Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: N8/C7 PURPLE SCREEN ISSUE AND HOW TO SPOT IF Y...

Sage
cooldudsubho

Re: N8/C7 PURPLE SCREEN ISSUE AND HOW TO SPOT IF YOU HAVE IT PLEASE READ

@Vandelay. My N8 has trouble showing grey gradients.But i donot see any purple tint in black pictures.This problem only becomes visible when there is black and grey crossover.Personally i think your comments are misleading.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
_smk_

My phone is also affected with this defect but I wouldn't descripe it as a "slight purple tint". The gray gradients look terrible and the tint is very dominant. Neither would I talk about "handfull of devices" because it seems almost impossible to find a decent device without the defect in any stores today.

And as buxzz pointed out in his post today (which was pretty soon deleted for some reason Ican't understand) Nokia Care have no fix for this. They've just been sending back second hand replacements with the same problem still existing.

Please stop trying to depreciate this major problem!

Please use plain text.
Ex-Administrator (Retired)
vandelay

_smk_ wrote:

And as buxzz pointed out in his post today (which was pretty soon deleted for some reason Ican't understand)

I also saw that post and was replying to it but it had vanished. I don't think any of our moderators removed it so it may be that he deleted it himself, but I trust he'll let us know.

Nokia takes product quality very seriously. Everyone who is concerned about their N8 or C7 screen is advised to visit a Nokia Care point. Nokia Care points will repair the device under warranty if there is a clear defect in the device.

I wrote all my posts from 2005-2011 as an "Admin" for this community. I still work for Nokia as an external consultant, so my rank in all posts is now "Employee".
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Battlebird

As my N8 shows the same problems with grey gradients, I compared it to my old 5800XM and it shows they Testimage almost as good as my PC-LCD. On my N8 the Squares 5 to 14 are not displayed grey but dark purple. Changing the brightness of the screen to max changes is a bit but the tint is stil clearly there. The Big analouge Clock shows the Dark purple clearly in the upper half of the clock. I will try to visit the nearest Nokia Care Point (its a travel of about 100km here in Germany) this week, and i really hope they know about this issue and will change the screen of my N8 to one without this issue.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Battlebird

Vandelay are you saying that if my device is showing the tint but it is not purpleish enough, Nokia Care will say that this is normal refuse to change the Screen? That would just be ridiculous because there are really N8s out there that doesn't show this kind of tint (mostly early N8s) so I want an N8 that is completely tintless too!

Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

[ Edited ]

rayhipkiss wrote:

I can confirm that the Samsung Galaxy S screen displays a pink tint when set to low brightness level, but completely disappears when set to high brightness.

Those with defective screens will notice a definite purple tint on the clock screen saver which is a more accurate way to determine if the screen is faulty or not.

Agreed, purple tint = faulty screen, pink tint = a normal undesirable "feature" that's present on samsung made screens in certain samsung, HTC, google and Nokia devices but it's not regarded as a fault, merely a side effect of the pen tile matrix used.

The problem is that people may get another faulty purple screen or a samsung screen fitted after sending their purple screened phones away for repair.  I believe Nokia is currently using two or three different screen manufacturers due to global demand for AMOLED. 

The only other solution I can see to this is that Nokia abandon AMOLED and use Super LCD. HTC did this with the popular Desire but the move was not a popular one.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
93tid

psychomania wrote:

Agreed, purple tint = faulty screen, pink tint = a normal undesirable "feature" that's present on samsung made screens in certain samsung, HTC, google and Nokia devices but it's not regarded as a fault, merely a side effect of the pen tile matrix used.

The problem is that people may get another faulty purple screen or a samsung screen fitted after sending their purple screened phones away for repair.  I believe Nokia is currently using two or three different screen manufacturers due to global demand for AMOLED.

I guess Nokia will have more clarity when people start voting with their feet, initially towards NCCs and then away from Nokia if their problem remains unresolved by unsuitable or unavailable replacements. Time will tell, which is why I cannot stress how important it is for everyone with a defective display to take their handset to a NCC asap.

It is really worrying that the initial feedback shows replacement handsets demonstrating the same problem. I haven't had time to look into the customer's options for recourse if Nokia are unable to provide an acceptable replacement display/handset - in the UK you could probably get your money back based on the Sale Of Goods Act although one might have to resort to the small claims court.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

93tid wrote:

I guess Nokia will have more clarity when people start voting with their feet, initially towards NCCs and then away from Nokia if their problem remains unresolved by unsuitable or unavailable replacements. Time will tell, which is why I cannot stress how important it is for everyone with a defective display to take their handset to a NCC asap. 

I totally agree that those with the faulty purple tinted screens should go to the NCP. What needs to be done is Nokia should clarify what defines a faulty screen as this whole issue is becoming confusing due to the natural pink tinting that occurs on samsung made screens that isn't a fault. Many people are thinking they have a faulty screen when they do not.

They need to take steps to remove the replacement screens from the parts supply chain that may be from the same batch as the purple tinted ones. They also need to explain that the pink tinted screens are normal and also make sure NCPs are aware of this.

Nokia is not denying this problem exists and they are looking into it.  Making threats, polls, petitions, duplicate topics on this forum isn't going to make a blind bit of difference now that they are aware of it. 

Anyone who is getting poor, damaged, faulty replacement phones or screens needs to make an official complaint to Nokia in their country via the correct channels, not this forum.  In many countries the correct channel is to call nokia care, ask for the official complaints address, write a constructive letter and await a resolution. 

There isn't at the moment a blanket ideal solution to this problem until they clearly define to end users the difference between a faulty purple screen and a normal pink one. 

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
carman58

As a lucky user without a problem, I can look at this issue from the outside. I have had problems with Nokia phones in the past, which is why I'm a forum member, however with any 'physical' problem or defect I have visited a Nokia Care Point and had my handset repaired/replaced ! Has anyone actually taken a Symbian^3 handset to a care point ? If so what did they say/do ? You normally have to wait 2 to 3 weeks to get your phone back, but I've always had a satisfactory result,I have only had to have 2 handsets sent away in the last 12 yrs, but did have my N97 replaced about a year ago and can't fault Nokia Care (some of there agents are a pain CPW) but the end result has provided me with a functioning/New handset.

I'm not denying the fault exists, I spend half my web time on forums, but just wonder if anyone has had there phone screen replaced, or had a refusal from a Care Point. It simply seems a more logical step to me to take the phone for repair first to resolve the problem, then to contact Nokia direct if a Care Point can't or won't repair it ?

If I have helped at all, a click on the White Star is always appreciated :

you can also help others by marking 'accept as solution:smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Professor
cataholic

[ Edited ]

buxz777: ...this leads me to believe that from the start nokia were using at least two screen in the n8 , then one started to run out around december and by the end of december a huge majority of n8/c7 handsets have the troubles, if not all of them shipped after december...

I have an N8 here which is only a couple of weeks old and it does not show the problem. The clock screensaver is fine, etc, etc. I am in the Asia-Pacific region and the phone was built in China.

Of course it could be from December or older stock but I would not have thought so.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

[ Edited ]

cataholic wrote:

buxz777: ...this leads me to believe that from the start nokia were using at least two screen in the n8 , then one started to run out around december and by the end of december a huge majority of n8/c7 handsets have the troubles, if not all of them shipped after december...

I have an N8 here which is only a couple of weeks old and it does not show the problem. The clock wallpaper is fine, etc, etc. I am in the Asia-Pacific region and the phone was built in China.

Of course it could be from December or older stock but I would not have thought so.

Pretty much every phone Nokia makes can contain screens from different suppliers at pretty much any stage in it's life cycle.  Popular models can have screens from three different suppliers being used at the same time as it's the only way to cope with demand.  It's not just nokia that do this, many other manufacturers, including HTC have to buy from multiple suppliers due to global demand.  The demand for screens is actually pushing up the cost of other products that are totally unrelated to phones.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Battlebird

psychomania wrote:

cataholic wrote:

I have an N8 here which is only a couple of weeks old and it does not show the problem. The clock wallpaper is fine, etc, etc. I am in the Asia-Pacific region and the phone was built in China.

Pretty much every phone Nokia makes can contain screens from different suppliers at pretty much any stage in it's life cycle.  Popular models can have screens from three different suppliers being used at the same time as it's the only way to cope with demand.  It's not just nokia that do this, many other manufacturers, including HTC have to buy from multiple suppliers due to global demand.  The demand for screens is actually pushing up the cost of other products that are totally unrelated to phones.

Yeah and multiple suppliers won't be a problem, if the quality of all the supplied screens would be even. As it stands now this is not the case. There are screens with good quality showing no tint and displaying all grey gradients perfectly and screens showing purple tint and bad grey gradients. The job of Nokias quality control should have been to assure that all shipped units get a screen of good quality.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

[ Edited ]

The purple tinted screens is certainly a quality control issue as they are faulty but as users we don't know at what stage they stopped using them, if indeed they have stopped using them.

The samsung screens that can show a pink tint are not faulty, it is normal but for the sake of supply and demand Nokia, like other manufacturers is forced to use them if they actually want to have product on the shelves. Again, they are not faulty but many people do not like them.

I do not know who manufacturers the "perfect" screens for Nokia and i'm sure if it was possible they would stick to using that one manufacturer. It may actually be the same company that is producing the faulty purple screens.

Please use plain text.
Sage

[ Edited ]

hi everyone and thanks for taking time to discuss this problem alot of people are having with the n8/c7 screen

i did delete my post earlier and it wasnt the mods this time (just to clear that up)

it basically said that i had followed the forum advice and spoken to nokia care uk escalation team who i got in touch with via facebook

basically after the original pick up they took my n8s agreed they had a purple tint and sent me badly refurbed n8s that still had the purple screens , i obvoulsy complained about them being refurbs when the n8s i sent were brand new , they agreed but sent me more bad refurb handsets with the purple screen issue and more problems , i again complained and they eventually sent me brand new n8s but they still have the purple tint issue

so affter original pick up and swap and then 2 door step swaps later i still have the purple tint

this is why i cant understand the mods advice of taking it to a nokia service centre / care point

does nokia have a fix for it then or will they just use the handset to investigate the issue

if they do have a fix it seems weird that nokia always sent me phones with different imei numbers when they could have fixed the screens which was the problem i sent them off with

so question is what do i do now , i treyd to follow the advice of mods and nokia care uk , however all i got was phones with the same original problem and new ones thrown into the mix

i think this is why its important that nokia announce something soon through prope channels like they did with the motherboard issue on early s3 handsets

for example if they have a fix for it why not say something as simple as

''it has come to nokias attention that some c7/n8 handsets are producing a purple tint to colour gradiation on their phone screen , nokia have investigated the issue and we can sort it out via warranty through normal warranty procedures , each customers case will be investigated individually''

if nokia sort this out quickly with minimal fuss to customers they could still come out of this with customers being happy about the way nokia dealt with their problem ,  it also gives customers confidence in buying nokia products again as when a problem happend nokia dealt with it swiftly wth aslittle disruption to the end user s possible

after sales service is a big part of purchase , especially when paying £300-400 or more , iam sure iam not the only one who thinks so :-)

Please use plain text.
Advisor
_smk_

carman58 wrote:

You normally have to wait 2 to 3 weeks to get your phone back, but I've always had a satisfactory result,I have only had to have 2 handsets sent away in the last 12 yrs, but did have my N97 replaced about a year ago and can't fault Nokia Care (some of there agents are a pain CPW) but the end result has provided me with a functioning/New handset.

I'm not denying the fault exists, I spend half my web time on forums, but just wonder if anyone has had there phone screen replaced, or had a refusal from a Care Point. It simply seems a more logical step to me to take the phone for repair first to resolve the problem, then to contact Nokia direct if a Care Point can't or won't repair it ?

I'd like to know if it really takes 2 to 3 weeks to replace a screen in Nokia Care Point.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

Now that Nokia is fully aware of this issue there's a good chance that they'll be an article about it. Most of the confusion has been caused because many people, including customers, care points and even some within Nokia didn't understand the difference between the faulty purple screens and the normal (but undesirable to some) pink tint on samsung made screens under certain brightness conditions.

Now that the difference is understood they may release an article and better educate the care point network to provide better support.
Please use plain text.
neihc

Same Issue for Malaysia  N8 Set.  I have check with reseller for other new unit. All same kind of issue.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
93tid

_smk_ wrote:

I'd like to know if it really takes 2 to 3 weeks to replace a screen in Nokia Care Point.

Quite possibly, if they have to order and wait for the replacement screen to come in. Obviously the actual procedure of physically changing it does not take that long, but if you add the delivery time to their normal turnaround, depending on workload it could be 2-3 weeks.

Please use plain text.
Sage

[ Edited ]

psycomania -- i appreciate your input and participation in this discussion  but i have to disagree with some of what you have said ,  if that test image is displayed as purple / pink / red or any colour apart from the colour its supposed to be then surely screens have defects or havent been set up right in the software callobration

just because samsung have made a screen with a pink tint and nokia have used it , it doesnt mean it should be like this or behave like this when displaying that image

to me all it means is that nokia have sourced a bad screen to use in the builds of some n8s just like other manufactuers have , also just because it happends on a couple of other phones doesnt mean its normal or ok ,  it just means they also used a bad screen

its like someone using a bad part in a computer and then saying its normal because theres this other computer that does the same thing because its also fitted with the bad part

especially when there are n8s out there that dont display the image with any tints whatsoever

edit

the htc pink screen problem was recitified via a firmware patch according to android forums and it just needed tuning

Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

[ Edited ]

buxz777 wrote:
psycomania -- iam sorry bu if that test image is displayed as purple / pink / red or any colour apart from the colour its supposed to be then the screens have defects or havent been set up right in the software callobration

just because samsung have made a screen with a pink tint and nokia have used it , it doesnt mean it should be like this or behave like this when displaying that image

especially when there are n8s out there that dont display the image with any tints whatsoever

This is one of the reasons why this issue is being confused and it's taking a while to sort out. People are confusing faulty and the natural behavior of certain screen types as being a fault. 

Screens with a purple tint are faulty, the tint can be viewed on any brightness level. This is accepted and being investigated further.

Screens with a pink tint when viewed at low brightness, or when the brightness sensor is adjusting to ambient light are not faulty. This is a natural feature of this screen, not a fault. You can see this happen on Samsungs, HTC's, Nexus ones to name a few and it's not regarded as being a fault. It may be possible to compensate via software in the future but again it's not regarded as being a physical fault.  Nokia may rectify the non-faulty pink tint screens in the future via a software update now that the difference between the two issues is understood.

Screens that do not show any purple or pink tints are not made by samsung but cannot be used in all N8's because demand is far greater than supply.

For the sake of people that do have faulty purple screens please stop claiming that screens with the occasional pink tint are faulty.  You are not helping their cause by failing to accept this.

Please use plain text.