Search Discussions:

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced search
Welcome to our community! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Microsoft mobile devices users around the world in English. Please take a moment to read our community guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others you need to sign in first. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. If you don't have an account yet, please register here.

Re: N8/C7 PURPLE SCREEN ISSUE AND HOW TO SPOT IF Y...

Contributor

Re: N8/C7 PURPLE SCREEN ISSUE AND HOW TO SPOT IF YOU HAVE IT PLEASE READ

hey man.. i want to ask if the nokia guys told you on HOW they fixed your n8?

Advisor
Metfan

No, they didn't tell me or the service tech at the service center how it was fixed. The service center technican tried flashing my phone and changing the screen, but the purple was still there. That's when we decided to send it into the main service center in Texas. Supposidly there were two other N8's that were there for the same reason.

Once the Texas center said they fixed all the phones they sent them back and I went to pick mine up. They said all the N8's that went in from New York were fixed, now having read these stories from our fellow N8 owners about their screens not getting fixed after mutliple tries and coming back scratched or damaged in some way, I admit, I was worried.

But to my surprise my phone was fine. I do think Nokia knows what's happening and now after months of being on the market finally got some correct screens from Samsung (since demand now shouldn't be as great as it was in the beginning)

I would recommend those that are still having issues, send them into the Main Center in your country. They may have access to the most screens and thus there would be a greater chance of having the proper ones. The smaller local Nokia service centers may only get one batch of screens and they may not be the corrected ones.

Good luck to you all, I know it's not easy to deal with this issue, but Nokia is capable of fixing it.

Damnhot

Hi everyone.

I want to share my experience with the Nokia care centre here in Dubai. I bought a Nokia N8 made in China about 6 weeks ago.

I bought a Nokia N8 and decided to watch a video the first night I had it. It was an episode of Deadliest Catch which has a lot of darker scenes and it was apparent immediately that there was a problem with the phone. Greys were getting rendered as purple and it was very hard on my eyes to the point of being unwatchable. I didn't even know about the problem people were having until I did a search the next day.

I downloaded the test image and sure enough, there was lots of purple. I went to the dealer I bought the phone from and showed them but to my surprise, in the bright shop lights, the test image looked perfect. They told me to go to the care centre and take it up with them.

The care centre wouldn't admit that there was a problem with the phone but they said they would look at it. They gave me a banged up replacement  N8 to take with me and I thought I would see how the episode looked on it. Well, I played it in all different lighting conditions, a really dark room being the best, and the screen was perfect. Not a hint of purple. After a few hours they rang and said the phone was fixed. They had changed the screen and it looked to be ok. I took it home and played the episode again under the same conditions as the replacement phone and still there was purple. Not as much mind you but no where near the quality of the replacement phone.

Back to the care centre to see what they would do. After some discussion I asked if they would put the screen out of the replacement phone in my phone to which they said yes if that is what I wanted. I was curious to see if it was a screen or software issue. I got the phone back with the changed screen and sure enough, the episode played perfectly.

I have to say that I was lucky that I found a replacement screen and that the care centre here did a pretty good job. They damaged the lining between the screen and the outer glass but they fixed that after I took the phone back for the last time. I am not sure if they just took the lining out and didn't replace it but it has no impact on the phone as far as I can tell.

All in all, a reasonable experience by comparison to what others have been through. I am sorry people can't have the phone they are paying for because it is a very nice phone in my opinion. It is a biased opinion because it is my first smart phone experience. As others have stated before, this is categorically a screen issue and not a software one.

Good luck in the pursuit of getting the good screen.

Contributor

wow you're very lucky... i too had the same experience in my local care center here where they said that they tried all their screens but all of them had the purple tint... after reading your post about sending it to the nokia hq in my country, i told the nokia center to do it and yesterday i contacted them and they said that they all ready sent my phone.. so right now i'm waiting if finally it will be fixed... i am hoping and praying this annoying purple nightmare will be over...

Registered Member
aravindraj212

hai friends my nokia c7 purple tint problem is solved now by nokia care ........

i had heat complent in my c7 i gave to nokia care they send my mobile to chennai office then my nokia c7's both heat and purple tint problem is solved now..........

okmvijay

i am also facing purple tint issue,should i go for nokia care or waiting for anna release ,because many people told anna solved the purple tint problem,plz help i am from coimbatore,tamilnadu, india
Advisor
coolbuddyv

okmvijay wrote:
i am also facing purple tint issue,should i go for nokia care or waiting for anna release ,because many people told anna solved the purple tint problem,plz help i am from coimbatore,tamilnadu, india

Hi OKMVIJAY..

when did u purhcase your N8..

yes you should immediately take it to the nearest nokia care center..

okmvijay

january 2010
Contributor
Chirag14

I bought a Nokia N8 on sunday 24th July, 2011 and immedaitely noticed the purple tint on my phone and therefore took it back  to the dealer but the dealer refused to take it back as all the N8's with him had the same issue and thus he said it must be a feature, so I visited the Nokia Care Centre at Irla in Prime Mall, Mumbai, India and their response to the purple tint issue is that it is on all Nokia Phones and therefore is a feature , when i pointed out to them that on the Nokia forum the company itself has accepted that the purple tint is a screen defect the executive said that there is a difference in the price of Nokia phones listed on the website and the price they are sold at in Nokia Shops, so thus implying that whatever Nokia has accepted on the website does not necessarily apply to them, he also refuse to give me a case sheet no., so now kindly tell me what am i supposed to do get my problem solved because the Nokia Care Centre refuses to acknowledge it in the first place.

Advisor
Metfan

Sorry to hear about tht Chirag, man even the newest handsets still have this issue. I'm worried about these screens Nokia is still getting from Samsung.

How bad is it? I've heard there are various degress of purple tint, my first screen was very bad, you could clearly see the purple in the clock and in the tron trailers.

Also could you let us know if your new set has Anna on it? All the new sets are suppose to ship with this firmware, and I've heard some people say it can fix this problem (I myself don't believe this, but I've heard it)

If your local NCC won't help you (they aren't suppose to, they should know about the issue), I would recommend you contact the main office in your country, they for sure will know about the problem and they'll have you send it in for a replacement screen. I actually would recommend doing this any way, it appears the main big offices are the ones with the most screens and thus would have access to the corrected ones.

Hope your issues gets resolved.

Counsellor
dshroar

Yesterday I checked a new X7, they too have the same purple tint issue. Only E6 and E7 had the flawless screens.
Counsellor
vtoroff

dshroar wrote:
Only E6 and E7 had the flawless screens.

And also C6-01, he has the perfect screen!

P.S. Photo screens X7, N8 and C7:

roshan46

i have the same problem of colour tint. I gave my c7 to nokia customer care at kota , rajasthan, india, for service. But the screen now become more worst & after 20 min when i took it to home, it was dead. It happened for 2 times after the service from ncc. I gave it for 3rd time . My all new c7 became worst, if this time the same problem exist , i will file case to consumer court. Me great fan of nokia , but in this way they r making their fans unhappy. Wats the use of buying high range phones from nokia its better to choose other brand. "NOKIA PLEASE solve the issue of colour tint "
Counsellor
vtoroff

The Company Nokia, can you call it a defect "effect"??

Foto screens C6-01 & N8:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFITHXy_jh8

Counsellor
jezston

ADVICE PLEASE!

My N8 was sent to Nokia last week to replace the bottom panel (where the menu button is) as it had become loose.

I should say the lady I've been speaking to at Nokia has been very helpful, and despite initially being referred to Carphone Warehouse to do the repair, with an £85 plus parts charge being listed (making the repair likely to cost £100+!!!) Nokia agreed to do it for free.

However, I just had a call this morning saying they had received the phone back from repair and they were very unhappy with the workmanship, didn't think they'd done a good job, and they were not prepared to send me the phone back - they would rather send me a refurb replacement.

Now I bought my N8 back in ... November or December I think, and I have not had the purple tint issue. I said to the Nokia staff member that I was concerned I would get a phone with this purple tint issue if I got a new (by which they mean refurbished) handset. 

Of course the Nokia rep stated there is no such issue with the N8. They had never heard of this 'purple tint' issue. *Sigh*.

Anyone know (I'm afraid I don't have time to read through all 30+ pages to get a better idea) quite how widespread this issue is? Might I have any reason to be confident that I WON'T get a replacement phone with this issue? And will I be taken seriously if I get one with this issue and I want it changed?

Professor
bumblebirra

[ Edited ]

You should see a solicitor. Nokia are utterly taking the **bleep** they way they deal with their customers at every level.

I cringe at the thought of going into any Nokia care point.

MODERATOR'S NOTE:

Please be informed that we do not allow the usage of foul/offensive languages in this forum. While your feedback is welcome in the discussions board, we encourage users to voice out concerns in a tone that is respectful to Nokia and other users to maintain a friendly environment. Thank you for understanding.

Damnhot

Jezston

As a suggestion I would talk to the Nokia rep and insist on getting your phones screen put into the refirbed phone. That is the only way in my opinion, and from my experience re above post, that you can assure yourself that you will have a phone that is the same quality as you had.

It is a simple task for them to change the screen out. I waited in the NCC for 10-15 minutes while they did it.

Hope this helps.

Counsellor
jezston

[ Edited ]

Nokia rep was quite insistent that the purple screen issue is no longer an issue (it appears they have found out about it since I mentioned it), and none of the phones they might send me will have this issue. I hope they are correct, and I'm sure it'll be resolvable if by chance I do get a phone with the issue.

Sadly they also stated they wouldn't be able to ship me a phone with PR2.0/Anna installed or a blue model :smileywink:

Contributor

at last my purple tint issue is solved... after more than a month of emailing and calling nokia for almost everyday, they finally agreed to replace my phone with a brand new one... they cant fix the screen because all of their replacement screens in the care center were also defective... so i demanded a replacement.. it took a month before the nokia hq sent a new phone... i did all the tests to make sure it was purple tint free.. the tron trailers were clear and no purple and brown tint whatsoever.. and the test images were purple free so i was very happy.. now i'm just waiting for the symbian anna update :smileytongue:

getting nokia to send a replace was not easy.. i emailed them everyday, called and threatened them that i will file a case because they were violating our consumer laws by denying to replace their defective product after many times of trying to fix it but it was still defective.

my advice is check your local consumer laws and use these against nokia so they will be obligated to replace your phones.. but another advice is first ask the care center to send your phone to the nokia hq in your country because this may fix your problem.. as for me it did not but for some they say that nokia hq has many screens so might get lucky and get a defect free one.. 

goodluck everyone i hope that all of you will have your satisfaction... just be patient and keep on contacting nokia. use your consumer rights

Professor
bumblebirra

How long did you have to be without your phone? Which country did you do this from?
I might try this hoping it might fix a few other serious issues which I can also throw into the complaint.