Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

N8 Battery Replacement

Counsellor

N8 Battery Replacement

I am planning to buy N8, but I don't know if the battery can be replaced. I know these batteries last about 1 year and hence I will need to replace it.

Will original N8 battery be available for me to buy at reasonable cost? Will I be able to replace the battery myself?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
no1_slumko

Re: N8 Battery Replacement

The battery can be replaced, it's just not advised that you do it yourself. Actually the N8 is not the only device that uses that specific battery so you definitely will be able to get hold of it in a years time. I think you should expect it to last longer than that. My worst battery lasted a good 3 years.
Honestly if you know what you're doing you shouldn't have trouble replacing the battery yourself. anyone who can use a screw driver can replace that thing given the right tool
Show your appreciation. Hit that kudos button real hard
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
rayhipkiss

If you attempt to replace the battery yourself you will lose your warranty

Ray
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Polchraine

rayhipkiss wrote:
If you attempt to replace the battery yourself you will lose your warranty

Ray

If the phone is out of warranty then that is not a problem as there is nothing to loose.

If the phone is in warranty then I would expect the battery to be replaced free of charge if it fails.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
rayhipkiss

As the OP is yet to buy an N8 he will be under warranty when he does buy one. If he is in Europe, he will be covered by a two year warranty, so if he attempts to change the battery himself during this period the remainder of the warranty will be voided.

Cheers.

Ray 

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
farby

Whether the phone is under warranty or not... this Forum doesn't allow to discuss such issues not recommended by Nokia...

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

That´s true but don´t forget that the whole phone, including the battery has a one year warranty, so if your battery fails during the first year Nokia will replace it.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
rayhipkiss

elboyero wrote:
That´s true but don´t forget that the whole phone, including the battery has a one year warranty, so if your battery fails during the first year Nokia will replace it.

Actually, the European warranty period is 24 months for the phone and six months for the battery.

Other countries outside the EU will have different warranty periods, but generally speaking batteries usually only have a six month warranty.

Cheers.

Ray 

Please use plain text.
Professor

Although it is obviously dependant on the country, I was pretty sure the battery warranty on the N8 is equal to the standard warranty?
*shrugs*. In Australia it's 1year warranty on the battery.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
farby

metalfan wrote:

Although it is obviously dependant on the country, I was pretty sure the battery warranty on the N8 is equal to the standard warranty?

Yes..that is for Integrated Battery as in case of Nokia N8..

Please use plain text.
Sage
optiplex330

farby wrote:

metalfan wrote:

Yes..that is for Integrated Battery as in case of Nokia N8..

May I see that in print from Nokia about Integreted Battery having 12 months warranty? Thanks

Please use plain text.
Employee
jazkat

Full Nokia Manufacturers Limited Warranty terms for Australia are published at www.nokia.com.au/warranty.

Here is the relevant extract from those terms in answer to your question:

(iv) Twelve (12) months for the main device battery if the battery is integrated within the device and non-removable

Cheers

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
farby

[ Edited ]

..but surprised NOT to find a separate mention regarding this on other region Nokia sites...Does this mean its ONLY applicable for Australia ???

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
rayhipkiss

farby wrote:

..but surprised NOT to find a separate mention regarding this on other region Nokia sites...Does this mean its ONLY applicable for Australia ???

Looks like the European warranty doesn't match the Australian one regarding the battery.

http://europe.nokia.com/support/repair-and-recycle/european-limited-warranty

Obviously different countries have their own consumer laws that govern warranty periods which Nokia have to abide by if they want to sell their products in that particular country.

Ray 

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
farby

Fully agree.. but it seems the Nokia Europe site mentions about the Warranty valid as of April 1, 2005. Were there any such phones that time with Integrated Battery..? May be they have not updated the information on Nokia sites other than the Australian..Can jazkatEmployee or anyone else from Nokia throw some light ?

Please use plain text.
Sage
optiplex330

Nothing to worry. Even though it is not stated in the standard warranty, N8's battery warranty is for 12 months. I just confirmed that with Nokia.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
rayhipkiss

optiplex330 wrote:

Nothing to worry. Even though it is not stated in the standard warranty, N8's battery warranty is for 12 months. I just confirmed that with Nokia.

Yes, but in which country?

Ray 

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

[ Edited ]

What is the alternative? Nokia Care? I am not relying on them again given my own past experience, where they completely destroyed my carefully maintained N82, and also based on reviews (just search "Nokia Care review") in the web.

If I have to rely on them for anything, and especially something as simple as battery replacement, I am sorry to say but Nokia phones will be absolute no go for me.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Nokia has to wake up and see the problem with the battery capacity.
They must build and use batteries more than 3.000mAh poly-ion.
We cant charge the battery every 8 hours.
We cant be with 1 charger in our pocket always and search for power supply always.
Build higher capacity batteries NOW !!!
Please use plain text.