Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: N8/C7 PURPLE SCREEN ISSUE AND HOW TO SPOT IF Y...

Counsellor
kutsikas15

Re: N8/C7 PURPLE SCREEN ISSUE AND HOW TO SPOT IF YOU HAVE IT PLEASE READ

[ Edited ]

-removed- :smileywink:

..::T-A::..
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
93tid

As per the mod's request please e-mail these details to support.discussions@nokia.com and do not post them in the thread as it will only clog it up.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

How is this issue really going to effect anyone if you see a little bit more purple on the screen then normal ?

And if you didn't notice it befor eand it took a test image like this, why even bother with it :smileyindifferent:

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
rayhipkiss

johnmiceter wrote:

How is this issue really going to effect anyone if you see a little bit more purple on the screen then normal ?

And if you didn't notice it befor eand it took a test image like this, why even bother with it :smileyindifferent:

Talk about stirring the hornets nest! :smileywink:.

I'd go into hiding if I were you.

Cheers.

Ray

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Battlebird

[ Edited ]

johnmiceter wrote:

You don't need a test image! It is enough to look at the analouge clock idle screen to see the whole problem.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
kutsikas15

its really disturbing to look videos and pictures because of this problem... most pictures (in low-light condition) i have taken look like poor quality on N8, but on computer those pictures were all ok... so... screen just aint that HD what i paid for.

..::T-A::..
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Wishmaker

[ Edited ]

I've monitored this thread for quite some time since I actually took part in spreading the news about the purple tint problems.  I find it shocking that a reputable board like this does not give the benefit of the doubt and uses a sledgehammer to censor things.  The current state of this thread does not reflect the original state. In any case, I will get straight to the point. 

I bought my Nokia N8 for X-MAS and I paid 500 euros for it.  I saw this device as the pinnacle of Nokia know how and ... how the mighty have fallen.  Ignoring the plethora of software issues, I spotted in my first days of usage a purple tint on the analogue clock.  I ignored it until a few weeks later a I saw a Nokia N8 without a purple tint.  This made my day to be honest.  After being frustrated with this device, I found out that I have a screen problem. 

Bux, with his extensive research, confirmed my issue and that is when we realised that thousands of devices out there are affected and people have no idea.  

I've contacted customer care twice and I was told that the purple tint is :

1. Normal feature on the phone, this is how the clock was designed.

2. Normal screen behaviour for such a high end device.

I also went to Nokia Care Point and I was shocked.  Nokia seems to hire all the hillbillies it can find.  These guys, not only they do not know how to do their jobs, they are also ignorant.  I tell the guy there, my N8 has a screen problem and he says it is normal.  Then brings out 3 other N8 phones with the same problem.  I tell him, just because you show me 3 Nokia N8 phones it does not mean they are not all broken.  The guy said I should leave my phone with them but they won't do much because there is nothing to do. 

I went home, obviously.  When I started to raise awareness about this issue, I friend of mine, who bought a Nokia N8, took his phone to Nokia.  They said they will fix it, they said he is their priority and he should not worry.  3 weeks later, they sent him a Nokia N8 that looked like it was run over by a tank.  The IMEI was scratched out, the phone was horrible. The screen still broken and I ask you, how can Nokia insult customers like that? They receive brand new devices and send these out? He gave them a 2 day old phone, for crying out loud. 

The OP has had similar problems with Nokia and he had to take things to the next level.  Nokia is directly responsible for this poor service because all these guys are working under its umbrella.  I consider myselft one of the lucky ones for keeping my phone on me so far.  My screen is broken but I will not give it to Nokia Care until my legal proceedings paper work is done. 

I will give them my phone and a notice from my lawyer that when I give them the phone, I expect it back or a brand new replacement. If these conditions are not met, I will sue them. Period. The EU commission and consumer protection does not take these things lightly. 

Please use plain text.
Ex-Administrator (Retired)
vandelay

Wishmaker, please send me a PM and elaborate on what you mean by "censorship" so I can discuss it with the forum team. We are not here to censor any topics, only to make sure that everyone plays by the forum's rules.

If you're not happy with the outcome of your repair - and that includes getting a replacement phone that is not in as good condition as the original - call Nokia in your country and make an official complaint with them. (start from www.nokia.com/customerservice)

And if this doesn't help, email us at support.discussions@nokia.com (with your contact details and as much information as possible) and we can ask the local Nokia Care management to look into it.

I wrote all my posts from 2005-2011 as an "Admin" for this community. I still work for Nokia as an external consultant, so my rank in all posts is now "Employee".
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
ghostinv

I went to Nokia care today and left my phone for the purple screen issue. Unfortunately the light was very bright there and i couldn't show them the problem exactly but even though they didn't know about this issue they took the phone and after a short inspection they said that they ordered a new N8 to make a comaprison. I've told them about the discussion in the forum and they said they'll look into it and also that they mailed Nokia about the problem. The new phone will arrive on monday and i'll get a call from them sometime in the afternoon. Will get back with the outcome. Keeping my fingers crossed and hoping for good news.

Nokia 8890
Nokia N73
Nokia N8 Dark Grey
Please use plain text.
Advisor

I doubt the problems with purple screen can be fixed with Nokia care at the moment, as NOBODY has not yet reported about getting it's purple screen fixed. Just google "purple screen fixed" and you will get no positive results. So it's reasonable enough to assume that there are no "good" screens available at the Nokia Care centers. We will just have to wait until the good screens arrive.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
WilsonChoi

im facing the same prob for my c7. i sent to ncc and changed a new lcd. result: same... very dissapointed... it making me mad till like no mood to continue using the phone. come on nokia, settle this up asap... begging u

Please use plain text.
Sage

[ Edited ]

i would think that due to the fact that nokia has only just released the bulletin and that the problem has only just been diagnosed and the cause found that there will still be many many bad screens floating about at nokia care points and in phones on the shelves for sale at the minute

if it was a callobration error at manufactuer level then they would have made 1000s of these screens at the same time and not just a few and i should think that it will take a little while for the newly callobrated screens to flow through from factorys etc

i would have thought maybe a recall on handsets bought between december and march would have been a safer bet from nokia as there will sill be phones for sale that have the issue and will need to be fixed upon purchase out of the box

anyways next week and the following weeks will be intresting to see if anyone manages to get a new screen without the issue and the analouge clock displaying as it does on other n8s

fingers crossed for everyone

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Marv3L

Hi Buxz777,

there was reports of purple screen problem all over the web since last week of january.

The service bulletin was created on 18th February (Someone reported that right in this thread) but it was not delivered to NCPs until recently for some unknown reason (maybe nokia was waiting until all the purple screens in stock are used in production). It menas nokia was aware about the problem since atleast 4 weeks. and they knew that it was a hardware problem and replacing the screens are the only solution.

4 weeks of time should be enough for a big company like nokia to get at least a few good screens from the manufacturer (Unless there was an attempt to cover up or a factor of ignorance).

I am not expecting that nokia will have 100% replacement volumes at this moment in NCPs all over the world, but it's quite logical to expect that at least 5% good screens should be available at the NCPs. at least in countries where nokia still has market dominance. but till now there is no report of a fixed screen.

I understand that the issue was from manufacturer side, but Nokia does not perform any quality checks after getting the raw materials from suppliers, does they? Blaming the manufacturer is fine, but why it was not detected in internal quality checks inside nokia? does nokia think that quality checking is the sole responsibility of the end user?

dear Nokia, can you tell me whether you have stopped manufacturing N8s with purple display or not? give customers a chance to get a defect free N8. I am waiting since december to get one. first the power issue, now a screen issue... Please suggest a date when you will be able to manufacture a N8 which does not have a hardware defect.

Please use plain text.
Myst3rro

When I bought the nokia n8 in 27 February 2011 the display was good, didn't have any purple tint and the Tron trailer was clear quality. Yesterday, reading the thread I told myself to check again the analog clock and the quality of the tron trailer and surprise, now it has the purple tint. A week ago I updated the phone to PR 1.1 and I think that was the cause for the purple tint. That makes me think that it's a software issue and  not a faulty display, or maybe it's the graphic processor or another component?!

Please use plain text.
kuzmichov

There is a videotest for phone! In the description there is a link for downloading video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7mQML0Ki8Y

Please use plain text.
Advisor

Of course it's a software issue. It's just the wrong color profile loaded in the tiny chip that drives display unit. The big question is if that can be fixed with software update for the phone. Anyway, amoled screens seems not to be yet ready for prime time usage with any device at the moment. Sony has to include some advanced color management technology into their first amoled TV to assure that the colors would stay the same during the lifetime of the screen. Blue amoled material just degrades much faster than red and green, so over time color imbalance should be the fact for any amoled screen out there, especially the screens in the mobile devices which doesn't have the advanced color management built in to compensate ageing of different materials.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Marv3L

Yes agreed, the blue subpixels in AMOLED screens are the first one to get degraded. but they dont degrade in a month. it takes about 2-3 years for the degradation process to make any noticable changes in the visual quality of the screens. But the displayes in N8 are brand new. they are not supposed to show the purple tint.

AMOLED screens are tuned to show bluish tints. this is normal. to avoid color balance issue, AMOLED screens should be provided with a software color tuner using which user can fix the color balance when the blue subpixels start to degrade over years. but Nokia did not provide any RGB/Hue-Saturation-color balance tuner in the Symbian OS.

here you can see the disadvantages of AMOLED and the blue tint. Remember the bluish tint from the first batch N8s are normal and those are good screens. The purple screens are defective.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Organic_LED#Disadvantages

No one asked Nokia to provide AMOLED in N8, if it is too difficult to supply or manufacture AMOLED in a large volume in a short period of time, you should ensure that the screens you are supplying to customers are defect free, because there is no way you can recall all the defective screens and supply good ones overnight. thats why strict quality control should come into place which clearly did not happen inside Nokia.

I would rather be happy with super clear LCD if AMOLEDs are too sophesticated and too high-maintenance for Nokia.

Please use plain text.
Sage
cooldudsubho

Same story with me.Mine was perfect when i first used it no gradient issue.Now after a month of use it started to show reddish tint.No wonder apple uses retina display.Cheap quality display used in faulty n8 are degrading too fast.

Please use plain text.
erik2005

[ Edited ]

I am an N8 user who got the phone on the last Christmas day (:smileytongue:), worry about this issue and go through different website and tested with several test pictures and even different methods:

1. With buxz777's picture it seems that my phone also have the issue as well;

2. With buxz777's picture, open it by N8's own photo editor in PR1.1, choose Tuning and then Auto, the last column of the picture display Grey color, the 2 boxs in second last column's right hand size display Grey color, and others seems to be pink / purple. Is that normal?;

3. Trying the Midnight Silver Theme (as some website suggested) it seems ok;

4. Trying the "Big Clock" method (lock the phone then press power buttom), it doesn't seems to have any color issue.

So I have no idea whether my phone should be considered to be "Normal" or "Defective". Can I have you guys' opinion?

Please use plain text.
Contributor
krycho_pl

Guys, I am afraid about what I've just read. I've always use Nokia (since N6130 model long,long time ago) For me Nokia was always a sign of solid, durable phones, but after my last E75 (phone after 1 year and 8 months of normal usage got broken camera ("black screen") and last week display is broken (doesn't work) - got to visit NCC, hope they'll help) I am not sure about it. I would like to buy N8 now, but I read about screen problems, hardware problems, software problems and I am not sure If I want to go to N8. My friends recommends me to buy HTC, but I don't want to do it. I hope that such problems will be fixed as soon as possible and Nokia will treat their customers seriously with full suport and help.

Please use plain text.