Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

N8 Copy and paste in contacts

Contributor
thallan1811

N8 Copy and paste in contacts

How do you copy and paste in contacts?

For example, I have merged contacts but after it being merged, the number sits in telephone, not in fax.  So it should be copied from telephone and pasted to fax.

THere is a function to copy or cut, but I can't seem to find the paste function.

Thank you.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
sahil_7

Re: N8 Copy and paste in contacts

Hi thallan,

Basically, you need to be editing some text to be able to paste.  Choose the contact you want to edit.  Then, go to 'Options -> Edit'.  Now select the entry you want to modify (example, telephone or fax) and select the button that will bring up the 'Paste option'.  I don't know the official name of the button but it has three lines on it.

Also, the 'paste' option only comes up if you have done a cut/copy first.

Hope this helps!  :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Contributor
thallan1811

Hi Sahil

It could work but the number copied goes and sits on a clipboard. So when you want to do another one, it takes the first number sitting on the clipboard instead of the new number. The question now is , where do I clear the clipboard?

Thanks for your help.

T
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
sahil_7

You won't have to worry about clearing the clipboard.

When you copy a new number, the clipboard will contain the new number.  Let me know if this isn't working for you.

You're welcome.

Please use plain text.
Sage
Symbian_fan

[ Edited ]

there is another way to do it without opening the keyboard. In contact edit mode when you have the courser in the field go to menu and edit option it will work just as the keyboard editing option only advantage is you don't have to open the keyboard app. 

Again it is mostly useless that the keyboard loads up when you select the field. 

Please use plain text.
Advisor
anhj

Hmm very strange but not working here in contacts. I can copy to the clipboard without any problem, but when I edit a new field (or choose the option menu), no "paste" choice ever shows up.

Do you think it is a bug?

Thanks

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
berto2002

You cannot paste when in the editing screen (i.e. the window you actually use to type the number). You can only paste when in the contact screen itself with the entry space highlighted.

So, this is what you need to do as a trial operation until you get the hang of it:

To Copy:

1. Open the contact
  2. Select Options, Edit
  3. Click on the number you want to cut/copy (it opens the editing window)
  4. Click your cursor to the end or the start of the line with your finger
  5. Click the green tick (you have not edited anything). Your cursor is now at the start or the end of the highlighted field and still flashing
  6. Now click Options, Editing Options, Cut or Copy
  7. Now click Start (your cursor is already in the right place to start the cut/copy
  8. Drag your finger across the number from the end where the cursor is to the other end
  9. Click Copy and the message "Text copied to clipboard" will show
Then, to Paste:
  1. Open the contact you wish to edit (it can be another one or the same one but a different field) and click on the number space you want to paste into (e.g. Mobile (Home))
  2. The number entry box will appear. Enter NOTHING here, just press the green tick to return to the main edit screen for that contact
  3. Now you will see your cursor is flashing in the highlighted but still blank field
  4. Select Options, Editing Options, PASTE
  5. Your number will appear in the highlighted field
  6. Then select Done to save it
The thing about this operation is that it is highly counter-intuitive. I hope they improve it in the next firmware.
I hope this helps.
Rob

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
sahil_7

"You cannot paste when in the editing screen"

That is not true.  You CAN indeed paste when in the editing screen.

There are two ways to paste:

1) actual editing screen where you enter a number

2) options -> editing options -> paste

Symbian is not that counter-intuitive, really.  And, once you start using it, you realize it's potential.  Anyway, have fun with all the cutting and pasting! :smileytongue:

Please use plain text.
Advisor
anhj

Sorry folks, but it does not work here, I suspect a bug.

Precisely, I can copy to clipboard without any problem, I did before.

But when it comes to pasting, following detailed instructions given (or even trying to paste in editing mode), there is NO editing option under options menu or "three bar" key on keyboard, so no way to paste anything.

I use the french localization of firmware, will try to switch to english one to see if this is related to translation.

Thanks for your help anyway.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
anhj

Switched to english, nothing changes and still no "paste" after copy.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
sahil_7

Can you try the following and see if it works?

1.  In the same EDIT screen (any number), copy part of the number...then look for the paste option while in the same EDIT screen?  Does that work?

2. Try the copy/paste option in an application other than Contacts.  Example, internet explorer.  While typing a web address, copy part of it, then try pasting it within the same edit screen.  Does that work?

If 2 doesn't work, reinstalling the firmware would be an option to try.

If 1 doesn't work but 2 works, you probably still need to just reinstall the firmware.  I don't see any option in the Application Manager to reinstall Contacts.

Good Luck!

Please use plain text.
Advisor
anhj

[ Edited ]

Ok, thank you for your checks suggestions, it helped me discover the "solution" to my problem, actually to discover the origin of it.

Most of the phone numbers in my contact list come from synch with my gmail account (which works very well indeed). But I entered the phone numbers there in "human readable" form, that is, with spaces (e.g. +33 1 23 44 55 66). The N8 accepts the spaces, but does not let you enter some in "phone number" fields (stupid IMHO, hope it is fixed in next firmware update). Thus, when I copy a "space separated" phone number, no paste option in another "phone number" field, but no problem to paste in any other field such as name or address...

Whoah, this was a tricky one :smileyhappy:

And by the way, do you really have "internet explorer" installed on you phone ?? Be it available, I would certainly NOT use such a **bleep** on my N8, hehe. I think you meant "browser".

Thanks again for suggesting me to do another try.

And PLEASE nokia guys, allow spaces to be edited in phone numbers, as the "phone app" itself has no trouble with it.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
sahil_7

I'm glad you found what was causing it.  Thanks for sharing it here on the forum - I'm sure some other user's face this exact situation as well.

And, I did say internet explorer, didn't I!!  I meant browser.  IE is indeed such a *bleep*.  Firefox and Opera Mobile all the way.

No spaces in contacts...hmmm...now I'm curious if other phones allow it...Android etc.  I think it looks cleaner without spaces but the app could at least let you paste it in with spaces and remove spaces for you while saving the contact.  Either way, good find!

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Tiek

Hi guys.

Yes is August 2011 and this post still helped me!

THANK YOU

Please use plain text.