Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: N8:- Key pad lock not turning off backlight

Counsellor
Tomboy88
Accepted Solution

N8:- Key pad lock not turning off backlight

My "screen saver" is set to none so as soon as i lock the keypad it should black out (maximum battery)... But at the moment its staying illuminated with the battery draining before my eyes!

Any ideas and could this be linked to my issue of a message stuck in my outbox? Cheers

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
farby

Check..

Menu > Settings and Phone > Display > Light time-out....

--------------------------------------------------​--------------------------------------------------​--------------------------------------------------​--If you find this helpful, pl. hit the White Star in Green Box...

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Tomboy88

already set to its lowest time setting....

Please use plain text.
Advisor

Hi there, I'm also having same problem with you.

But, I notice that it's intermittent.

Common tricks (as also MS Windows workaround)

Just resart your N8, usually it'll fix the problem

And, oh yes,  evertime you start the phone, DON'T do anything! ( do messages, make calls, ames, apps, etc)

Just leave your phone as it's will starting all the services needed.(usually it takes around 5minutes or so)

Make sure all the other front pages(widgets) loading nicely.

If things loaded nicely, then U can play with it.

Hope this helps

gudluck

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Tomboy88

I'm noticing that its intermittent too... But the problem im experiencing with the Outbox holding messages is winding me up :smileysad: lol

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Vortigern666

What backlight?

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
drzuck

I second y0oung. I have also noticed that if I start fiddling around with my phone too soon after starting it, the screensaver will never show.
Please use plain text.
xtradi

me too after i update the phone apps, the phone don't show the usual screen saver
Please use plain text.
Sage
seppuku

Tomboy88 wrote:

My "screen saver" is set to none so as soon as i lock the keypad it should black out (maximum battery)... But at the moment its staying illuminated with the battery draining before my eyes!

The outlined clock display does not draw current worth mentioning. OLED-displays have no backlight, every pixel is individually lit just like the big billboad LED displays.

Since 1610
Please use plain text.
Sage
tribalmasters

I disabled my screensaver too but mine is behaving and I did the update.  Is an app keeping it awake?  Perhaps try a different theme??

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Krish_90

Hey Guys.... I just bought a new N8 and im also experiencing this problem... The solution is just dont use the power saving mode activated when u insert the charger.... This problem arises only after charging the mobile... And the maps app runnin in background also will make the back light to glow always.. Just restart the phone times to make this prob ok. if not solved restart it again.... Important: Dont use the charger while switching off or switching on. I think nokia will look after this bug in its next update... Until that do this guys...... If i find and new solution means ill ping it here.....

Please use plain text.
Contributor
raptor2k7

Can you please expound.  The N8 has an AMOLED screen thus no backlight.  What does your screen show when you say your backlight is still on?

Please use plain text.
amt2010

I bought N8 on 4th Nov. In the beginning every went fine and I was thrilled - except when I started to see power saving function misbehaving. With whatever settings I did, it wouldn't show up (blank screen).

I think the suggestion given by y0ung is excellent. You should restart the phone and keep it for a while (I didn't measure the time though but around 3 mins) and slide the key-lock, the screen goes blank!

Thanks. :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Contributor
seraph_sailing

i had both the problems ...the screen not locking up ...and the message not getting deleted in the outbox ....for the first problem ...Young's suggestion works quite well ....restart the phone ..and give it time to run its services .....for the Second problem ...just delete the conversation of that message in the outbox ....hope this helps tomboy :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Tomboy88

Thanks to everyone for help on this one :smileyhappy:

Restarting the phone and not using Power saving mode seem to fix it, with power saving mode killing the phone :smileysad:

Also as above, conversation delete got rid of deferred messages with a reset using *#7370# used to sort the issue of texts not sending fullstop :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
manojlds

Man, this used to happen in my N73 and now my N8. I installed the maps 3.06 and I think that might be the reason.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
darrenrone

Same problem here, screen stays the same but shows a little key symbol in the top right corner to show the key pad is locked

Please use plain text.
edmong

[ Edited ]

Hi, me too with same problem a week ago when I got my n8, tried and found a way but not sure if it will work on your phone too, me and my wife are using n8 and both works: with the 3 home screen of widget, reserve one of it and remove all contents /widgets, so you will only see the wallpaper then switch off your phone, turn it on again and do not do anything till the screen locked and the clock will appear, or the screen will turn off in power saving mode. For my n8 the contents of widgets are in offline mode but still I'm using the nokia message /push service to receive the email in the home screen. I do not have a chance yet to try if it will work even in online mode. Hope it will help..Good Luck

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
mohitsood

Same problem with me. Its eats away the battery. restarting also doesnot help.

Please use plain text.
gariec11

Thank you to whoever suggested the restart and wait method! Solved my problem!

Please use plain text.