Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

N8 022.014 - Memory low. Delete or move some data ...

Counsellor
m2_225288

N8 022.014 - Memory low. Delete or move some data from C: Phone memory

Hi all, just few days after upgrade to 022.014 via post on http://forum.dailymobile.se/index.php?board=97.0 as I could not get Update 1/2 and 2/2 for Anna (the phone had 139.9 MB
after upgrade out of 256 MB available on C: drive) I have now 12.6 MB on C: drive so if I have more than 1 app open I will get this msg. "Memory low. Delete or move some data from C: Phone memory"

Is there any way to clean up the C: drive?

Can some of the stuff on C: drive be moved to E: drive?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
jimmyireland

Re: N8 022.014 - Memory low. Delete or move some data from C: Phone memory

/t5/Pool-of-Knowledge/Low-Phone-memory-c-memory-and-RAM-issues/td-p/535295

If  i have helped at all a click on the white star below would be nice thanks.

Now using the Lumia 1520
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
m2_225288

Hi jimmyireland,

thank you for your reply.

1. I have cleared Cache, gaining 9MB ( 21.6 M avail)

2. Can't set messages to E: drive I have no option for it :smileysad:

3. Do not use OVI and only install stuff on E: drive anyway

4. Removed Microsoft Communicator, but unable to remove Ovi 1 MB, Ovi Store 3 MB, Social 3 MB, SSOUI 1 MB :smileysad:  So have 26.9 MB available out of 256 MB :smileysad:

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
jimmyireland

you cant change where to save messages on any symbian3 device

If  i have helped at all a click on the white star below would be nice thanks.

Now using the Lumia 1520
Please use plain text.
Sage
laffcarl

[ Edited ]

Opera tends to install on c: removing that gained me 30mb :smileywink:

Please use plain text.
Professor
cataholic

Is the folder C:/temp empty?

Please use plain text.
Sage
laffcarl

Uninstalling openoffice gets ya 40meg freed up :smileywink:
Please use plain text.
mr_who515

i'm facing the exact same problem now. i just updated my N8 with Symian Anna Update 1&2 and my drive C went from 80MB to 11MB. i tried everything but nothing seems to work here!! i even tried to restore it but i couldn't. i don't know what to do and i don't want to format my phone. please help.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
m2_225288

HI,

I have deleted in my Messaging (SMS) Inbox any files received over the Bluetooth and Sent SMS and that gave my total of 67.9 M which sorted my Memory low message while browsing :smileyhappy:

It does not help that I have over 1k SMS in my Inbox + 1000k in Outbox, but looking at the backup files which have been restored and the biggest files war:

UserFiles.arc 107 MB nad

Messages.arc 76.33 MB :smileysad:

Shame that SMS can't be moved to E: drive neither the E-Mails.

Please use plain text.
Sage
optiplex330

I reckon may be the best solution is to back up your data and then pop into a Nokia Care Center and do a reformat and clean installation of Anna.

And yes, it is unfortunate sms/email can not be moved to Mass Memory with Anna. And message with large attachment can quickly eats into your phone memory. What a pity.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
christoforous

hi guys....i lost about 30 mb after anna update.....so i decided to factory restore(delete data and restore). WOW....instantly got 168mb on drive c....be warned though....back up your fone because it will be fresh as a new one(all personal files and apps removed)....

Then, i removed social app(facebook) becauses it useless and removed some kinda installer that the name ecapes me(thinks its social installer).....then i set my text messages and push mail to save to drive e....i have about 173mb on drive c now.  The restore does not take u back to symbian3...it will be a fresh state of anna. I read on another forum how to make your messages and save to drive e.....

on drive c....the file "MailForExchange"......go to drive e and create a folder EXACTLY like the one in drive c including caps. then go to open M.F.E. in drive c and copy the  file inside(admin_log1.txt) and paste it inside M.F.E. in drive e then delete the MFE in drive c and your done.....ENJOY!

to avoid instant data build up in drive c after the restore....go to ovi store....account....installation preferences and set both of those setting to either drive e or memory card. 

Please use plain text.
Sage
archie_

@christoforous, ...then i set my text messages and push mail to save to drive e... How?
Symbian connected me to the world, to my dreams.. Thank-you Nokia
Please use plain text.
Sage
archie_

Best suggestion I've seen so had for memory management on the N8 (^3, Belle) - delete your email boxes, add them again afterwards. Then try keep your inbox at hotmail or gmail, etc. tidy.
Symbian connected me to the world, to my dreams.. Thank-you Nokia
Please use plain text.
Serafeim_gr

N8 022.014 - Memory low. Delete or move some data from C: Phone memory

I don't think we should be searching for something to remove. I need my emails and i need office. It is frustrating  not to be able to use our phone while nokia knows about this problem and does nothing about it. I think that nokia should find the solution and send an update about this issue immediately. My N8 keeps complaining about its pure memory and asking me to free some memory on the drive c but i cannot do something about it because i have no access to those files and even if we had i wouldn’t know which files to delete because i imagine that the memory is full with system files. The phone does not do basics anymore and i have to restart and restart. I am loosing phone calls because of this and i have to restart and call back. I get messages like i cannot synchronize your mail because there is no free space on drive c or you cannot use Facebook for the same reason. Every time I do the 8 seconds reset i have to sign in again to social networks.  Sometimes in the sms folder I see only phone numbers and no contacts. Sometimes when it rings it uses picture of another friend. Sometimes when I switch on my n8 the icons are loading for a very long time like 5 minutes or more and I have to restart again.

I think Nokia should release an update to solve this frustrating memory problem. Maybe by making the mass memory responsible for handling mails maps etc. I don’t know what exactly they should do and that should not be bothering me but it is pretty simple in my mind that the phone should be useful. I am reading forums and losing my time trying to make my phone useful but I can’t.

I am very disappointed because i am a fan of nokia phones but i may have to hear my friends and reconsider and stop disagreeing or arguing with them about it and make thinks simple for me. Ok I have better camera…that’s all.

Thank you and I am sorry if I wasn’t so kind as I would like to be but I am a little agitated because a “smart phone” should make thinks easier not harder for me.

Please use plain text.
Professor
j444lh

There are three main causes for low "C" space

1, email and messages, check settings, backup and delete old messages.

2, Browser cache, clear them regularly

3, Apps installed on "C". Uninstall any you've installed, check your Store settings are saving to "E" Mass memory and re-install.

We would all like more "C" on the N8 but....

"C" can't be increased in size and it's highly unlikely Nokia will change the way core parts of the firmware work on a two year old phone so the only option is to follow all the suggestions on the various threads about this.

N95 (RM159) V31.0.017, N8 (RM596) Belle 111.040.1511
Please use plain text.
Advisor
mydarkglobe

[ Edited ]

I gave some suggestions on N8 freeing main disk space

Symbyan Belle: Unexpected foolish use of C: disk space

and it is possible to gain about 35-40Mb on C:

Regards
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
benjamic

yes, it is confirmed, I'm using yahoo mail on my N8, after deleted entire mail account on N8, and reinstall, I gain back 33MB on phone memory C:

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
satan911

the simplest way to uninstall apps like OVI store and OVI music etc..  is u need to have Netqin mobile sequrity ( the version I have is 5.0.62.12), NETQIN instals itself on C memory and  uses 2 - 2 & 1/2 MB space but the 'system optimization --> app manager' option helps u to uninstall most of the apps that are troubling u.....  :smileyvery-happy:

tried and tested....

:thumbsup: cheers :thumbsup:

Please use plain text.
Jahangir1984

Hi.

I get a problem here with my phone  that always showing this message:  Memory low. Delete or move some data from C: Phone memory. How to move this please replay me.

Please use plain text.
Ex-Moderator (Retired)
emilygreen

Hi Jahangir1984

Thank you for posting and welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! :Cool:

The phone notifies you if the phone memory is getting low. To free phone memory you have the following options:

• Move data that you want to keep to an alternative memory (mass memory or memory card, if available) or to a compatible computer.
  • Remove data you no longer need.

Use File Manager or the respective application in your phone to remove data or to move data to alternative memory as described in the user guide. Typically you first mark files to be removed or moved and then you select the corresponding option (Delete or Move to folder).

Use Nokia Suite to move data to a compatible computer.

To maximize free spaces to your phone memory, you can remove or move the following:

• Messages from InboxDrafts and Sent folders in Messaging
  • Retrieved e-mail messages from the phone memory
  • Saved Web pages. Clear the web browser cache to free some phone memory (e.g. select Options > Clear privacy data Cache).
  • Saved images, videos, or sound files (in GalleryPhotosVideos or Music player)
  • Contact information (in Contacts)
  • Calendar notes (in Calendar)
  • Downloaded application packages
  • If there are applications which are not needed any more, uninstall them with Application Manager
  • Any other data that you no longer need

If you are deleting multiple items and any of the following notes are shown: Not enough memory to perform operation. Delete some data first or Memory low. Delete some data, try deleting items one by one (starting from the smallest item). After deleting data, restart (power off/on) your phone.

Tips: Use the memory card or mass memory instead of phone memory in the Camera or other applicable applications in case the selection is available (e.g. via Options >Settings > Memory in use).

If my post helped you, please don't forget to click on the "White Star" and if it resolved your issue click on "Accept as Solution" :smileywink:

Nokia Lumia 920 Nokia Asha 308 Nokia 808 PureView 
Please use plain text.