Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

N8 - Mass Storage memory in use after going into s...

N8 - Mass Storage memory in use after going into standby and resuming

I have a strange problem which I hope someone can help with. My N8 has PR1.1 installed.

The problem is that the E:Mass Memory is not available for use after the phone goes to sleep and then resumes. When this problem appears, I can see the E:Mass Memory in the file manager, but it does not report the memory size. A message reporting "memory in use" appears when I open E:Mass Memory. No folders are visible. The E: is not visible when connecting the phone by cable to the computer in Ovi Suite mode or Mass Storage mode.

The problem only occurs when the phone goes into standby (auto or manual) and then resumed out of standby. It occurs after a variable amount of time in standby.

To bring the E:Mass Memory back again, I need to reboot the phone at least 2 times.

I have searched numerous forums to see if someone else has experienced something similar and so far this problem seems to be unique.

Would appreciate it if anyone can provide me some guidance or opinions on what could possibly be wrong.

Andrew

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
aspergerguy

Re: N8 - Mass Storage memory in use after going into standby and resuming

Welcome to the forum!

Are you saying that this issue has only arisen after updating to PR1.1 or present with PR1.0 also?

Don't wish to be pessimistic but have seen reports of E:\ mass memory disappearing altogether which is hardware related and hope that your situation does not deteriorate.

Incidentally was PR1.1 an incremental update via SW update on device or have you tried re-installing firmware via OVI Suite > Tools > Software update > Re-install existing - if available?

Happy to have helped forum with a Support Ratio = 42.5

Please use plain text.

Re: N8 - Mass Storage memory in use after going into standby and resuming

Thanks for the welcome.

I am not sure if it was present in PR1.0 as I updated soon after I bought the phone. It was updated through Ovi Suite and have tried re-installing several times. There are no other issues with the phone and it is quick and stable even with full pages of widgets loaded up and online.

The first thing I notice when this problem occurs is that wallpapers disappear as do all my photos, both of which are stored on E:Mass memory.

I have even tried formatting the E:Mass memory from the phone without success.

Presently I am checking whether the screensaver is the cause - has been set on the analogue clock since I have had the phone - and isolating widgets. This problem only occurs when the phone is asleep for some period of time. Sometimes an hour is not enough to trigger the problem but sometimes it occurs within half an hour. Very strange!

I would have thought that if it was a hardware problem it would occur at times other then when the phone is suspended. Sure hope it is not a hardware problem! 

Please use plain text.