Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: N8 Gorilla Glass Alcohol Safe?

Advisor
Olsen_Ong
Accepted Solution

N8 Gorilla Glass Alcohol Safe?

Hi,

So does alcohol remove and component/coating of the Gorilla Glass Screen?

Will the screen get brittle, prone to scratch, become rough, lose shininees, prone to fogging, or anything else?

I used alcohol to clean it once sand just wanted to make sure nothing (coating or something) was removed from the Gorilla Glass Screen. But so far i don't see anything wrong.

Why I used alcohol? It's a long story. XD

Please use plain text.
Ex-Moderator (Retired)
Carltabi

Firstly,  it isn't a good idea using alcohol to clean your device as you may end up creating more harm than good.

Try and use a soft,clean, dry cloth to clean any lenses such as camera, proximity sensor, and light sensor lenses) or the display screen.

^C

If this post answers your question, you can help others by clicking the green accepted solution' button.

Please ask your questions to the main board and not to my mailbox. Thank you.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
jimmyireland

Use a lint free cloth to clean the screen and as extra protection invest in a cover or case..

If  i have helped at all a click on the white star below would be nice thanks.

Now using the Lumia 1520
Please use plain text.
Professor
j444lh

I have used my Glasses cleaner, sprayed on to a tissue first, then wipe the screen when it gets very grubby, i.e. It's been borrowed and has makeup all over it.

Assumption being if the cleaner is designed not to harm the coating on glasses then the N8 should be safe.

N95 (RM159) V31.0.017, N8 (RM596) Belle 111.040.1511
Please use plain text.
Sage
laffcarl

Your better off drinking the alcohol then you won't notice the blurry screen ;-)
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Olsen_Ong

Re: N8 Gorilla Glass Alcohol? What happens?

Thanks for your comments. It was always in my mind not to use alcohol. I don't want to explain why I used alcohol since it 's a long story. But can we stick to my question?

What does alcohol do to the Gorilla Glass material? Since I already 'did' it, there is no use telling me I should use this and use that as I already know what is safe to use. XD

(I don't want to repeat it again but the reason why I used alcohol is a long story, I already did it before creating this thread)

So the question again is 'What happens to the Gorilla Glass material with alcohol?"

and by the way those screen cleaner spray thingies, do they contain alcohol in it?

Please use plain text.
Sage
laffcarl

Hey dude, ok sensible head on now. Most cleaners have a very small amount of denatured alcohol in them? By this i mean substances like isopropal alcohol which is a virtually pure alcohol... It's not really any good using vodka or such like as they leave a residue... The only real danger i can imagine if you have used neat alcohol is not the glass but the surround and plastics it likes to eat also if your slopping it about it may get under the glass and dissolve the glue holding it in. Hope this helps :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Olsen_Ong

Awesome! Thanks

Please use plain text.
Professor
JudaZ

[ Edited ]

To get a proper answer I would suggest going straigt to the source, Corning Incorporated that makes the actuall glass. They are in the end the best people to answer any question concering alcohol and their product:

They have the following webpage: http://www.corninggorillaglass.com/

and thier e-mail address is: gorillaglass@corning.com

Hope this helps :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Olsen_Ong

Unfortunately I have tried contacting them, but they won't even give me a clue. That's why I made this thread.

Please use plain text.
Professor
cataholic

Alcohols will not attack glass itself so there is nothing to worry about with that. But as others have already pointed out it can attack some plastics, adhesives and coatings so should not be used on the phone.

I have been using good quality lens cleaners that are sold for cleaning spectacle lenses and which clearly state on the label that they are safe for plastic lenses, frames and lens coatings. I do not spray them on but just dampen a soft cloth or lens tissue and wipe on the glass screen only.

I have had no problem with these, but I do not guarantee that your experience will be the same.

Please use plain text.