Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

N79 music player can't actually play music

Mobile Guru
sockatume

N79 music player can't actually play music

Here's an odd one, I got my phone back from a service (which didn't do anything to fix the issues I reported, but that's another story) and they'd run Software Update to... the same version of the Software. I'm not sure what they hoped to achieve there.

Anyway, since then, the Music Player sometimes decides it just doesn't want to play music. The actually audio player app runs fine if I select a file via the File Manager, Podcasting, etc., but there's no way to get it to actually play music from the "Music Player" menu. Resetting sometimes works, sometimes doesn't. Any suggestions other than the obvious "run a software update again"?

Help I'm trapped in a sig factory.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

Re: N79 music player can't actually play music

Perhaps the music player is having some trouble with your memory card, possibly because of some left over files from before it went away?

Does it behave if you place the music in the phones memory, then remove the memory card?

Also are you running the latest firmware (v20.175) that was released today? 

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
sockatume

Nah, it's not an issue with the memory as far as I can tell. It used to work fine, and it still works fine after a reboot, without changing the memory contents. I had first assumed it was because I had a bunch of tracks in the card's root directory, but I moved those and it didn't fix it either. Next time it misbehaves I'll copy some tracks to the phone memory and remove the card, like you suggest, see if I can rule that out.

New firmware? Hot damn, as soon as T-Mo get that customised I'm all over it.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

I hope t-mobile cripple customise the firmware and release it quickly for you :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
sockatume

It's not too bad, just a shutdown jingle, a link to their video store, and web'n'walk logo for the browser. They take their sweet time on the software updates, but they do usually turn up eventually. Even the T-Mobile logo on the facia is above the plastic, so I'll scratch it off gently over time.

I'll debrand when it's out of warranty, of course. :smileywink:

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
sockatume

Okay, it happened again, and I tried removing the memory card. It wouldn't play the files on phone memory either. Going to "now playing" actually gave a general system error, and the second time it just came up with the current track as "empty". Punchline is, I was playing music via the file manager at the time. So it seems that the music library app temporarily loses the ability to talk to the actual music-playing app.

I did install Mobbler last night, so I wasn't stuck for music, though.

Please use plain text.