Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: With my Acer Aspire 1825 PTZ i see the same as...

Contributor
skimen

Re: N8/C7 PURPLE SCREEN ISSUE AND HOW TO SPOT IF YOU HAVE IT PLEASE READ

Such a picture you can do yourself in Photoshop.

This is the usual gradient from black to white.

I am so it did.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Sennin08

ok I've had 2 nokia N8, the first one had a perfect screen with no problems whatsoever which I loved, but the second one (the one I currently have) has the purple/red issue, but not only that, THE SCREEN ALSO SHOWS SOME VERTICAL LINES all over the screen.

the lines cannot be noticed on hight brightness or sunlight.

I'm from Dominican Republic and I bought this phone from Amazon, so I have spent more than 100 bucks just to have it replaced, there is no Nokia care center in my country, so it's going to be really hard for me to have it replaced again.

I need to know whether this can be fixed with a firmware update. Please!
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
93tid

[ Edited ]

michaels wrote:

I can tell you categorically 100% that the service bulletin for the purple screen exists, and it is completely untrue that no such bulletin exists for the power issue - that most certainly does exist too.

Service bulletins are documents which give details to service personnel on how to make the necessary repairs, and as such they are confidential to Nokia and the Nokia Care network so details of them cannot and will not be published here; but as Vandelay has already said, if your local NCP claims not to have access to the necessary information then please tell us which NCP you deal with, and we will raise the issue with the Nokia head office in your country to ensure that matters are put right.

The NCP in question has already escalated the issue on their own initiative up the chain to Nokia Care UK head office and we will see tomorrow what response they get. They confirmed to me that they have full access to the database in question and "fudge all" has been published there on the purple screen issue - or on the power failure issue.

I have absolutely no interest in the actual service bulletins, but why don't you post just the title pages of both of them here ? Surely that would restore some degree of confidence in Nokia and calm down the whole situation. It would do the credibility of this forum no harm either.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
jimmyireland

Dont you think you have done enough ranting at this stage you have all been given an answer and advice and still not happy.

If  i have helped at all a click on the white star below would be nice thanks.

Now using the Lumia 1520
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Sennin08

The problem is that if they send you a new replacement phone, the new replacement phone is going to have the same problem. I have seen people replaced their phone more than 3 times and still they're having the same problem.

Obviously they don't know how to fix this problem at the Nokia Care centers.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
_smk_

jimmyireland wrote:
Dont you think you have done enough ranting at this stage you have all been given an answer and advice and still not happy.

Happy? Yep, so happy to have a broken device worth 500 euros. So happy to take to a NCP for repair that will take several weeks and there's no guarantee that the problem will be fixed after all. And what makes me even happier, is the fact that now I have to spend more money for another cell phone that I can use while my N8 is being fixed.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
_smk_

I wonder what is happening to thousands of faulty devices in the stores around the world. Will they keep on selling those to consumers and hope that majority of customers won't notice the defect or are too lazy to take any actions and just live with it.

Please use plain text.
Sage

[ Edited ]

right another picture here for you

when i display this image on my n8 through opera browser

i get to see this messy sight before my eyes

its horrible and knowing other n8s dont have this issue is even worse

ive paid the same money as everyone else and yet dont have the same quality screen as everyone else

every n8 should be made to the same quality and they clearly arent

this deserves some big action from nokia now , all the evidence is infront of them, we have discussions in india , russia , germany , uk , usa , this is a massive global issue with c7/n8 handsets and it is effecting 1000s of users across the world who have paid alot of hard earned money, the least nokia could do is take it seriously

like 93 i have also spoken to service centres and people who work there and they know nothing about the purple tint issue or any service bullitin

all we want is some action from nokia

i have personally sent three n8s to nokia care escalation team on more then one ocassion and they have sent me back phones with the same problem and other problems, my new n8s got replaced with second hand looking phones with exterior damage and still had the purple tint issue

so today a mod says that a service bullitin has been sent to nokia care points at least 3-5 users have rung service points all across the country and none of them even know about the issue or any bullitin

93 has taken it even further and gone out of his way to speak to his friend that works in a service point and again no bullitin or service instructions and why would he lie about that?? his friend has even had to get in touch with nokia head office to see whats going on and itll be intresting too see what he comes back with regarding this , thanks 93 mate :-)

nokia what an earth is going on, why do you keep saying go to a service point when its clear they know nothing about it at the minute and clearly cant fix the phone like you say they can

Please use plain text.
Advisor
_smk_

The flaw is so easily spotted when viewing almost any B&W/greyscale photos i.e. like this one:

http://bertstephani.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/20100511_test-H4D__0085.jpg

View this with a defected N8 and pay attention to out-of-focus areas on the foreground and on the background. The display draws some kind of purple/red/brown outlines where there shoukd be a smooth transition from black to dark grey. Actually I wouldn't call this effect a "tint" at all.

For some reason I still think that it's a calibration error that could be fixed in firmware.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
jimmyireland

_smk_ wrote:

jimmyireland wrote:

Happy? Yep, so happy to have a broken device worth 500 euros. So happy to take to a NCP for repair that will take several weeks and there's no guarantee that the problem will be fixed after all. And what makes me even happier, is the fact that now I have to spend more money for another cell phone that I can use while my N8 is being fixed.

Having read this thread with so many posts from people some repeated posts ranting and ranting does not make this as big an issue as people are now making it out to be.

i am not defending nokia by the way but you have been answered and given the advice to take numerous times and continue to post the same thing again and again,some including photos, we all have the idea now what the problem is enough is enough your points have been made and listened too.

Personally i dont think nokia would be so stupid to repair a phone and send it back with the same issue now that they are aware of this problem .

so lets be patient and see if nokia make an official statement via their website or via nokia conversations or via twitter etc.

Now using the Lumia 1520
Please use plain text.
Professor

With my Acer Aspire 1825 PTZ i see the same as my Nokia N8

Guys, accidentally  I was looking at the greys scale in top of page with my new  touch  Acer Aspire 1825 PTZ amoled notebook and..yes, you can see the single stripes with a slightly purple one every two. I thought it was the image itself, but  then, opened the image with my 6 years old  Aspire 1690 and the  shift between the stripes is way smoother and, above all, nowhere there is  purple/pink , just white, black and light to dark gfrey.

So....I think it's an amoled issue more than an N8 one..

Please use plain text.
Professor

Re: With my Acer Aspire 1825 PTZ i see the same as my Nokia N8

Here is a macro shot with my N8 of the display of my Aspire 1825 PTZ displaying the gray scale

http://img689.imageshack.us/i/09032011011.jpg/

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
93tid

Re: With my Acer Aspire 1825 PTZ i see the same as my Nokia N8

puasho wrote:

Guys, accidentally  I was looking at the greys scale in top of page with my new  touch  Acer Aspire 1825 PTZ amoled notebook and..yes, you can see the single stripes with a slightly purple one every two. I thought it was the image itself, but  then, opened the image with my 6 years old  Aspire 1690 and the  shift between the stripes is way smoother and, above all, nowhere there is  purple/pink , just white, black and light to dark gfrey.

So....I think it's an amoled issue more than an N8 one..

This has been covered already, it is clear to everyone that it is a problem with a batch of AMOLED screensand not just N8s, since C7 handsets also suffer from it.

It is also clear that it is not a general AMOLED problem, since there are many handsets with perfectly good screens.

Nothing more to discuss further here, moving on.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
_smk_

jimmyireland wrote:

Having read this thread with so many posts from people some repeated posts ranting and ranting does not make this as big an issue as people are now making it out to be.

I see your point and obviously it's not a big issue for you but for many of us it is. Personally I am not so convinced that this is taken seriously enough by Nokia. Especially the wording they used in their statement sounded a little suspicious. Of course there's no tint visible in idle black screen and that leaves them a back door to deny the whole defect.

Btw, I've been using Nokia phones since 1996 and even though I wouldn't consider myself as a fanboy I'd certainly like to support the company from my home country in future also. It's just the way they're dealing with this that makes me both sad and angry.

Please use plain text.
Sage

[ Edited ]

Your right jimmyireland its not a big issue its a massive global one effecting 1000s of users in many country's across the globe

India , UK , Russia , Germany , Italy to name just a few , have massive threads covering this issue

we have test threads taken place that show users from USA to Australia have this issue

iam sorry but its a massive issue with many more n8s on shelves in shops ready to be sold that have the problem

we are all nokia lovers here and all want to enjoy the n8 and if you don't have the problem that's great for you but 1000s of us do and are finding it does effect the way we use the n8

we arent just complaining for fun I have much better things to do

however I've paid the same money as my gfriend and my mates and why should I have a phone from nokia that isn't performing like theirs

I think a lot of users are unhappy with the mods response as well , many of us users have followed the advice of them and got no where

I sent my n8s to nokia care UK escalation team 3 times , from the start of February to the beginning of march each time its come back the same with moe problems then the one I sent them

we then get a mods statement today to ring nokia service centers as they have had a  bulletin , again many users do this and the care points we've spoke to know nothing about it or the purple tint issue

93 even spoke to his personal friend that works as a nokia care point service technician , he hasn't heard anything either and has had to email head office to find out what's going on

I think this is why users are getting annoyed

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
jimmyireland

_smk_ wrote:

jimmyireland wrote:

I see your point and obviously it's not a big issue for you but for many of us it is. Personally I am not so convinced that this is taken seriously enough by Nokia. Especially the wording they used in their statement sounded a little suspicious. Of course there's no tint visible in idle black screen and that leaves them a back door to deny the whole defect.

Btw, I've been using Nokia phones since 1996 and even though I wouldn't consider myself as a fanboy I'd certainly like to support the company from my home country in future also. It's just the way they're dealing with this that makes me both sad and angry.

I understand been A nokia fan since the 5110 and can see all the points but there is no point in repeating them as some have done there has been a comment from the mods which in my eyes is sufficient until nokia come out with an answer,this would be pending its on a worldwide massive scale which i think is not the case, for now anyway.So lets wait and see what happens over the next few days..:smileyhappy:

Now using the Lumia 1520
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Marv3L

michaels wrote:

I can tell you categorically 100% that the service bulletin for the purple screen exists, and it is completely untrue that no such bulletin exists for the power issue - that most certainly does exist too.

Service bulletins are documents which give details to service personnel on how to make the necessary repairs, and as such they are confidential to Nokia and the Nokia Care network so details of them cannot and will not be published here; but as Vandelay has already said, if your local NCP claims not to have access to the necessary information then please tell us which NCP you deal with, and we will raise the issue with the Nokia head office in your country to ensure that matters are put right.

If a service bulletin exists for purple screen problem, I assume that Nokia has found a fix, then why NCCs are unable to fix the problem and returning users another phone with the similar purple screen?

Can you please let us know on which date the purple screen service bulletin was issued? because there are reports all over the internet that NCCs are still unable to fix the defect. either they are saying "this is the nature of AMOLED screens to display purple on high contrast areas" or, they are changing the screen with another one which also has the same purple tint.

Till now there is not even a single case where a user has reported that his defective screen was fixed by NCC.

I assume that the defect is a hardware problem, because had it been a software issue, Nokia could have released a patch instead of sending service bulletin to NCC. Also a hardware defect menas the only way to resolve the issue is to replace the screen with a good one. but I seriously doubt Nokia has that much volume of Good AMOLED displays, considering the total number of users affected by the issue.

Not all the user checks online forums everyday. and most of them wont notice the tint because they will think the color of the displayed items are like that. (at first the store manager told me that the clock is meant to be that way). So I think Nokia is taking the approach of fixing only those customers devices who will visit the NCC points.

michaels, I certainly hope that your comment is based on facts and it was not posted just to make us calm, because within few days report will start pouring from all over the world whether NCCs are fixing the issue properly or not.

Please use plain text.
Technical Expert
michaels

[ Edited ]

I'm afraid that we are not at liberty to discuss any aspect of confidential internal documents. We have, however, given assurances that your local Nokia Care point should have access to the information that they need to make repairs to N8 and C7 devices that exhibit the symptoms of the purple screen, and we have also made a commitment to our members that if any NCP claims otherwise, we will ensure that this situation is appropriately addressed.

If you wish to test the validity of the information that has been provided to by two Nokia Care managers in this thread, there are several courses of action that you might take:

1. You could take your phone to your local NCP. If the NCP confirms that your device has excessive purple tint but says that they do not know how do deal with the situation, let us know and we will ensure that the Nokia HQ for your country addresses the matter with the NCP.
  2. If geography makes it inconvenient to visit your nearest NCP on-spec, you could call them and ask about the situation. Again, if they claim that they know nothing of this situation or how to deal with it, let us know and we'll ensure that this is put right.
  3. If you live on a country where Nokia has a service where you can send your device to a central repair hub or to have the device collected from you and sent to a central repair hub; here there should be no question of staff not knowing what to do. Check the repair options on the Nokia web site for your country for more information. 

If you do wish is to act in a case in which you have been told by an NCP that they do cannot fix devices which exhibit the described symptoms, please e-mail details to support.discussions@nokia.com.

Nokia Lumia - the fastest growing smartphone

If this or any post answers your question, please remember to help others by pressing the 'Accept as solution' button.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Marv3L

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

michaels posted:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. You could take your phone to your local NCP. If the NCP confirms that your device has excessive purple tint but says that they do not know how do deal with the situation, let us know and we will ensure that the Nokia HQ for your country addresses the matter with the NCP.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

some of the affected displayes have mild purple tint and it is visible only in clock screensaver or in certain places on the UI/Apps.

for some of the screens, the tint is very high and can be seen throughout the UI. these screens also shows very poor color gradients.

So it's upto NCP to decide which screen they will fix and which they wont? What if as per the user the mild purple tint is disturbing, but NCP says "no it's not that purple yet". does they have a standerd color chart/benchmark test against which they will compare the user's phone? or it's completely dependent on the NCP technician's own perception of how AMOLED should represent colors?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
93tid

I am happy to confirm that the service bulletin in question is indeed available on the usual database for all UK NCPs as of this morning. Despite bearing a February 2011 date it was definitely NOT there last night.

The NCPs should replace the display (AMOLED) and check to make sure the replacement is working better.

The origin of the problem is a colour balance issue in the calibration of the displays at manufacturer level.

I trust that this should end the general ranting directed at Nokia on this issue. Now it remains to be seen how the NCPs will act on a case-by-case basis.

I do not expect this information to prevent the barrage of questions like "What if all their replacements are faulty?", etc. but I would at least hope that it will reduce them. As I said - this would have to be seen on case-by-case basis for each NCP across the world.

Please use plain text.