Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

N8:- Key pad lock not turning off backlight

Mauricio

Re: N8:- Key pad lock not turning off backlight

darrenrone wrote:

Same problem here, screen stays the same but shows a little key symbol in the top right corner to show the key pad is locked

Hi this happens because there is a widget or an app synchronizing with the internet.

For instance the Synchronization  with OVI is the one that usually causes it and if it is the cause of the problem you will notice a symbol near the battery icon showing that the synchronization is in progress.

If it is not the Ovi, then it is one widget in one of the homescreens, try going to options and make the widgets go offline and you probably will know that one of them is causing the problem.

You just have to wait the synchronization to be over, or choose another widget with the same functions, but that does not create this problem..

Mauricio

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
wal2000

It may be the widget thing. I have Ovi maps 3.06 etc no problem at all, but my widgets are not in auto update mode. This widget thing is a mess. Don't mess with messy things. try to get everything on your SMS from your provider (including new emails). Don't try automatic syncing. Do them on your own, manually, whenever it takes.

Please use plain text.
Advisor

That's not always the case. I see a lot of people trying to rationalize what the problem is, when it seems like the real problem lies within the coding of the screensaver itself, which is not something that we users can control. It's a problem on Nokia's end, and they're the ones who need to issue a fix for it. Just to prove that point to you, I hard reset my N8, and it still exhibited the same screensaver problem with no restore or anything being done to the phone. Only my microSD card was in the phone.

I've restarted my phone countless times and it doesn't nothing to fix the issue. Even letting it sit for 5 minutes afterwards does nothing. Even holding the power button down for 8 seconds before a restart doesn't do anything. I thought I had it figured out that it needed an 8 second power button hold restart, and then another restart for it to work properly again, but just now it took two restarts after the 8 second power button hold to get my screensaver to come back on finally.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
nik_n8

NOKIA BE SURE TO FIX THIS BUG.........DRAINS BATTERY AND OUR TIME.......REALLY FRUSTRATING...........

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
rebecca1991

hi can anyone help me, after i have locked the key pad the time and date stays a light. and its really annoying (especially when im trying to sleep and its still a light :/). does anyone know how to turn it off or does it stay on permanently and you cant change it

thanks becky

Please use plain text.
Professor
andy3196

[ Edited ]

@rebecca1991

If you mean that you have a big clock when locked (as in attached pic) then yes you can change it easily.

Just press the menu key, then "settings" > "Themes" > "screen saver" > "none" and you'll have a blank screen when locked.

Alternatively, if you want it during the day but not at night, you can activate power saving by tapping on the battery icon on the homescreen, then on the battery icon in the info box that appears, then "activate power saving"

If you want to have power saving activated automatically, there is an app called "Situations" which can change profiles automatically. It's in Ovi Store but I think it's still a beta app. Go to Nokia Beta Labs if you're interested as there is quite a bit of useful information about how it works.

N8-00 pc059C9F6 Belle
808 PureView pc059P6W5
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Edmond

In my case I resolved the problem by desactivating the autostart option of Fring.  So if you have Fring on autostart, desactivate it.

Some other apps on autostart could do the same...  

And yes, it is a Nokia bug that needs to be fixed.  May be Fring could do something on its side too!

Also I recommend when you start the phone, no do mess with it until it is fully operational (all loaded)

Please use plain text.
Advisor

I always had the screen saver enabled for the longest time, specifically the music one because it showed text messages that came in and it was smaller than the big clock. I decided to turn it off completely so no screen saver at all came on, and after a restart everything was fine. The screen shut off exactly like it was supposed to. Haven't had a problem since then. So it may be an issue with the screen saver.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Pawz

The same problem still exists in Nokia 700. It does not react with display switch off if locking too soon after switching on / restarting the phone.
Please use plain text.