Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: N8 Huge Camera Problem Found, Please Advice!!

nilesh_sn2001

N8 Huge Camera Problem Found, Please Advice!!

Hello all Nokia guys, I am a new member in this forum as well as to Nokia.

I bought Nokia N8 on Sunday 5 th Dec 2010 ( Mumbai, India ).

That day i did not test camerra in the night time. I clicked many photos during Day time and it looked just Gr8.

Now when i tried taking pictures at night, my worst night mare came to life.

I am attaching some of the pictures taken during night time.

You can see many shinig spots in the picture. I don't know how these spots appeared.

Please suggest me solution....

Camera settings are default. ( Flash is ON. no night mode everything in setting is set to Automatic )

Please tell me whether this problem is common to all or any.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

I must admit I have not seen one like this before. There are reports of hazy photo with the flash indoors which can be dealt with by modifying settings etc but not one with spots. 

I presume you have removed the screen protector that comes with the phone and the lens is clean.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Creepy

I get this when I tried to take a picture at night in the rain.

Post up an indoor dark shot.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
synth_fg

It does look like the plastic shipping film has been left on

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
gooner1

sure does : )

Please use plain text.
Sage
jake20

[ Edited ]

I have gotten this as well at times.. i believe its due to the flash being very close to the lens, and in certain environments which are dark, dusty or humid with moisture in the air.. you will get this result.

but there is a bigger issue with the N8 and indoor flash photography. Indoor flash shots under ambiant lighting produce TERRIBLE hazy washed out, blue looking pictures.

You can get somewhat acceptable results if you turn on red eye flash, and tweak the white balance & EV ... but i really hope Damian Dinning is working on correcting indoor flash settings in the next firmware update.

Please use plain text.
nilesh_sn2001

Sir! I have removed the Plastic Film on the Lens. And yes, the lens is clean and I clean it everytime before taking photos.

I have searched over the net and found that, in dusty ( or a little bit dusty) environment, the flash light gets reflected from the small dust Particles in air. This is the reason for those white spots.

But i don't get it. I mean i have seen Cameras with Xenon Flash (I mean the costlier ones), they do not face any such problems.

I think N8 camera is built so complex that it can  take photos of Micro Organisms !!.

But Please let me know if any of you guys facing similar problems.

Again, i point out that the camera settings set to default ( no tweaking at all) with Lens Cover Removed And lens is very clean.

Please help!!

Please use plain text.
Sage
Chefproll

Lens protection film got removed, lens had been quite clean ? - Fine.

But it's HUMIDITY causing that spots in the pictures: Your lens just got wet.

That's all.

Please use plain text.
bergesidenisse

"Hazy photo" is finger interfering with the flash. Try and see?

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

This is simply light from the flash reflecting off airborne dust particles. It is a very common phenomena with compact digital cameras and I have seen this question and hundreds of examples posted on forums over the last 8 years of owning digital cameras. I have even seen someone claiming it to be evidence of UFO existence. Look up any reputable photo forum and search for dust or strange flash effects and you can spend hours reading posts from many confused camera users.

Hey, maybe Nokia can claim that this makes the N8 even more camera like?

Personally, I think  my indoor flash shots are remarkable(for a phone) and I have taken a couple in a pub which do exhibit the dust reflection.  

Please use plain text.
Contributor
ManikNarula

yeah, m also facing the kind of prob, its terrible, n spoils all the fun of a digi cam.. i have a digi cam too n i took shots of a tree one by one, firstly by cam n the by n8, the cam pic was clear but the n8 captured a lot of dust.. the cam is also a 12.0 m.p. with xenon flash..

@nokia admin- please discuss a possible solution to it as soon as possible.. thank you.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Gilbertd

[quote]@nokia admin- please discuss a possible solution to it as soon as possible.. thank you.[/quote] Buy a camera rather than try and use a phone to do the job of a camera. The problem is caused by the fact that the flash is very close to the lens and will happen if you try to use flash in dusty or humid environments or during rain. The original posters photos also show up how feeble the flash is too. It doesn't have the power to illuminate anything other than the foreground.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
ManikNarula

but now when the flash is pretty close to the camera, it refelects the light of the flash from the dust particles.

but what to with it, its making it difficult to click pictures in night time.

i've preffered nokia everytime but now, this problem is troubling me.

what can we do about this problem.

i've noticed that since i installed "camera update for n8" by betalabs, this prob is more intense.

i think its because of the better macro focusing of the update.

can this be resolved?

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Gilbertd

Yes, buy a camera! Don't try to use a telephone.

Market research has shown that most people simply want to be able to take snapshots of their friends in the pub, club or nightclub so that is what it is intended to do. Try anything different and it might work but just as equally it might not depending on the conditions and what you are trying to take a photo of.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
ManikNarula

Anyways, I'll still appreciate u and nokia for their services and this n8. Its a really good phone.:smileyhappy:

Thank you u sir..
U deserve the thanks.. 

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Gilbertd

Look, where Nokia have gone wrong here isn't with the camera, they have fitted the N8 with the best camera on any phone, it's with the hype. They have hyped it up so much that those that don't know any better expect it to be as good as a decent quality compact digital camera which it never can be without trebling the size of the phone. It's better than the cameras on equivalent phones but it is still an add-on to a phone and not a camera. Under ideal lighting conditions it can produce some very good images but will never match a camera. Think about it, there's a Carl Zeiss 28mm f2.8 lens that's about 10mm across. Now look at the diameter of an f2.8 lens fitted to a digital SLR. See the difference?
Please use plain text.
Contributor
ManikNarula

yes its clear to me now, but still i love its camera quality.

i can use it in the day time and for the night time, my digicam will do the job.:smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
GraphitIndia

It's not N8 but reflection of the dust particles around. Cheap Camera also does the same as good camera equipped with some kind of filter to eliminate such disturbances.

I wish Nokia Start CDMA Handset in India again.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
hamadhasan05

n8 shows spot tonight... I m also facing this problem..
Please use plain text.
krupier97

I'm afraid there's something wrong with the separator between the lens and xenon flash. Maybe the light of the flash "gets inside" of the lens and reflects micro-dust on the other side of the glass covering the camera. I think you should disassembly your N8 and check it. You can find many tutorials around the internet, I recommend this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_7C8wdysbI

Hope I helped.

PS. I also have the N8 and disassembled it many times. It helped me when the lens cover got stuck.

Remember Nikola Tesla - the father of present day technology.
Please use plain text.