Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

N8 Internet Priority Problem

Advisor
exeterwayne

N8 Internet Priority Problem

I have a problem with the internet settings on my new N8, I have a lot of wan connetions set up (for when i go to a friends ect) but when i go onto the internet it always uses my GPRS or 3G connection, even though the GPRS priority is the last on the list. I always have to connect to the WAN manually, which is a complete pain, this was never a problem on my N97. Has anyone got any ideas on how to fix this. I tried doing a full reset, but it made no difference.

Thanks in advance :-)

Wayne

Please use plain text.
Sage
wezzyd

Re: N8 Internet Priority Problem

i usually just have my access points set to alwayd ask
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
netborn

Under Destinations, search the WLAN APN look the last item "Use Access Point" --> set to AUTO
Please use plain text.
Advisor
jan10028

I noticed the same problem with low reception WiFi's. When ever the WiFi conection isn't close to perfect my N8 would us UMTS or GSM even if that conection is poor too.

jan (N8 previous 5800 XM, E51, E65 and Banana)
Please use plain text.
Advisor
exeterwayne

I'm not quite sure about how to the Auto APN thing i'm afraid I've tried setting up the WAN again, but the phone still insists on connecting to the GPRS instead of any availible WANs i have saved It does this on any app that requires a network connection :-(

Please use plain text.
Advisor
exeterwayne

I've just sent the following email to Nokia Care about my issue, this is what i wrote:-

I'm having a serious issue with my new N8. I have several WAN points set up my my Destinations Menu, my WAN from home is set to priority 1 and all the others 2,3,4,5 and so on with my Vodafone GPRS set to last. When i connect to the internet from home, it will connect to my WAN, however if I go to a friends house and i have their WAN settings stored in my phone, it bypasses all the WAN priorities and connects straight via my Vodafone GPRS. This was never a problem with my N97, so what is it doing this?

I'll let you now what they say, although they will prob want the know the ins and outs of the phone and what hand i wipe my bum with, before i get a response about my problem! lol :-)

Please use plain text.
Professor
bazyeo

Try doing the following. Open the access point for your vodaphone account and scroll down to the last item - use access point - and set to after confirmation. This way your phone should ask if you wish to connect to vodaphone.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
exeterwayne

[ Edited ]

Hi Bazyeo, I can't seem to find such setting on my N8

This is what i've gone to

Menu>Settings>Connectivity>Settings>Destinations>Internet>Vodafone Internet GPRS

When I click on Vodafone Internet GPRS the options are

Connection name: Vodafone Internet GPRS

Data bearer: Packet data

Access point name: Internet

Username: web

Prompt password: no

Password: ****

Authentication: Normal

Homepage: None

Thats all the options I have. :-( Have I gone into the wrong menu somehow?

I don't understand why it will always connect to my WAN, but no-one else's on the list. It just seems to disregard them and connects straight to GPRS :-(

Please use plain text.
Professor
flagpole

Are we using the word WAN to describe WLAN?

There's no dignity in begging for kudos. Do it for the karma.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
krisq

[ Edited ]

I remember that once I've had a similiar problem on my N97. One of the Access Points configured in 'Destinations/Internet' became the default one, instead of the whole 'Internet'. All I needed to do in this case was to highlight 'Internet', go to options and make this whole folder default again.

On N8 I would expect you have to hold a finger on 'Internet' to show the options for it.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
exeterwayne

Thanks for your help guys, i spoke to Nokia on the phone, and they have no idea what they are talking about. They tried telling that the security settings on my WLAN's are wrong etc etc. I think i'll send the phone back and stick with my N97 :-)

Please use plain text.
Krupion

I actually gets worse : have bought the phone a few days ago and :

The problem is with applications, including OVI, that do not know how to
connect to Internet by using the order of priority that is set for the
various access points.
As a simple example on my phone the priority is set to 1 for the network
provider access point ( T Mobile) and 2 for my home WLAN.
This means that whilst at home the phone will try to access the 3G network
first ignoring that a known WLAN is present. So at home I CHANGE the
priority to 1 for my WLAN.
When away from home the applications on the phone should AUTOMATICALLY see that there is no known WLAN and should use the 2nd priority which is 3G. This they do NOT do and I get a connectivity error messages. This does not mean the phone is defect , it is a DESIGN error.
I do not believe Nokia expects us to MANUALLY change access point priorities
when home and when away .

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
OBAADENUSI

Hello Guys,
I used to have an Iphone 4 but got lost some days ago and i have to go for the new nokia N8 that is been unlocked, i am able to make calls and SMS, but the problem that i am having is getting my Data to work and i have called Fido a lot of time to get the setting, and i got it from them but my Data is still not working what can i do ?????
APN setting i got from Fido
Wap.fido.ca
Ip 205.151.011.011
homepage: Http:// fido.mobi
username: fido
password: fido

Internet.fido.ca
username: fido
password: fido
DNS

After i have input all this to my Nokia N8, i am still not able to use my Data guy i need help from you.

Thanks all

Please use plain text.
TimothyJones

I notice a similar issue.  Even though my home and work WiFI WLAN are each set to 1st and 2nd priority respectively, my 3rd priority GSM network is used even while my Nokia N8 is actively connected to one of the WiFi networks!

Seriously!?!?  What's that about?

It was a tough call between the iphone 4 and the Nokia N8 even though I've enjoyed my past 3 Nokia mobiles that I've owned.  But now that I've purchased the Nokia N8 I'm having my doubts.  Come on Nokia, I paid $400 for this phone, take a page from Apple and regulate your apps better to ensure they utilize the functionality you've already built into the phone's firmware.

Please use plain text.
cbwhagen

All very familiar to me. It seems i've got a working wificonnection on my N8. But when i set the priority to wifi it still uses my GSM-network for data (internet e.g.) I can't get it right....

Settings are the same as most users in this discussion: under 'Settings': only known WLAN/Automatic/Always ask - and -  Destinations: WLAN set as priority 1. With these, Opera and the native browser fail. Even after re-installing Opera and changing of settings.

Most frustrating is the fact that my previous phone was also an N8, wich I unfortionally lost. On that phone my wlan and N8 worked beatifully together.

Maybe it's the new SIM-card? Or too many updates in a short period (wich messed up the firmware)? I don't know. Anyone a solution?

Please use plain text.
Professor
j444lh

Long shot but try the Battery Out reset, (Hold the Power Button for eight seconds until it buzz's three times)

Mine was trying to make some odd connections after the last PR1.2 update and that fixed it.

N95 (RM159) V31.0.017, N8 (RM596) Belle 111.040.1511
Please use plain text.
Contributor

I have a possible solution to the issues raised in this thread.  My problem with the Nokia N8 was slightly different but this might work to fix the issues described here.

My problem is that when I bought my Nokia N8 it was a branded and locked Vodafone model. I was able to unlock it using an official unlock code obtained from Vodafone.  (Here in Australia the unlock code for the N8 is available for free on Vodafone's website).  Debranding is another matter.  That would require a hack which potentially could brick the phone and my days of taking those sort of risks are over.

So, I have a phone that works fine on Telstra but it has settings for Vodafone that cannot be removed.  I could add the necessary settings for Telstra's 3.5G network and they worked well but despite those settings having a higher priority than the Vodafone access points, some applications always tried the Vodafone access point first.  Almost always they would eventually push on through that and get to the Telstra access point but I always suffered a serious twinge of annoyance seeing the failed Vodafone "growl" at the top of the screen each time.  Worse, Symartic's ExtGPS, which I use to feed the N8's GPS to my iPod Touch, seemed to find the Vodafone issue an obstacle to starting properly.  (Perhaps unsurprising since it seems to be a permanently beta java app).

If I went into Settings>Connectivity>Settings>Destinations>Internet that would present me with a list of access points, two of which were Vodafone access points.  I could add Telstra access points and home WLANs to the list and set those access points to a higher priority than the Vodafone access points.  However, if I tried to delete or rename or edit the Vodafone access points I received a message "Unable to edit protected network destination".  Likewise, back up one level to the list of destinations, trying to delete or rename the destination "Internet" would produce the same message.

The work around that I have so far found very successful is to add a new destination to the list of destinations.  I did this by going to the list of destinations at Settings>Connectivity>Settings>Destinations and then pressing Options>New Destination.  I filled in the destination name with "Telstra Internet" but it could be anything.  I then went back to Settings>Connectivity>Settings>Destinations>Internet and by pressing and holding each access point except the uneditable Vodafone access points until the context menu came up I could then select "Move to other dest." and move each them to the new destination called "Telstra Internet".  Then I went back to Settings>Connectivity>Settings>Destinations and chose Options>Default Connection and chose "Telstra Internet" from the selection list that popped up.  I then started each application that uses the internet (particularly Maps and Opera Mobile) went into their settings and changed the default destination to Telstra Internet.  Then I restarted the phone.  Now, because all of the applications are using a destination that does not contain the evil Vodafone connection, I never get the dreaded failed connection growl.

So, how does this assist with the problem in this thread?  Well, I reckon if you create a destination that only has the WLANs in it and then set your applications to "Always Ask" for the destination they are to use, you will be able to select that destination each time and avoid the Vodafone GPRS gazumping everything else.  It is not the most graceful or elegant of solutions but it seems there may be no other way of stopping the Vodafone access points from rearing their ugly heads.

Sorry if this is a bit long but I hope it helps someone.   (By the way, from my reading around, this solution may not work for branded C Series Symbian ^3 devices because in the destination list you not only cannot edit the destination containing branded access points but you may also not be able to add your own destinations.)

============
Motorola Microtac>Nokia 6110>Nokia 6210>Xda II mini >Mitac Mio A701>Xda II mini>iPhone 8GB >Xda II mini>Nokia E51>HTC Touch Diamond II>Nokia N86>Nokia N8
Please use plain text.
Contributor
marinediscoking

I have the same problem.

My phone connects to my wifi router fine, but when trying to go to a website it still will launch connection to my data network (GSM).

When i set to "wi-fi network only" and then try to connect to the internet i get "conntection failed" and "Web: unable to perform operation". All this while having a wi-fi connection.

This seems to have started happing after the firmware upgrade.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Neverryn

There is another setting you can check.

If you open the native browser, in the bottom left you should see 'options' touch that, then 'settings' and the top is 'access point' this should be set to 'ask when needed' or 'internet'.

Hopefully this will fix your issue. When I updated my phone, vodafone pushed through some updated settings which changed this setting ln my phone to wap. Thankyou vodafone!
Please use plain text.
Contributor
marinediscoking

Thanks Neverryn,

That fixed it for me.
Please use plain text.