Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: N8 Email - Unable to connect to mail service s...

Contributor
vcb1981
Accepted Solution

N8 Email - Unable to connect to mail service server. Try again later. HELP!

I have my Nokia N8 for a good few months. Email stop sync-ing so deleted my 1 and only email account (Hotmail) and now I can not get any email back.

I have played with internet settings, rebooted my phone but still nothing.

Basically, this is what happens:

Got to set up email

Some text comes up about what mail can do and you have the option of start of exit

Press start, and it says preparing for set up, then it comes up with Unable to connect to mail service server. try again later.

The next options I have are to enter email and password or cancel.

If I enter email and password it comes up with an option to click on mail for exchange and I have to start entering user name, domain, etc or I can exit.

So, can anyone help me restore the email function. When I got the phone you had an option of hotmail, yahoo, etc etc. And that is what I want back.

Also I should mention, I don't have any options around pushing or pulling email as it never gets that far into setting up email.

I live in the UK, so was wondering if I should just take it into my local carphone warehouse who deal with Nokia support and demand it gets repaired? It's part of what I paid for so they should repair/replace for me?

Any advice would be good,

Thanks

Vicki

Please use plain text.
Ex-Moderator (Retired)
Carltabi

Re: N8 Email - Unable to connect to mail service server. Try again later. HELP!

Hello Vicki,

The reason you can't see the other mailbox options such as  yahoo, hotmail or gmail is because you have not inserted your sim card in the phone before performing this action.

Place the sim back in and restart the phone, now you can apply the same steps as you previously did.

Good luck

If this post answers your question, you can help others by clicking the green accepted solution' button.

Please ask your questions to the main board and not to my mailbox. Thank you.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
vcb1981

Hi
I have tried this but still the same. I always have my SIM and memory card inserted in my phone anyway. I have tried removing and putting back in when phone is off but still no good :-(

Thanks for suggestion anyway. Do you have another suggestion for me to try please?

Thanks, Vicki
Please use plain text.
Contributor
MayurShah

Hi friends,

I found the solution here

http://goo.gl/cWtId

Thanks

Mayur Shah
www.MayurShah.in
Please use plain text.
Contributor
vcb1981

I cant get into the link above. what does it say?

Still cant get the email app to work, really annoying as it is a big feature of the phone and is something i used to use all the time.

Any more suggestions from anyone please? Tried the sim card thing again  but still not working :-(

Thanks

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
ankan27

Did you solve the problem with email? I have the same problem with my N8 and I´ve tried to remove the sim-card but it didn´t work out anyway :smileysad:

I would be glad if I can get some help!!!

Ankan 

Please use plain text.
Contributor
vcb1981

Still not sorted for me :-(

Wont be getting a Nokia phone ver again after this.

Please use plain text.
petugi

Dear Nokia... And Nokia Users.

This problem is still there. i just sumped my E72 (which by the way had email issues) and bought the N8 that shipped with belle. I cant set up email accounts. keeps going back to main screen or says preparing for setup but nothing.

for those with working devices tell us how you set up your email. 

if a NOKIA STAFF or MODERATOR is readung this, could you plese suggest a solution to my N8 with belle cant set up email issue.

i am missing so much.. and i am patient.

Petugi....

Please use plain text.
petugi

ok fine. Good bye nokia.....!
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
manojsom

dear moderator i have been using nokia mail servise for months but suddenly iam also facing the same problem as above can you please give a quick responce or else iam also thinking of dumping nokia and going for an i phone or galaxy 2
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
wasted

manojsom wrote:
dear moderator i have been using nokia mail servise for months but suddenly iam also facing the same problem as above can you please give a quick responce or else iam also thinking of dumping nokia and going for an i phone or galaxy 2

SEEING AS NO ONE FROM NOKIA BOTHERS 2 CHECK THIS FORUM. Can any1 tell me how u solved the prob,if in fact u did?

Please use plain text.
Sage
Dan555

First put false data as username and password (e.g. 'a@a' and 'a'). You should then get two options, Exchange/ActiveSync and Other POP/IMAP.

If you're using Hotmail or Google or another provider which supports Exchange/ActiveSync account then choose Exchange/ActiveSync and set it up according to their instructions.

If you're using Yahoo or any other provider which does not support Exchange/ActiveSync then choose Other POP/IMAP and set it up according to their manual instructions. If your provider allows you to use both POP and IMAP then use the IMAP settings.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
astrelevents

Same issue, **bleep** is this all about?

how come we cannot add a simple email account to our phones?

Come on nokia people whats the issue here, everyone uses email now days and your phones are stopping people from adding email account to there phone (N8)

Answer this forum and sort this issue out , or do you have no idea why your phones has this problem?

FFS, whats the point of having a forum and offering a product if your not going to offer support for either.

Please use plain text.
Professor
hpholm

[ Edited ]

For the answer of both how and why please refer to the post by Abi99 earlier this week:

http://discussions.nokia.com/t5/Symbian-Devices/quot-Unable-to-connect-to-mail-service-server-quot-o...

Please click the star below that post to draw attention to the expired Nokia certificate, which Microsoft Mobile Oy must renew to solve the problem! - Also use the false username and false password trick, if it is a first time mail setup on a freshly reset Symbian phone, to avoid any Nokia Messaging clutter, and then input server details manually.

EDIT: The expired certificate was renewed is now valid until 2015-07-10

--

Hans

Please use plain text.