Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

N8 Corrupting 16GB SD Cards

Advisor
exeterwayne

N8 Corrupting 16GB SD Cards

My nokia N8 seems to be corrupting my 16gb SD cards. When I put files on them to play on my N8 the files don't work. When I try to play them back on my PC from the card, the files seems are corrupted. I have a 8GB card that's fine, but the N8 has messed up 3 of my 16gb cards.

Anyone else having issues with 16GB cards?

Please use plain text.
Professor
babis3g

Re: N8 Corrupting 16GB SD Cards

[ Edited ]

because the n8 can record hd you need to make sure that memory cards needs to be ... at least class 4 and higher. i would say class 6-10

if your memory card is class 2 then it may corrupt and to slove this you need have the settings of your (camera lower then 5 megapixel and video at least normal tv and not hd recording) if will work
but class 2 should be ok for music at least even it maybe slower readings of the card

you also may need to format the memory card to clear everything so possible bugs and dont go for cheap names cards ...are not really trusted and have the specs they advertise

memory cards are important be good quality

Please use plain text.
Advisor
exeterwayne

They are all class 4 and 1 is Kingston and other 2 are SanDisk. The cards are totally corrupt since using them in my N8. If i put files on them (like a video file) when i try to play them back, they don't play. I have used loads of card readers and usb sticks on 3 different computers, but the cards are knackered. They were working fine before i put them in the N8 :-(

Please use plain text.
Professor
babis3g

[ Edited ]

sorry to hear that
my opinion is:
usally this happen if the micro sd is overwritten many times and seems your n8 needs a clean one or new ... or something with the encryption of the card so if are any settings via pc to check for the card try change it

at your nokia also keep and hold the power button for 8-10 sec so may clear possible bugs
i strongly suggest try to format the card you going to use for the n8 and try again

keep an eye on your thread if something better suggestion

now about restore your corrupted cards you need to format them
if not allow you a pc to do that follow this link
http://www.ehow.com/how_4858964_repair-corrupted-sd-card.html

Please use plain text.
Advisor
exeterwayne

I just borrowed my friends 16gb card and tried it on my N8. It's ruined that one as well, as when he put it back in his the files don't work. I don't know why it's only doing it with 16gb cards and not 8gb cards

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Dipso

It could be something wrong with your device, as it seems this is not a widely reported issue. I have a brand new 16gb card in mine, and its working just fine.

Please use plain text.
Professor
babis3g

there are many reason and i have mentioned up some which probebly did not read because keep adding cards in it
also it could be the drivers in the phone
get in touch with the technical support team in nokia care via phone to see what will say
they more experts than me
mine is fine connected to my hd tv and i tested the usb flash and my 16 gb card is fine
Please use plain text.
Sage
lanita

Hi there,

I didn't have any problems (so far) with my 16Gb card either...

I've been using it with my N82, and now swapped it to my N8 with no problems to report...

If you found this post helpful, please click the green button. Thanks!
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

BTW guys, just out of curiosity, could you tell us what speed class memory cards you are using? The OP is using a Class 2.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
nah79

Same thing has happened to me- with a 32 gb class 6 Kingston memory card.

I've now got a load of broken photo files in my photo album- when i try to delete them, gives a general system error.Tried formatting- works for a little while, then corrupts the images.

At a loss as to how to fix.

Please use plain text.
NorthernCat

Re: N8 Corrupting SanDisk 32GB Micro SDHC Class 4 Card

I am fuming and gutted to read the threads about these issues. I have a new 32 GB card in my N8 and sure enough it has corrupted all my video and images. It seems nobody has a clue what's going on? Anybody have a clue what the problems are? It's a brand new card, I've formatted it twice, the N8 keeps destroying any image and video I save on it!

Please use plain text.
Advisor
skinzzy

I have had a bit of experience here, ok here we go, i bought one of then fake 32gb micro sd's from china off ebay for £7, now theres a reason why a proper 32gb micro sd class 4 in the uk about £70 and **bleep** ones from china are about £7, now thats the reason cos they are **bleep**, seems the small ones are ok like the 2gb, 4gb, etc but the bigger ones are a no no.

I have an n8 and when i got the cheapo 32gb micro sd, i formatted it from the phone straight away, when i tried to transfer music or videos over,  sometimes it would copy sometimes not, sometimes it would play sometimes not, sometimes corrupt, you get the picture.

now some good news i bought a proper 16gb integral micro sd class 4 in orig retail packaging from ebay uk for £20, now straight out of the packaging i thought im not gonna format the card and whacked it straight in the phone, now i have transferred shedloads of music pics and dvd over to it and guess what the n8 has not had 1 problem with anything.

could be a coincidence that i have now got a proper card and all is well, but im swaying more to the way the n8 formats the mem cards, its maybe a combination of both, but most likely its the fake 32gb micro sd i bought from china.

thats the problem i had, hope this helps you in any way shape or form

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
aspergerguy

You are quite correct in your assumption that reputable brands of memory card such as Sandisk are pre-formatted and ready for use straight out of the packet!

Happy to have helped forum with a Support Ratio = 42.5

Please use plain text.
Advisor
skinzzy

I also failed to mention that I also formatted the 32gb card in my pc as a full format and also with an sd card formatting prog and still had problems, doesn't matter what make of card you got if it's a cheapo card from ebay it's most likely a fake average price for a 16gb should be around £20 _ £30 get a new card don't format it at all the n8 makes folders automatically for most media types as soon as you insert the card for the first time, shouldn't have any problems at all if you do it like that
Please use plain text.
Advisor
skinzzy

Btw I have a class 4 in both my n8 and my sony hd 1080p camcorder and it records hd fine but if I put a class 2 in my camcorder I get errors and it won't record any hd

The n8 is a quality phone but I could make a few suggestions to nokia to make it flawless but hey thats just me !!! Like Being able to change the sensitivity of auto rotate to be more sensitive as I think it's better on my old 5230
Please use plain text.
Advisor
skinzzy

Sorry to go on but I thought I have to add if anyone it's getting white on their photos when they use the flash mine was due to the flash bouncing off the silicone case back into the lens lol took me a whole week to work that one out I took out out the case and wellah perfect photos with the flash
Please use plain text.
BorgVampire1

[ Edited ]

I have a 32Gb Micro SD card which my N8 says is corrupted. It is a class 6 one from Amazon and the brandname is Sandisk.

I did a little research before buying it to see what difference the class numbers make to the card itself so found out I need a Class 6 or over to work properly on the N8 as it needs to be fast enough to dump the data onto it from taking a photo or video. It cost a little over £70.

I have formated it on my computer after saving the info off it to that computer and then putting the info back on it before putting it into the N8 but it still didn't see it.

I have had the Micro SD card inside its Adapter and connected to the computer and it can see and display images from it and play the mp3 music files and mp4 videos on it too.

I have now formated it again and left it blank this time and placed it into the N8.

This time the N8 has seen it and placed some folders onto it as well.

They are called "Images, Other, Sound Files, Video Clips".

Hopefully now I can connect it to the PC and start copying all my stuff back onto it again. Hope this helps anyone else that is trying to get their N8 to jump when they tell it to.

I have still to figure out why it is suddenly stalling and crashing at times though and I am about to look that up in these Nokia Support Discussions pages. Good luck people and don't forget to READ THE MANUAL FIRST!!! Which is downloadable from the internet at

http://nds1.nokia.com/phones/files/guides/Nokia_N8-00_UG_en.pdf

since its not included in the box, which would be pretty annoying if you didn't have a PC to download it from.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Madcat_SJ

I have a 16Gb class 4 Toshiba Micro SD, no problems so far.

I formatted card via phone.

Also, used on PC once, no problems.

Please use plain text.
Qatarii

I got the same problem,

Straight out of the package i have used my 32GB Class 4 SanDisk MicroSDHC in my N8 and unluckily the media files kept getting corrupted.

When I finally got it to work, the phone took a hugh time reading the card and didnt recognize all mp3 and acc files that i had, although they were working ok in my 5800xm 4GB MicroSDHC

PLEASE NOKIA Address this issue ASAP since ur phone manual recommends a class 4 microsdhc and says that the N8 is compatiable with 16GB and 32GB cards

Please use plain text.
Professor
greycounciller

Just to add my piece, I have a 16gb Class 6 PNY card bought from Play.com.

When I reformatted my N8 and inserted the card, it takes a good 15 mins to install the card.

That is either with or without data on it.

Something odd is happening to any size card in N8's and it just seems random.

Jurassic Park, Sam Neill to Dickie Attenborough " Mr. Hammond, the phones are working !"
N8-00 Tesco UK 059C951, Lumia 920
Please use plain text.