Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: N8/C7 PURPLE SCREEN ISSUE AND HOW TO SPOT IF Y...

Advisor
davidb3686

Re: N8/C7 PURPLE SCREEN ISSUE AND HOW TO SPOT IF YOU HAVE IT PLEASE READ

why would my warranty be void. i am using genuine software update from nokia and never removed battery or anything like that. 

should they swap it for a working screen for free? iv read a thread about someone who has had screen swapped a few times and STILL has the purple tint. maybe the problem is not fixable/!

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Mojitto

Ray, stats are usually being made based on so called representative excerpts. You take 1000 people from 10 cities in different parts of the world and send them to buy N8. If 60% of them get the purple tint, the probability is very high that all sets at least from a certain batch have this defect ratio too. You don't need to get data for all the "millions". These are the statistics basics. Too the rest ignoring the problem. Gentlemen, being that a "forum psychology" or else, the market HAS spoken. See Nokia results, compare it to peers and face the truth: N8 was a failure. It hasn't succeed in what it was supposed to: competing Apple and Google and pulling the company out of the gloom. The outcome was adverse, whatever you say about "evil slanderers".
Please use plain text.
Advisor
arshad_nadheem

No misunderstandings bro... :smileywink:

I don't wanna drag this conversation along without any purpose, but just felt that I HAD to make myself clear... My ego won't let me shut up... But I promise, no more from me w.r.t this... :smileyhappy:

cataholic wrote:

... means if you compare the number of forum complaints to the number of N8s and C7s sold the number of complaints is small in comparison. Or saying it another way the number of complaints on forums is a small percentage of the number of N8s and C7s sold...

That is exactly the way I interpreted it..! My point was, you simply c-a-n-n-o-t compare the "number of complaints on forums" against  the "number of N8s and C7s sold", and say that it is a "small percentage". This is because, you or anyone reading would get the impression that the "number of complaints on forums" are directly proportional to the "number of defective devices".

Whereas, that is NOT the case... And that was what I was trying to point out... Not all of us with defects post on forums... In fact, someone could even argue that only a fraction of the percentage of people with defective devices even post on forums... I'm sure you'll agree.

On the other hand, I'm NOT trying to suggest in any way, that there are millions of defective N8s and C7s out there... I'm simply trying to point out that not all of us post on forums.

Of course, there are also those who do not even visit the care centers with their defective devices... Well, I'm totally with you on this one... Nokia wont even know about it... But lets not forget, even if we don't approve of this, there could be many more defective units out there without even Nokia knowing of them... Its no ones fault.

These only highlights the fact that you can not put forward an argument saying that there are very few complaints on forum and even fewer returns at care points, hence, there has to be very few defective devices around...

Anyway... enough of this... Anna is being rolled out..!!! Hope all of us will be able to get it soon and have a blast... :smileywink:

Cheers,

Arshad

Please use plain text.
Contributor
superalbanian

This purple tint is a big problem, whatever they say no one can camouflage this. the reason why users don't complain here about this is they have no time, or a good part of them do not know english well. i knw 5 people who have this problem, frends of mine. and I'm the only one who write here, because they seem more difficult to write here what worries them. But the bigest problem is that they need very long time to anderstand what's happening. And at that time warranty has expired. you have to pay for the service that u still do not know whether that screen will be good or not! and that's why users don't go to the NCC.

Please use plain text.
Professor
cataholic

arshad_nadheem wrote:

No misunderstandings bro... :smileywink:...

My point was, you simply c-a-n-n-o-t compare the "number of complaints on forums" against  the "number of N8s and C7s sold", and say that it is a "small percentage". This is because, you or anyone reading would get the impression that the "number of complaints on forums" are directly proportional to the "number of defective devices".

Whereas, that is NOT the case... And that was what I was trying to point out... Not all of us with defects post on forums... In fact, someone could even argue that only a fraction of the percentage of people with defective devices even post on forums... I'm sure you'll agree.

The meaning is absolutely clear as it says the number of complaints on the forums is small compared to the number of phones sold. It says nothing at all about the number of complaints representing the number of faulty phones and was not meant to say that either. So we are indeed in agreement on that point.

Maybe I underestimated the desire of others to want to read into what I said things that were not said in order to promote their own cases and demolish mine :smileywink:.

Anyway, it seems we are in agreement and ending on a friendly note. That is always nice to know around here and often a surprise to find it so especially when it comes to purple screens where posters aften get purple in the face with anger instead :smileyhappy:.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
C7bangladesh

there comes a new twist in this problem... after updating to Symbian Anna now my Half Purple Clock is fully black.. but u can still find purple tint in photo, video clips and some applications... what nokia did in Anna is to polish the purple tint that a normal user cant find the fault easily... So nokia again playing game with us... now u have a new tought job to draw the attention of the Customer Care officers that ur screen is faulty, as they will keep their argue going by showing that Clock is Ok.... pathetic Nokia

Please use plain text.
Romansamus

Hello,

This problem made me post here too.I have a lovely N8 that has the screen of a first color phones.

The purple tint is there and the transition between darker colors is on pair with 16 color display.Terible.I now look at my other phones:N78,N93,N97....they all have way better picture quality than N8.I need to mention that I have seen only ONE n8 with correct color transitions.I have go through around 30+ phones here in my country and none is without this error.So I have been in the Nokia shop and in carrier shops and all are faulty.Now about the issue of people not knowing about this problem is correct.All people that I have seen with N8,they are not aware about this problem.They say only,"yes I noticed that the pictures and videos on the phone are not good".And they do not inderstand why their much older phone has better picture quality.They are disaponted with the N8!Because of this NCC is unaware of this too.I was there five times already.When I was visiting for the first time they where too,suprised about the problem.So what about that one N8 that was not showing this problem,well I have visited a hardware magazine office here in my country and they where just doing a N8 review.So I saw one when they just came out..and we were very pleased with the device of course.So they gave him a good review,and a high score in the magazine.And I bought one for myself.But after only one day my nightmare started.I knew that is not the device I remember holding in my hands.Because if I knew about that I would change my mind,what is going to be my next phone.You are correct there are a lot of N8 with this problems around.And many people just think that is the way the phone is.And I wonder how many new ones are still faulty too...

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
subhadeep_c7

Nokia X7-00 has purple tint to... Its screen is so bright that the issue is hidden type but i looked carefully. I was shocked and i posted earlier seeing the big clock screensaver has no purple patch that it was free from tint, bt updating my c7-00 to symbian anna i was too stunned that ''purple tint gone!!''. Later this illusion is cleared... But yea, using anna i am happy and i now dont bother for the foolish tint. For movies i have a 32'' led tv... I use it... Trust me, its million times better :smileyvery-happy:
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
vtoroff

subhadeep_c7 wrote:
For movies i have a 32'' led tv... I use it... Trust me, its million times better :smileyvery-happy:

I do not have possibility everywhere to carry with itself television. I counted on N8.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
subhadeep_c7

I dont know about N8 but as per i know C7-00 can play a movie bt its battery then gets exhausted, so I avoid movie. Except movie it provides me a lot, i am satisfied with that...
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

With Symbian Anna, Nokia is silently demonstrating that it knows its displays are not performing well with dark gradients, and that the problem is not just restricted to "a small proportion" of N8/C7 devices as they have stated here. As @C7bangladesh already mentioned above, the analog screensaver clock seems to have been redesigned completely black, so as not to show signs of the defect. The gradients in the UI buttons have been removed in several themes (Midnight copper, Midnight silver etc), which prevents detecting the problem in them. The gradients that are used carefully avoid going anywhere near black (just look at the speech balloon of the Notifications widget). While I think it is great they are improving the aesthetics fo the UI in this way, I think they should be more candid about the extent of the problem.

Please use plain text.
Advisor

Even I have this strange problem on N8 and seems there is no fix for this.. just scrap this phone and go for new one.. but very sad.. I used to like this phone and feel sad that i can not see any images good.. all red **bleep**

Please use plain text.
Contributor
kidd_waway

nokia, can we just pay for replacement screens for our n8?those that does not have the purple tint issue..but you can give us discounts...im wiling to pay just to fix this issue...

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Titanicology

I bought a second hand C7 w/o the receipts. I checked if there is still warranty. There is.

Will nokia replace the screen even if i dont have receipts of my C7?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
rayhipkiss

I don't think it matters as the phone itself will have a manufacturing date encoded into the firmware. Also, I don't think having a receipt is essential considering you will be taking it to Nokia themselves. You would only need a receipt if you were claiming for a refund.

Ray 

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Titanicology

So even if I only bring the unit itself? Will they relpace it?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
rayhipkiss

Yes. As long as the phone hasn't been tampered with (hacked firmware or someone opening the phone to mess around inside) they should accept it.

Ray 

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
rayhipkiss

If you restore the original firmware they more than likely won't notice or even bother checking, so you should be OK.

Ray 

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
vtoroff

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
rayhipkiss

vtoroff wrote:

purple / brown effect on the N8, depending on the brightness level

Yes, we already know that. I'm surprised you still have the phone if it's still got the problem. Either get it fixed or replace it with something else. Your constant re-posting of the same thing is not going to solve your problem.

Thanks

Ray 

Please use plain text.