Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: N8-00 Connections

ifPhotography

N8-00 Connections

Hi All,

quick question

How come when I am connected to a working wifi connection my N8 still uses to its 3g connection to do everything. To test I set the connection manager to only use the wifi and the connection fails. 

When I am in the office and at home I don't want to be using 3g I want to use my wifi.

It seems strange that the N8-00 would automatically select the option that costs me money.

If this is the way the phone operates it will be returned fairly quickly.

ta

Graham

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
synth_fg

Check how you have prioritised the destinations in your internet connections

wi fi networks need to be prioritised before the 3G connection

you also need to set the internet destination as default

not on voda by any chance ?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
93tid

ifPhotography wrote:

How come when I am connected to a working wifi connection my N8 still uses to its 3g connection to do everything. To test I set the connection manager to only use the wifi and the connection fails.

That sounds to me either like a non-working wifi connection or applications with access points defined incorrectly.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
Fender77

[ Edited ]

Go to Menu-> settings-> connectivity->settings->destinations. Make sure your wifi accesspoints are under the "internet" category and are set as highest priority.

When this is done make sure that the internet needing apps is set to use the internet category as accesspoint. E.g. for the browser: Menu->internet->options->settings->General-> set connection to internet. Make sure your other apps uses the same.

Now make sure that you turn on wlan.

This should make the phone use your wlan before network data. You will however need to be within reach of the wlan:smileyhappy:

EDIT: Too slow for you synth_fg:smileyhappy: Does voda make you get stuck to using their accesspoints??

Unlimited Free Image and File Hosting at MediaFire
Please use plain text.
ifPhotography

Thanks folks - tried all that and its not happening. Basically I have an N8 to my left that will only work online via 3g and a well behaved iphone to my right is working fine on the same wifi connection.

Its the same on my home wifi. The iphone routes fine but the N8 still starts a 3g connection every bloody time. 

Its getting closer to the bin at this stage

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
93tid

Fender77 wrote:

EDIT: Too slow for you synth_fg:smileyhappy: Does voda make you get stuck to using their accesspoints??

I have three handsets on Vodafone and none of them is stuck to using their access points.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
93tid

[ Edited ]

ifPhotography wrote:

Thanks folks - tried all that and its not happening. Basically I have an N8 to my left that will only work online via 3g and a well behaved iphone to my right is working fine on the same wifi connection.

Its the same on my home wifi. The iphone routes fine but the N8 still starts a 3g connection every bloody time. 

Its getting closer to the bin at this stage

Which network are you on and does your phone have network-branded firmware ? The only one I can think of with such strong restrictions is 3.

In your place I would experiment by deleting all access points but wifi. I find it hard to believe that none of the suggestions worked, I have my handsets set up like that (on different networks) and they behave perfectly.

Please use plain text.
ifPhotography

I'm on o2 on both phones. 

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
synth_fg

No but there have been issues with odd behavior with Voda UK access points,

To the op back up your data and try a factory reset,

redefine the access points and see if the behavior persists

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
kelevra

[ Edited ]

sorry to butt in,

@Synth, do you know of any way to delete the vodafone access points, or at least look at the  settings for them?  all i get is a pop up telling me they are protected connections...  im using an 8 year old sim card (im assuming the protections start here -- or would they be in the firmware? had a UIQ3 SE before, could at least view the protected settings on it)  have four on the list, 2xPAYG and 2xcontract.........    only need the one.

I had a bit of an issue with 3g connecting over my wireless network,  think my problem was down to an app that was set up to use a different destination (list of possible connections--prioritized)

So even if wireless was connected, when i opened this app it started 3G...

Check your individual app settings (in apps)

OR

some apps are treated as 'software suites' by the application manager   (in the uninstall list)  long press on apps and look for the option suite settings........  some apps have network settings/priorities listed here.

Any one know a way to get vodafone off my handset?  if there technical support are only able to walk people through switching off and on again, i dont see why i should trust their firmware rapists.............

Ive already uninstalled or deleted anything i can.   Vodafone apps and websites are laughable,  seriously nokia, you should embargo these things from bringing shame on to your handsets..........................   You do that well enough alone    :smileyvery-happy:

although beta-labs are redeeming you lately..

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
synth_fg

@Synth, do you know of any way to delete the vodafone access points, or at least look at the  settings for them?  all i get is a pop up telling me they are protected connections...  im using an 8 year old sim card (im assuming the protections start here -- or would they be in the firmware? had a UIQ3 SE before, could at least view the protected settings on it)  have four on the list, 2xPAYG and 2xcontract.........    only need the one.

Seriously get a new sim else you may have problems with some services,

voda should be able to do a replacement instore

as for the access points

a factory reset should clear them,

if not type *#7370# into the dialer, (after making a backup), which will restore the phone to an out of box state

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
kelevra

Im not a fan of factory resets.

until something goes completely non-responsive.

And if the connections are in the sim or firmware,  guess what,  sim is unaffected by reset and  the firmware was in the box too...........

I have never had to reinstall an operating system (7 years with xp - boots in 25 seconds, shuts in 10--- same hardware/extra ram-- 1 new PSU),  there is always a way to repair and place some preventative measure to remove any future risks.

There are ways to circumvent the vodafone protected connections, but i dont like all the screen litter.    I only need the wireless and a wap connection.

Might drop into a store and see about a new sim, i think they sent me a clone once (3 years ago), i never had it activated,  they said just to store it, incase current one fails.  

I've been using it as a phonebook backup.

They didn't seem too bothered about me switching, and the internet services were **bleep**, at best, then.  everything i needed worked/works.

I would phone VF, but english is not a strong suit in their call centre's.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
jmdesaojose

Hi. You have to state your conection priority.

It works perfectly.

If you dont know to do that, be free to ask me.

Please use plain text.