Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

N8 Change Language

Registered Member
oleg_cross
Accepted Solution

N8 Change Language

Hello!

I have a problem. My friend bought Nokia N8 today from a store in Sweden. Russian language is not present, and that's a question for you my dear friends, how to add the Russian language on the phone?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

Re: N8 Change Language

You need to get a language pack which includes Russian installed on your phone. This can only be done by a Nokia Care Point. Note that if you ever update the firmware on your phone it will revert back to the original language pack and you will have to get the one with Russian reinstalled again.

You can find your nearest Nokia Care Point at:

For UK
http://www.nokia.co.uk/A4228006
For Europe:
http://europe.nokia.com/A4388379
For Asia-Pacific
http://www.nokia-asia.com/A4416070
Elsewhere:
http://www.nokia.com select your country, go to the support section, then select repair.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
oleg_cross

Thank you for your help.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Hollinch

Really... I am amazed. Why has this changed all of a sudden, all of our previous Nokias used to have a whole slate of languages installed by default. Which has always been very welcome and in this day and age a must.

The world gets smaller, we all have friends and relatives speaking different languages. Having a broader choice of languages should be the standard. We communicate with our friends and relatives commonly in French, English and Dutch. The N8 we bought here is supplied with French, German, English, Spanish and Portugese languages. Not more. With the Nokia multi-key portrait keyboard one NEEDS language recognition support in all languages one uses.

This is going to be my last Nokia if this doesn't change, we already discovered inconsistent quirks with the N8, which only confirm the opinions read in the reviews - Nokia is dropping seriously behind in their software features.

What to think about the defaut behaviour that mobile phone numbers stored in contacts show up as video call numbers if you try to call someone - which it then flatly refuses because video calls are not available. Say what??

Now this, to get additional languages we have to PAY a service centre, and PAY again if the software update process reinstalls the default languages? What consumer service is that? By current standards it is absolutely intolerable.

I'll stick to my Android, which has all the languages availabe I will ever need, and if the N8 software doesn't get any better in the coming period, my wife will get herself one, too. It is a pity, because the camera on the N8 is great.

Nokia used to be the only phone I would consider - the rest was **bleep**. Now that table has turned. Too bad...

A disappointed long-time Nokia (ex-) fan.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Szychan

And I suppose that I will have to pay for changing language in my n8 right ?? if that is right ... I will have to pay once now becouse i reinstaled software on my phone, I will have to pay again when new update will come out in next year,... and I will have to pay any other time when I want to reinstal soft or new one will come out.... come on !!! this is bulls&%@ !!! do something about it please. this is not hard to add supp for downloading other languages or something ! 

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

That is unfortunately the case if you purchase a handset which is not meant for your region/country. 

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Szychan

Yes ... maybe. but I bought it in my country, I didn't knew they shipped it from other region ... and what now ? ehh this is realy pain in the **bleep**. I was tricked and if some other ppl have the same case ... who will they blame ? nokia for not giving option to change language. realy this is not big deal to solve this is it ? 

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

Then you should be taking this up with the people who sold you the grey import. Nokia will change the language pack for you for a small fee. It is important to ensure that the product code of the phone you are purchasing is for your region/country.

Anything you will probably find as well is the warranty may not be valid in your country. 

Please use plain text.
natursyn

I think it's a big inconvenience from the consumer's point of view that Nokia doesn't allow the user to change or add a language beyond the preinstalled ones. In my case I live in northern Germany, my native language is Danish, my working language is English but I occasionally need to communicate in Spanish and Catalan because I often go to Catalonia for work.

My N8 is not a grey import and I wouldn't even care if I'd to pay 3 EUR for each additional language I would like to add (although it's free on Android). That I've to go to a Nokia Care Point and spend a lot of time on this issue is ridiculous. I wrote an email to Nokia Germany a week ago on this issue and they haven't even replied yet! That said, the N8 is a great phone.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
oscarleung

Same case here. i bought the new N8 in australia, but i am now in a working trip in hong kong for 2 years. i can't read the chinese SMS, and surf the chinese website. anyone can help with this?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

The answer is as above. You need to have the language pack containing Chinese installed at your local Nokia Care Point. Please note that you will lose this language pack everytime you update the firmware when the phone revert back to its original language pack.

Please use plain text.
matt57

i've called Nokia store for assistance to change my N8 language pack but they told me that it is not possible even if i pay, the only option is to buy a new one in the Country with the local language? I can't believe!!!

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

Really, maybe it is because you rang a Nokia store instead of a Care Point. The sales person you were speaking to probably annoyed you bought the phone elsewhere.

Obviously there may be other circumstances like you requiring a certain combination of langusges which may not be available in a pack but I would have thought they could at least install your local language pack which is already installed in the local versions of the same phone.

I suggest ringing a care point that is not connected to a store and see what they say.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
mccbleue

Sometimes it depends on the policy of Nokia in the country concerned whether an indivudual service point is available, and in some countries where most phones are operator-variants there is the added complication that their may not be a variant for the operator concerned is not available with particular language selections - Nokia could never be able to reflash, for example, a Vodafone version of the N8 in the UK couldn't be reflashed as Chinese because Vodafone doesn't trade in China so no such version of their software would be available. It is sometimes possible for a service point to add a single language pack, but that is lost if hte phone is hard-reset or subsequently reflashed by a service point.

It is also the case that the individual Nokia service points may not offer the service - their contracts with Nokia only include warranty work, anything they do for you at your cost is a contract between you and the outlet concerned with no involvement from Nokia at all (this is typical across all electronic goods).

Most Nokia phones typically have up to five or six languages by default, and Europe is spilt into four primary regions: west, central, east and Scandinavia; so there is always a chance that 'international' users may not have every language they need.

In the N8, if you are writing in a language that uses the Roman alphabet, you can always get all accented characters by continuing to cycle through the numbers (example: d-e-f-3-è-é-ê...) when in portrait mode, but in landscape mode the full keyboard will only include extra characters according to the needs of hte language that is selected. The only thing you would miss out on is predictive text.

For those who need a language using a different alphabet, though, there isn't a great deal of choice other than to source a phone in a country where the desired language is available as an option. In any case, with the exception of the EU and EEA areas, you should beware of buying abroad due to warranty restrictions. There is a European warranty which means that the guy living in Germany who needs Danish can buy from Denmark and still have a valid warranty in Germany, but this is not the same for the phone mentioned above bought in Sweden and taken to Russia.

Traditionally, the number of languages available on a phone are limited by system resources, but with the latest smartphones coming with much more memory available, this might change in the near future. In the meantime, I have recently seen third-party applications that can add Japanese and Chinese characters to the N8, so perhaps other alphabets will follow.

Please use plain text.
matt57

[ Edited ]

At this time I've contacted a NOKIA CARE center to switch the language from English to Italian and the answer is the sam.

I do not know why NOKIA write something HERE not supported by NOKIA.

Here the answer in Italian from official NOKIA CARE CENTER SUPPORT:

Moderator's Note:

We have edited your post. We would like to remind you that posts should be written in english as the board supports english language only. The board supports English language only as per guidelines.

Please use plain text.
Professor
childofthewo_mj

Back in the Hey Days of Ericsson, before Sony bought them. They had one single very popular Handset, the T39. It is a basic cellphone. Yes! But it contains font glyphs and input methods for every single language in the world. One single phone for a real global world.

Nokia has to realize that countries' boundaries do not necessarily mean that its inhabitants are of native stock. In this era of globalization, human beings & (and if you like) aliens travel around, or are not even born in their countries of ethnic origin; but may be born outside their "home" country and raised by their parents and ancestors to speak their native tongue.

As we push people to learn more foreign languages to bring globalization closer and the world's population closer together, Nokia's mentality is still that of boxing people in regions and boundaries that does not mean anything to us anymore...

Globalization! No regions, no boundaries! That is what "Connecting People" is!

It is odd that Nokia, a Finnish company, does not realize this. Although the National Language is Finnish. Students in Finland are required to take English because no one else understands Finnish except for the Finns. Hence, English is a must in the school curriculum.

For a country that realizes the importance of learning foreign languages, why are you limiting our abilities to be truly global citizens of a world that mingles together, that communicates with each other in many different tongues! No!

Apple and Google realizes this. Nokia used to be at the forefront of mobile technology! Your research is way ahead of Apple and Google's... but yet... you forget about the real meaning of Connecting People in a Huge Single Global Village!

Work harder! Fix this!

Please use plain text.
Professor
childofthewo_mj

Third-Party Apps? Can you let me know which ones? Might want to try!

mccbleue wrote:

Traditionally, the number of languages available on a phone are limited by system resources, but with the latest smartphones coming with much more memory available, this might change in the near future. In the meantime, I have recently seen third-party applications that can add Japanese and Chinese characters to the N8, so perhaps other alphabets will follow.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
mleitman

I need to add my voice to the chorus.  I just bought an N8 here in Canada, it was unlocked from Newegg, but I had tried out a Rogers locked one first.  The only version of English on it is US English.  I (like most English speaking Canadians) use British spelling.  How can I change the language here in Canada?

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Sir1

[ Edited ]

Hi, I have also to add my comments and claims about the languages and manuals. I am a Finnish citizen, born in the Swedish speaking region in Finland. I got  a present this week, a quite nice Nokia N8. I opened the package. No manuals anymore in the package. Ok. Maybe I manage, since this is not the first Nokia I have, to learn to use it without instructions. Lets start to set to time. That went well. Lets continue with to change language from Finnish to Swedish.This phone do not automatically support Swedish, we have 2 languages in Finland. Why shall the Swedish speaking one's have to visit a Nokia Support Care Center in Finland, to install the needed language in the phone. Who is paying that trip, time, parking fees etc??? Next horrible thing. There is nowhere, I say it once again, NOWHERE, in the "piikaopas" and/or "snabbguide", most probably in no else quick manual around the world about this. How come?  I mean without WWW a person can't just solve how to proceed in this siutation.. I have used Nokia phones half of my life, purchased them to my workers, but no I am dissapointed. I also think this feedback will be censured.

MODERATOR'S NOTE: This post has been edited. Inappropriate use of words is not allowed in this forum.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
not_sure

The problem here is that it's 2011, and the concept that people live and communicate exclusively in their little corner of the world is nothing short of grotesque. Heck, many people are fluent in more languages than their *beep* nokia phones support.

What's worse is that apparently you cannot even find out what languages you get before you buy a device in a given country. And don't even get us started on the red herring of grey imports...

Please use plain text.