Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: N8 Headphone or N8 itself problem

Advisor
anson_ljh
Accepted Solution

N8 Headphone or N8 itself problem

Does anyone come across the problem when your phone has set the headset as a default accessories, yet when i connect my original headphone to the phone, sometimes it still prompt me to select either headphones, music stand or TV-Out. No option to select headset. So i have no choice, but to select headphones. 

After selecting headphones, a message pop out to mention that "use phone microphone". Means i only can talk through the phone microphone instead of the original handsfree. 

Sometimes it went worse that i can't use any on the control button on my original headset.

Can i know anyone who are using N8 has the same problem? or only me got this problem. Should i send my N8 back to Nokia Care center?

Please advice.

Please use plain text.
Sage
tribalmasters

Are you inserting the connector all the way in? It will click when it is. Also the problem happens on mine when the plug is inserted too slowly and can't detect what it is !
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
blue_crim

he's right. make sure you plug it fast and all the way in. there'll be no prompt or whatsoever if you do so :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Advisor
delirii

I've got the same problem too. Tried many times today before having it to handle this accessory correctly !

This phone (N8) has too many bugs in its first firmware... Really annoying :-(

Please use plain text.
shreyasxlive

HEAD PHONE CONTROL FIX FOR N8...

PLEASE READ THIS COMPLETELY...

EVERY 1 N8 DOES NOT HAS ANY ISSUE WITH ITS HEADPHONES 

[NOTE:IN OFFLINE PROFILE YOUR PHONE IS OUT OF NETWORK

YOU WILL NOT RECEIVE CALL,S OR MSG,S]

1]SELECT OFFLINE PROFILE FIRST BEFORE YOU PULGIN HEADPHONES

(NOW PLUGIN HEADPHONES PROPERLY)

(THERE IS NO OTHER WAY  THE HEADPHONES CONTROL WORK ONLY IN

OFFLINE PROFILE MODE) IF ANY OTHER PHONE HAS THIS ISSUE SELECT

OFFLINE PROFILE FIRST....E.G 5320.

2]NOW OPEN MUSIC PLAYER & PLAY A SONG AND OBSERVE THESE

ON SCREEN v

3]DOUBLE TAP BACKWARD << TO PLAY PREVIOUS SONG

(IF NOT WORKING TAP QUICKLY IT DEPENDS ON HOW YOU

TAP)

4]SINGLE TAP FORWARD >> TO PLAY NEXT SONG

5]NOTE:smileyfrustrated:ONG ONLY CHANGES BACK AND FORTH IN 1 ALBUM

E.G IN 1 ALBUM THERE ARE 3 SONGS YOU CAN SWITCH FORWARD

AND BACKWARD BETWEEN THOSE 3 SONGS ONLY

(IF U GOT A PROPER LIBRARY FROM OVI STORE WITH SONG DETAILS)

6]IF YOU MANUALLY ADDED SONG THEN U CAN SWITCH BACK AND FORTH

BY DOUBLE TAPPING << FOR PREVIOUS SONG AND SINGLE TAP >> FOR

NEXT SONG

(THE SONG WILL RESTART OR PAUSE IF U SINGLE TAPPED << BACKWARD

HOPE THIS POST FIXES YOUR HEADPHONES CONTROL PANEL ISSUE ENJOY...

Please use plain text.
nettlatic

:smileyvery-happy: you are wonderful  :smileyhappy:)) thank you soooooo much for yr help , it sure works now THANK YOU :smileyhappy:)

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
anhviet199

I just got this problem a few minutes ago.

You can unplug the headphones, go to settings/phone/accessories then hold your finger on headset, choose set as default.

Cheers

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
skalypsotone

You are wrong sir!  The Nokia N8 has a problem with it's headset and not only that.

First of all, whenever I attach my headset it stays "attached" even when unplugged and needs a complete re boot to have the phone work "normally".

Second, it crashes often and quite randomly... = **bleep**!

Third, the FM transmitter won't work at all.  It tells me that it can not use the FM if accessories are attached when clearly they are not .... = double **bleep**!

What a rip off!

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
krisq

Correction, your N8 has a problem. Mine is prefect and you are just unlucky.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Numis

Thank you very much!

This works. If you attach slowly, the phone recognizes only headphones

and mic and the controls don't work. If you attach quickly, the phone recognizes

the phone & mic combo and the controls work too.

Perhaps the mic is on the last "segment" of the pin that is inserted, so

if there's a delay on it being inserted, it is not detected.

I do hope this is a software and not a hardware issue and will be fixed in the

next firmware.

Can users who did not experience problems try inserting the handsfree slowly,

so we can see whether all phones are affected?

N8 / RM-596
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
N8ty_boy

So what I have observed is that its not just about fast or slow .. but ensuring that the headphone goes all the way in (with just 0.5mm of metal visible) in one go. Inserting in steps for some reason confuses the firmware .. may be since its an AV connection and not an audio only like for most phones.

Interestingly .. the headset icon appears much earlier before the final click and tends to confuse users. I was confused as well and thought my headset was faulty .. until I read a few posts.

My N8 & headset are working perfectly fine .. excellent sound and all the controls work great.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
NSKFRE

Thanks so much. I had the same issue, when I pressed hard (it is really hard!) it clicked and the sound is fine now

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
prinal

Whenever I connect headphone with mic to my Nokia N8 it gives me the message to activate Voice command and the song that I play is not at all clear you can hear the music but the voice is not clear. Even if I cancel the voice command message it pops up back. I tried different headsets but it happens with all. If I use a headphone with out mic this does not happens and song I play is also clear. Plz help

Please use plain text.
Advisor
santanasy

[ Edited ]

I have this problem too.I have to connet quickly and then everything is OK... :-(

Please use plain text.
N8lover

I had a similar problem, where my headphone controls refused to work and I read the posts, the twist here is I was always connecting it fast and stopped to push harder to get it all the way in, so I decided to connect it slower and it works fine, no questions of TV-Out or anything, the Mic always worked and sound was great but no controls, but when I connect it slowly, rubbing against the sides with no pausing in momentum until I hear the click then it doesn't matter where I am on the phone, all controls work well. Try it out, it worked for me :smileywink:

I have the latest firmware update on my beautiful Dark Grey N8 and it works wonderfully, great device despite what people say, I have had no further problems than the headphone controls.. Not a big deal since I'm getting a BH-503 Stereo Bluetooth headset for it anyway. (I hate wires, even though I like these wired headphones over all other's, they're pretty nice) :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Contributor
kundanraj

in my n8 have the same problem but from the last 5 days no any headphone getting detected in my n8.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
eyedol

Hello 

Pls guys i have gone through all the solution on this discusssion but the controls are not working and the mic too is not working.

When i insert it fast then it comes headphones use phone microphone. When i do it slow then it comes default accesary: headset but still the controls dont work and the mic doesn't work to.

Is the problem from the PR 1.1 firmware update or may be the headset or the phone itself.

Is annoying me now so pls help me 

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
rayhipkiss

When I try connecting the headphones supplied with my N8 I'm unable to use the controls on the headphones.

When I connect the headphones that were supplied with my 5800XM to my N8, I can use the headphone controls no problem.

Read into that what you will.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
pelican80

Ohh Thank u so much .... u solved my problem. My headphone mic wasn't working...i almost had a heart attack when i found my headphone's not working....now at least this issue is solved...wanted to thank you guys...

I do find N8 rather slow and non-responding at times..... I wonder what will happen when i'll try to run several applications simultaneously... I've always been a loyal user of Nokia and don't want to be disappointed by this cute phone... but i can foresee some problems ... i used to run at least 5 or 6 applications on my previous nokia cell without any problem... I only expect better from my new N8....

Please use plain text.
Sincere007

**** PROBLEM SOLVED ****

First of all its the Firmware issue and we are expecting it to be solved in PR2.0 ... the update which is totaly new built

Secondly dont push pin so much coz it will not disappear totaly.

Thirdly few tips may help you ... first remove the pin and go in accessories settings and make HEADSET default ... not headphones.

then insert pin fastly but not push it hard inside ... just quickly inside.

play now and check the buttons.

if it doesnt work then try rebooting and changing profile to offline .... then play music and check buttons ... then go to general profile and check if it keeps working .

I hope this wil help and I hope u didnt damage the jack ... keep waiting for PR2.0

hav fun

Please use plain text.