Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: N8/C7 PURPLE SCREEN ISSUE AND HOW TO SPOT IF Y...

Counsellor
Battlebird

Re: N8/C7 PURPLE SCREEN ISSUE AND HOW TO SPOT IF YOU HAVE IT PLEASE READ

Wanted to give you all an status update:

I went to the next NCP today with my N8. At first they did not know about such problems and said I was the first to complain about the issue. The problem was that it was very bright light in the shop so it was hard to see the issue. We then compared it to another N8 in the shop( very early batch N8 from September) and there you could really see the difference. So I told them to look in their computer for the service bulletin in it was really there. In the bulletin there are pictures of faulty screens taken when the analouge clock is on. So for Germany I can say that the NCPs should have this bulletin.

My phone is now at the NCP and they will mail me when they are done with it. I hope they manage to get their hands on replacement-displays without the problem. I will give an update as I receive my phone again.

Please use plain text.
Sage

great news to here that the bullitin is finally showing up at nokia care points

lets just hope that users get their phone back quickly with minimal fuss , in the same cosmetic condition they sent them away and with much much better quality screens then what we have at the minute

could users please update this thread with how they got on at nokia care points when they visited them and how the repair went when they get their phones back

hopefully the problem can finally be sorted and we can finally enjoy our n8s again , even on screens with gradients to colours etc :-)

big shout to everyone that has helped make this problem get noticed so it could be fixed and lets just hope it gets fixed to the quality of other n8s screens we have all seen

hope you all have a nice day and good luck with your repairs and local care points

Please use plain text.
Advisor
holzlondon

This news from 93tid and Battlebird is fantastic.  I'll probably go to the same NCP here in Germany.

It has taken a long time, and I hope this releaves some of the tension that's been in the air on this thread.

On the one hand, we've felt neglected as customers by Nokia, and on the other Hand the Mods here have just been doing their job trying to keep things in perspective. 

How, when and by whom the service bulletin came is now irrelevant.  The main thing is that it is there, and we have a solution.  Hopefully, the repaired devices will be coming back with good screens now.

I won't be able to arrange my repair for a few weeks yet, but when I do I'll share my experience here.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
kutsikas15

I'll bring my phone to NCP tomorrow and let u all know when its ready and in what condition it is :smileywink:. Thank u all and thank you Nokia :smileywink:!!!

..::T-A::..
Please use plain text.
Sage

[ Edited ]

Essex Cellular Telephones Ltd
4 Brewery Walk
Romford, RM1 1BG
Tel:  01708744733

Carphone Warehouse (Romford)
Unit 17 The Brewery
Romford, RM1 1AU
Tel:  08701682349

Carphone Warehouse (Harlow)
7 Howard Way
The Oaks Retail Park
Harlow, CM20 2AB
Tel:  08701682071

Essex Cellular Telephones Ltd
230 High Rd
Ilford, IG1 1LZ
Tel:  02085530000

all these stores dont know about the problem , were unhelpfull , were rude , two of them didnt even know that the c7 and n8 shared the same screen and were generally really unhelpfull with anything to do with the nokia n8/c7 screen issue

please would a moderator advise me on what to do next please

could i/should i contact nokia care escalation team who dealt with my n8s before??

thankyou for advice on this

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
93tid

According to michaels post - "please e-mail details to support.discussions@nokia.com."

Please use plain text.
Ex-Administrator (Retired)
vandelay

Thanks 93tid,

buxz777, once you email your contact details I can ask the UK escalation team to be in touch with you. I am travelling today but can get in touch with Nokia UK Care tomorrow morning. The service bulletin has been available since February (18th I think) so I am sure that they want to look into their process and find out why the information hasn't been duly noticed.

I wrote all my posts from 2005-2011 as an "Admin" for this community. I still work for Nokia as an external consultant, so my rank in all posts is now "Employee".
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
93tid

[ Edited ]

vandelay wrote:
The service bulletin has been available since February (18th I think) so I am sure that they want to look into their process and find out why the information hasn't been duly noticed.

The bulletin was indeed issued in February, as I already mentioned, but was not made available in the UK database until this morning. Checks made by different UK NCPs yesterday afternoon did not locate this bulletin but found it this morning. I believe this was a direct result of a NCP sending a copy of post 90 from this thread to Nokia Care UK HQ requesting clarification.

Most of the excitement around this issue could have been prevented if this had been released at the time of creation and not delayed by weeks.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Marv3L

vandelay wrote:
The service bulletin has been available since February (18th I think) so I am sure that they want to look into their process and find out why the information hasn't been duly noticed.

Finally rays of hope, this is what we, customers expect from Nokia. Thanks a lot :smileyhappy: :smileyhappy:

Also, I am assuming that since Nokia issued the service bulletin on mid Feb, Nokia is already aware about the problem and the phones manufactured in March will not have the problem. So If I buy a N8 manufactured in march (Manufacturing and Import dates are printed on the retail box in India), I should get a defect free display.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
jimmyireland

Hopefully we can see some closure on this now and No more ranting and repetitive posts and a lively attitude

If  i have helped at all a click on the white star below would be nice thanks.

Now using the Lumia 1520
Please use plain text.
polydor

So... I'm from Kazakhstan. I've bought my Nokia C7-00 4 days ago.

And my display have this problem with purple... What should I do??

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
rayhipkiss

@polydor.

You can contact Nokia at the following address.

Nokia
Samal Towers, Samal-2, 97, A-2
Almaty
Kazakhstan
Tel: +7 3272 58 33 50
Fax: +7 3272 58 33 19.

Hope that helps.

Ray

Please use plain text.
polydor

@rayhipkiss
Thanks!!
Please use plain text.
Sage

vandelay --thankyou very much for your support on this i have emailed your team with the stores that didnt know abut the issue and ive also emailed the supervisor from the escalation team that i was speaking to previously

if you could also do what you said and get in touch with nokia care for me and forward them my details that would be great

the email i sent earlier only included my email adresse i will send apther now with my phone number etc so you have all details to forward to them

again thankyou for your support on this and helping chase this up for us users i hope you have had safe travels and a good day :-)

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
jerusm

Great... called Nokia today to find out what should be my next move to get my screen sorted out and was told my "warranty isn't supported outside of the country of purchase".

Since I bought my phone in Germany while on vacation and now I'm back in Trinidad, I'm stuck with a faulty phone.

Thanks Nokia!

Please use plain text.
Professor
bazyeo

@jerusm

It is not just Nokia. Most  manufacturers/distributors only provide warranty service in the country of purchase. There are not many that provide an international warranty these days.  There have been a lot of complaints in Australia from people buying products in Asia ( either whilst on holidays or from Ebay) only to find when they get the product back to Australia that a problem occurs and they cannot get it repaired under warranty in Australia. That is fair enough in my opinion.

Your only course of action now is:

Return the phone to place of purchase in Germany for warranty service, or

Pay to have the phone repaired in your country.

This is the price you pay for purchasing a product outside of the country you live in.

Please use plain text.
Professor
bazyeo

I live in Australia. Have a green N8, made in China and purchased 22 November 2010.

In fact all Nokia phones I have purchased since 2002 have been made in China.

As far as I can tell I do not have a problem with the screen on my N8, other than legibility problems in direct sunlight. But this is no different to other LCD/transflective/reflective/capacitive screens I have used since 1997.

Please use plain text.
Sage

[ Edited ]

lets hope that nokia has some good screens to swap ours with as another user from nokia users hasnt had alot of luck so far he wrote

''Ten days ago NCP in my country knew about this issue and were able to identify it. They tried to change my screen, but they told me, that the new one is also faulty.
After ten days (yesterday) they contact me that new screens arrived and they will change it again. It is slightly better than it was but I still has brown/purple tints in my new screen (pictures, movies, etc). None of the test images showe proper image.
So, even after two monts of worldwide complaints Nokia was not able to deliver proper display and keeps selling phones with faulty displays. Those displays degrade use of N8 as a multimedia HD device completely.
NCP is not able to correct this problem, because the screens are of so bad construction and quality. And I was told, there will be no better screen than the one I am having right now after the change.
Buying of N8 was very disapointing for me, I never had so huge problems with any of my previous phones (non Nokia) and that is why I will probably sell my N8 and run away for something else.. It was enough and I am starting to feel absurd as a customer.''

doesnt look good fingers crossed they can still get the good screens that were used in other builds of the n8 as this user still has his problems with bad colours and purple tint etc even after two screen swaps

Please use plain text.
Advisor
_smk_

buxz777 wrote:

doesnt look good fingers crossed they can still get the good screens that were used in other builds of the n8 as this user still has his tint even after two screen swaps

Let's not forget that the defect also decreases the resale value of the device and that puts those who want to sell their device in an uneqal position.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
93tid

buxz777 wrote:

lets hope that nokia has some good screens to swap ours with as another user from nokia users hasnt had alot of luck so far he wrote

''Ten days ago NCP in my country knew about this issue and were able to identify it. They tried to change my screen, but they told me, that the new one is also faulty.
After ten days (yesterday) they contact me that new screens arrived and they will change it again. It is slightly better than it was but I still has brown/purple tints in my new screen (pictures, movies, etc). None of the test images showe proper image.''

Just wanted to clarify that this Nokia user is from the Czech republic.

Please use plain text.