Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

N8 - Memory Full @C - "Other Files"

Contributor
Nilesh_N8

N8 - Memory Full @C - "Other Files"

Dear All,

I had my N8 last week.  I'm facing a weird problem of "Memory Full" on C i.e. phone memory.  The usage of phone memory gone to 100%.  The most space (210MB) eaten by "Other files".  I searched for files to be deleted, but found nothing visible.  

I installed Y-Browser, but there too nothing much to delete, except some empty folders in temp, tmp & cache folders.  Deleting these freed some 70KB only.

Now my N8 restricts me from accepting calls, SMS, updating home screens, checking memory, opening web,....  I tried to delete connections (WAP, MMS, GPRS, Internet, WLAN) which too did not permitted.  I even tracked data transfer which is in mere 230KB in past 24 hours.

So in short its becoming to standstill...

How do I know what is going wrong with my phone?  How do I relcaim phone memory?

Is my phone caught up any virus & so troubling me?  Totally clueless...n saddened...

Please help ASAP.

Thanks,

NNJ

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
krisq

Re: N8 - Memory Full @C - "Other Files"

Did you use Dukto?
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Nilesh_N8

No.... Dukto?? What is it?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
krisq

Dukto is an app to copy files over wifi. It has C: drive selected by default that's why I asked. But if you don't know what it is that means you didn't use it and that's not the problem.
I'm at loss here. Don't want to scare you but it looks like you need to reset the device to reclaim memory.
Read both stickies at the top of this forum. And don't forget to make a backup with OVI Suite.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Nilesh_N8

Thanks Krisq, would like wait for more options before reset...

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
krisq

[ Edited ]

Did you enabled 'Show all files' in Y-Browser? Have you checked if there isn't any video stored somewhere on C:? Did you installed any apps to C:? Games can be pretty huge, especially the ones from Gameloft.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Nilesh_N8

No Kirsq, nothing like that.  Y-browser also could'nt do much as there are no files, images, vdo's stored... its just a week old n hence i'm not trying much of it...

One think I could mention is I put widgets (RSS feeds) on screens... update every 4 hrs... thats the only exceptional thing, apart from normal browsing... cleared cache, cookies,...all... Data transfer is also just 250kb in last 24 hrs...

All surprises me... I was having MOTIMING A1200... which somehow I feel is yet much better...

hope this should not carry on....

Please use plain text.
Contributor
sirecram

You can try to clean some browser datas:

1/ in Nokia browser, press Options and should have something like 'clean datas', select all

2/ if you are using Opera also, in the settings you can also clear the cache

I saved about 20 Mo with these 2 operations

Please use plain text.
Sage

Nokia panorama stores it's photos (before stitching it up) in C as well. I have had numerous ocassion where my C will be full after several panorama photos are taken. You might want to check that as well

How do we set for Nokia Panorama to clear the tmp files after closing the application anyway?

Please use plain text.
Contributor

Hi, I have this problem too - and despite extensive internet searching, I cannot find a solution - Nokia's Panorama App stores temp files on the phone's C:/ drive which it then stiches together and saves the stiched file onto the E:/ drive. For some reason, it doesn't then delete and clear the C:/ drive folders '.panorama_thumbs' and '.panoramatmp'. It's not much but I currently have 2MB of C:/ drive space taken up by these tmp files - I can 'see' them in Windows Explorer through the phone browser function of vi Suite but the drive is locked and I can't delete them - and there's no option to clear the tmp files in Panorama itself - please can somebody at Nokia provide an answer to this conundrum because, reading around it, this seems to be a common issue.
Many thanks,

Iain Nash

Please use plain text.
Professor
andy3196

iainnash wrote:

Hi, I have this problem too - and despite extensive internet searching, I cannot find a solution - Nokia's Panorama App stores temp files on the phone's C:/ drive which it then stiches together and saves the stiched file onto the E:/ drive. For some reason, it doesn't then delete and clear the C:/ drive folders '.panorama_thumbs' and '.panoramatmp'. It's not much but I currently have 2MB of C:/ drive space taken up by these tmp files - I can 'see' them in Windows Explorer through the phone browser function of vi Suite but the drive is locked and I can't delete them - and there's no option to clear the tmp files in Panorama itself - please can somebody at Nokia provide an answer to this conundrum because, reading around it, this seems to be a common issue.
Many thanks,

Iain Nash

Use the file manager on your phone, Applications > Office > File Mgr. and long press on the files you want to delete.
N8-00 pc059C9F6 Belle
808 PureView pc059P6W5
Please use plain text.