced in my head it was the firmware upgrade that killed my n70, is it ABSOLUTEly necessary to download the updates, if your phone is working ok and not crashing?? I'm highly wary of the ole firmware mullarkey now! (ps why do you say don't load V4.0707? what does it do? what do any of them do now that you mention it! tis a bit of a grey area with me, am still learning :smileyvery-happy:)
thanks again, all advice much appreciated.

No it's not ABSOLUTELY necessary - the Americans have a saying "If it ain't broke don't fix it" and you can pretty much apply this to everything that you aren't 100% competent on fixing if it all goes pear shaped ! :smileyhappy:

Unfortunately Nokia don't currently release what's called a "changelog" (lists all the changes) made to a specific firmware revision so any answers you get will be based upon user feedback rather than anything official from Nokia. Generally firmware updates bring bug fixes and very occasionally new features - if you don't have any issues with your phone then there's no reason for you to upgrade.
Regards,

Edward
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
patc

I go with Edward's "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". The firmware on my N80 is 2 versions behind the latest and my phone's working fine whereas lots of people are having awful problems with the latest version.

I have to admit that the reason I'm OK has less to do with me being clever than my network not getting around to releasing the latest firmware, however the point remains, unless you actually have a problem that the firmware might fix (which means you've heard a rumour on here as you're not going to get that kind of information from Nokia), you're probably best just leaving things be.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member

Ive got the exact same problem with my nokia n70. It actually seems to be a common enough problem with this make of phone (from searching on web, at least). I tried all the usual things like resetting and the white screen remains. Did you find a solution to this?

Id prefer to fix the problem rather than to buy a new phone -- particularly a new nokia. I wouldnt buy a new nokia if this cant be fixed -- dont think id ever buy nokia again!

Im also living in Dublin and Im curious to know if you found anywhere that could fix it.

Thanks!
Please use plain text.
Registered Member

I have the same problem.And im my case i like this phone,but the service centre is too expensive esp. for an old phone like this.My phone first pixilated then started to dazzel.then it goes white,but the phone is still on.when i go to menu and go left and right,the screen changes purple blue green ect with every press.also the screen goes alil to the right every time.in music player when a song is played,the screen flashes thos colours like a disco light constantly.Now the phone doesnt wanna switch on.Please help me with a solution.I've tried all the troubleshooting.nothng works

Please use plain text.