Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: N8/C7 PURPLE SCREEN ISSUE AND HOW TO SPOT IF Y...

Contributor
superalbanian

Re: N8/C7 PURPLE SCREEN ISSUE AND HOW TO SPOT IF YOU HAVE IT PLEASE READ

You may have right, for the 15 phones C7 / N8 that I have seen only two had the screen properly, should be 90%

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
93tid

superalbanian wrote:

You may have right, for the 15 phones C7 / N8 that I have seen only two had the screen properly, should be 90%

And here I was, naively assuming that you made your statement based on statistics covering the hundreds of thousands of N8s and C7s sold worldwide.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
vtoroff

93tid wrote:

And what is your evidence supporting this statement ?

Go to the shops of your city and see for yourself, of twenty pieces N8/C7 only 1-2 will have a normal screen.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
rayhipkiss

vtoroff wrote:

93tid wrote:

And what is your evidence supporting this statement ?

Go to the shops of your city and see for yourself, of twenty pieces N8/C7 only 1-2 will have a normal screen.

How many cities in how many countries have you visited to give any statistical facts regarding the purple screen defect?

Ray 

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
vtoroff

[ Edited ]

rayhipkiss wrote:

How many cities in how many countries have you visited to give any statistical facts regarding the purple screen defect?

I'm talking about their city. I think that the same situation in other cities.
Do you think that it is not?
Difficult for you to check it out personally?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
rayhipkiss

vtoroff wrote:

rayhipkiss wrote:

I'm talking about their city. I think that the same situation in other cities.
Do you think that it is not?
Difficult for you to check it out personally?

It's not for us to THINK but to provide hard data when making statements of how many defective screens there are out there. If you can collect data on the exact amount of defective screens around the world and post the results here, fair enough. If you can't then it's best not to make general statements based on beliefs and the little data within this thread.

Best regards

Ray 

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
vtoroff

rayhipkiss wrote:
 It's not for us to THINK but to provide hard data when making statements of how many defective screens there are out there. If you can collect data on the exact amount of defective screens around the world and post the results here, fair enough. If you can't then it's best not to make general statements based on beliefs and the little data within this thread.

Be more careful, I wrote: I'm talking about their city!!

Please use plain text.
Contributor
superalbanian

What are you a lawyer ? Why you are writing here ? we say what we want. What matter that for you!  Rei

Please use plain text.
Ex-Moderator (Retired)
cowipedia

Hi All,

Just a gentle reminder, we are using a peer-to-peer discussion forum and we have to maintain a friendly atmosphere. Please ensure polite and respectful correspondence with each other to avoid causing arguments and/or offending other users. Thank you for understanding.

Regards,

Please use plain text.
Professor
cataholic

[ Edited ]

For myself my N8 doesn't have the purple screen issue. Furthermore I do not personally know anyone who does have it and it has never been mentioned on any of the relevant forums in my own country as far as I have seen. It is not a much discussed matter on the international forums that I monitor either.

Nokia are the only ones who know what the returns are from the problem and I, for one, am prepared to accept MichealS's word that the percentage affected is low. I also accept that peoples best course of action if they have the problem is to take their phone to a care centre and if that does not resolve the issue to elevate their problem further up the organisation.

I live in a very consumer friendly country where retailers are very willing to help potential customers but even so if I went into a shop and asked to have all their N8 sealed packages opened up so I could inspect the screens I would be politely told that is not possible. That even if I intended buying one. There are some very disaffected posters here who claim they have done so and I find that very hard to believe.

It seems to me that they have some sort of private vendetta or other reasons to keep harping on about the matter in a nonsensical way to the extent that they have lost all credibility. For example, one poster has at the moment made in excess of 60 posts to these user forums and all have been about this claimed problem with so called test pictures etc. He has not made any post ever on any other matter that I can see nor offered help to another user on any other matter. He has, however, freely called other posters liars (and he is not the only one that has such a disrespectful attitude to others). Despite a continual stream of complaining he has, of course, not fixed his phone by doing so. It is very difficult in my view to believe such people are either sincere or not disaffected to such an extent that their contributions are worthless.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
superalbanian

This looks like an electoral article of a politician who criticizes opposition.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
rayhipkiss

superalbanian wrote:

What are you a lawyer ? Why you are writing here ? we say what we want. What matter that for you!  Rei

You can say what you want, but that doesn't make it fact. So it matters to me if wrong information is spread about. It gives people the wrong impression.

All the best.

Ray 

Please use plain text.
Sage
bumblebirra

We have no way of knowing for certain what the reality is. But it's certainly the impression from the general feedback on this and other forums that it's more than just a small number of handsets involved. It's more like just about everyone who bought their phone from January 2011 onwards.

What I'd like to know is how Nokia can admit it's a hardware issue, implying that they've identified the exact cause, and yet people are still buying new phones with purple tint and getting their phones 'repaired' only to find they still have purple tint.
This shouldn't be happening AT ALL if Nokia have admitted they've identified a hardware cause, no matter how few phones this problem has supposedly affected.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
jezston

@michaels

> The purple tint is a hardware issue related to the screens of a small proportion of the N8 and C7 devices sold, users who have it need to refer to their local Nokia Care point.

What do I do if I had a phone that didn't have this issue, returned it to Nokia due to another problem, and then they supplied me with a new phone that has this issue denying such an issue exists?

Please use plain text.
Professor
cataholic

[ Edited ]

bumblebirra wrote:
We have no way of knowing for certain what the reality is. But it's certainly the impression from the general feedback on this and other forums that it's more than just a small number of handsets involved. It's more like just about everyone who bought their phone from January 2011 onwards.

The same, I don't know what the returns have been but I do know how unreliable impressions gained from forums can be. I have contributed a lot to a few non professional user to user forums in a field where I work professionally. There is so much promulgated on and consequently accepted by many as fact on those forums which I know very well is actually rubbish because I have the data available or it is in regards to something that I have specific knowledge of, that one needs to have doubts about much that people claim on forums.

But often it is pointless providing the correct information because it seems to be a psychological quirk of many that they just want to believe myths instead of reality. One can see that here where whenever a Nokia employee tries to provide some feedback on problems such as the "tint" or provide information as to the status of software updates there are many who just rubbish them, often in the most disrespectful terms. I know they are Nokia employees and so may be pushing a company line but there are plenty of examples where fellow posters here are treated the same if it appears they are daring to question the veracity of some complaining theme being promulgated by others. The same happens on the forums I mentioned above and for that reason professional people generally avoid giving advice on them as they have better things to do than stay and be abused.

There are also always people on forums who do not have the device, equipment, whatever that they claim and just post for the hell of it either to look better off than they are or else to stir trouble and there are those  that have multiple identities posting supporting themselves and claims - I suspect that there are more than a few here that are the same. Here, like other forums, there are a few who obviously work in the mobile field and so give (generally :smileywink:) good advice but beyond that it is the wild west.

Also, I wonder how many N8s and C7s have been sold, must be well into the millions, maybe even tens of millions - compare for yourself the number of forum complaints to those figures. Also, many of the posts on forums are by the same people e.g. many of those complaining in this forum are also seen to be complaining in other forums too (often with another user name). And, while this thread, for example, is a long one, many posts in it come from the same few - actually not a great number in terms of phones sold I suspect.

I am not saying there is not a problem, just that I personally place little reliance on what I see on forums about such things.

bumblebirra wrote:

What I'd like to know is how Nokia can admit it's a hardware issue, implying that they've identified the exact cause, and yet people are still buying new phones with purple tint and getting their phones 'repaired' only to find they still have purple tint.
This shouldn't be happening AT ALL if Nokia have admitted they've identified a hardware cause, no matter how few phones this problem has supposedly affected.

Again like all of us I do not know the answer but there are a number of things I have wondered about.

If the number of phones affected is small (in percentage terms) then it would be a big job for little return to recall all stock and retest it.

Regarding repaired phones having the same tint then if that is happening (given I don't place much weight on claims made in forums) it could be that there are so few returns that the repair centres are not familiar with the problem (even though they have had a service alert for it in the past).

Also, it may be a country thing in that some countries have a cultural reputation of not having much concern for quality and their consumers. In those countries there is probably not a lot that Nokia can do about it as no way can they change a country's culture. In more caring countries there may also be appointed  service centres that give bad service but in that case one assumes that Nokia can dump them and replace them with another, but Nokia will likely be unaware of any issue unless people complain directly to Nokia about it.

So you see, don't know either just have a fair degree of tongue in cheek when it come to what I read in forums. Would be interesting to have the actual return figures but for commercial reasons there is no way a manufacturer will make those available.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
vtoroff

vtoroff wrote:
Be more careful, I wrote: I'm talking about their city!!

I meant MY city. Sorry if the online transletor caused misunderstanding.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
arshad_nadheem

cataholic wrote:
... I don't know what the returns have been but I do know how unreliable impressions gained from forums can be...

... I wonder how many N8s and C7s have been sold, must be well into the millions, maybe even tens of millions - compare for yourself the number of forum complaints to those figures...

Well... it’s kinda hard to understand your logic mate...

The "impressions" you gain from forums cannot be trusted... but the "impressions" gained from the number of forum complaints can be trusted..? Hmmm…

Anyway... I'm totally with you on most of the stuff you brought up... Just wanted to mention something, though...

Not all Smartphone users are as smart as you... there are quite a number of dumb 3rd world users like us who simply use an N8 for making calls, texting, listen to music, watch video clips, and of course... the camera. The concept of ‘apps’ means nothing to us... We think that fb IS the internet, and have no clue of what a forum is... If we have a problem with our mobile, we try to work around it... Only if we can't get our routine tasks done do we even consider repairing...
But of course, there are only a few hundred thousand of us... we're out numbered when compared to the tens of millions of N8 sold (I totally trust the accuracy of the numbers you mention... you always speak with facts and data in hand, unlike some of us who blind shoot)… so the percentage is negligible.

So, yeah, I agree with your 1st point I highlighted above, you cannot trust the impressions you gain from forums…
Based on that, you 2nd point is invalid… you should not also be able to put forward an argument based on the number of complaints on a forum…

And I can also recall that there were some people complaining that the N8’s display resolution sucks, and videos on the iPhone appear much better, while the N8 appeared pixilated… Of course all of us screamed out that they were just trolling… There were also claims that the N8’s camera sucks and photos appear pixilated… We did the same – scam…!!!
Putting two and two together, the above claims too could be related to the “purple screen” issue, at a time that no one knew of this thing…

Anyway… these are just my thoughts… nothing more… no added value. I'm a perfect example of the type of people you've mentioned above... The type that are of no help to anyone...

So I’m really sorry for wasting your precious time with my cr*p…

P.S.
Please don’t say that I’m just a troll representing a fruit or green robots… From the part of the world where I come, apples are luxuries that we can only dream of (we’re more into mangoes and bananas), and robots are irrelevant… Nokias have served our purpose for as long as I can remember, and that’s all we expect…

Cheers,
Arshad

Please use plain text.
Professor
cataholic

[ Edited ]

arshad_nadheem wrote:

cataholic wrote:
... I don't know what the returns have been but I do know how unreliable impressions gained from forums can be...

... I wonder how many N8s and C7s have been sold, must be well into the millions, maybe even tens of millions - compare for yourself the number of forum complaints to those figures...

Well... it’s kinda hard to understand your logic mate...

The "impressions" you gain from forums cannot be trusted... but the "impressions" gained from the number of forum complaints can be trusted..? Hmmm…

You have misunderstood

My saying "... I wonder how many N8s and C7s have been sold, must be well into the millions, maybe even tens of millions - compare for yourself the number of forum complaints to those figures..." means if you compare the number of forum complaints to the number of N8s and C7s sold the number of complaints is small in comparison. Or saying it another way the number of complaints on forums is a small percentage of the number of N8s and C7s sold.

That has nothing to do with how reliable or not the impressions from forums are.

So it seems you wrote a big long post about something I did not say at all :smileywink:

Please use plain text.
Advisor
davidb3686

[ Edited ]

so whats happening with this issue? getting fed up of pictures + videos looking wierd because of this purple tint. and every menu i go into has it too. just updated to latest fw (got n8) and it still is there.

how can i get this problem fixed? cant afford to pay for it, and shouldnt have to its nokias error. and dont really want to trust nokia care centre with my phone after horror stories of people who get phone back damaged, in worse condition.

someone shine some light on the problem for me

MODERATOR'S NOTE:

We do not allow the discussion of speculations concerning products which have not been announced by Nokia.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
rayhipkiss

davidb3686 wrote:

so whats happening with this issue? getting fed up of pictures + videos looking wierd because of this purple tint. and every menu i go into has it too. just updated to latest fw (got n8) and it still is there.

how can i get this problem fixed? cant afford to pay for it, and shouldnt have to its nokias error. and dont really want to trust nokia care centre with my phone after horror stories of people who get phone back damaged, in worse condition.

someone shine some light on the problem for me

MODERATOR'S NOTE:

We do not allow the discussion of speculations concerning products which have not been announced by Nokia.

The email notification allowed me to read the full body of your post before it was edited by the mods. If what you wrote is true, then your warranty is probably void so Nokia won't have to repair your phone for you under warranty.

What you should have done is taken your phone to a Nokia Care Point and had it repaired under warranty. Nevermind the so called horror stories you may have read about from dis-affected posters here.

Ray 

Please use plain text.