Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: N8 Music Player updating problems

Counsellor
Moonfly

N8 Music Player updating problems

I cant seem to find any answers concerning my issues so hopefully someone can help.

I can see the music on my phone and the music on my computer in Ovi Suite when my phone is connected to the computer. I cant update the album covers on my phone through OviSuite but can update covers for albums stored on my computer. The problem I have is that I want to sync the computer and phone albums, but there is no function for this. This means I need to copy all my albums from my phone to the computer. I can do that but the problem I have is there is no way I know of to check for duplicates etc. I know there are some, and with 2000 ish tracks fishing them out will be a nightmare. 

Does anyone know of a good way to sync the music tracks between the N8 and the music on my mobile, allowing me to update album covers, and not end up with a load of duplicates.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
adrianhughes

hi mate,

have you tried the app named CoverUp that is available in the Nokia Store on your device? i used that for updating all my album covers on my phone, and it does an excellent job.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Moonfly

Hi,

No Ive not tried that, didnt even know about it. I'm installing it now cheers.

The other issue I have is that I have music on my computer I want on my phone, and I want to back up the music from my phone onto the computer. I can simply copy all the music on my computer to the phone, and vice versa, but I'm worried I will end up with a ton of duplicates and end up having to manually search for them all. 

HDD space is at a premium for me. Is there any way to sync the music libraries of the computer and phone. There is no sync function via ovi suite and I know the stated reasons why from Nokia. Only thing I can think to do is copy all my phones music to the computers Music folder and hope it pops up with a message if it spots duplicates, then hope that would spot all duplicates. Any advice would be appreciated before I go ahead, Ive not done this before with my phone so dont know what behaviour to expect.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Moonfly

I cant find CoverUp, its not showing in the app store, the one I found was some video rubbish. Ah well.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Moonfly

Well I knew this could potentially be problematic, but its worse than I imagined. For some reason all the files form my phone have copied onto the computer into folders for each individual track, labelled by artist, then inside that folder is another folder labelled according to the album it was from, then inside that is the track. Ive got 3000 folders to sort through now and I'm not happy. Ive got to reorganise all the tracks back into their original albums, then find all the duplicates and remove them.

To make things worse, all the music is filed differently in the music folder, in ove suite, and in WMP, so there is no easy way to sort through any of it. Total nightmare. Between this and the constant problems wiht the phone memory filling up, Nokias software department are really poor at their jobs. Ive only ever owned Nokia phones, and the N8 is a fantastic piece of hardware, but Ive had just about enough of this handset now and am seriously considering ending my 15 years with Nokia run. Replacing this handset will be expensive, and I just dont want to pay out all that money and end up with issues that plague this handset.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Moonfly

Well I am at my wits end. The memory full issue is back with a vengence. All my music and photos and videos are off my phone and I have over 20Gb of free space available but the phones memory is completely full and I cant remove anything off it.

So, my music library is totally fubar, the software has no solutions, a full restore from a backup only resulted in more space being filled on the phones internal memory and now its completely full. I have nothing stored on my phone but its basically now unusable, so I am going to have to do a 3rd full hard wipe and reset within a year. 

This phones software is a total mess and Nokia support can only best be explained as completey zero, its like the company doesnt actually exist online. Now I dont know what I should do, this handset needs replacing due to all the bugs (in a 4 year old phone ffs) in the software, but I am really thinking Nokia should give up making phones at this point. This is a total joke!!!

Please use plain text.
Professor
j444lh

Sounds like it's time for a "sping clean" if your browser cache's are empty, you don't have a lot of email and haven't installed any app's on "C".

Make sure you have a full battery and firm USB connection.

Back up any data you haven't all ready taken off.

Make a note of all the apps you want to put back.

Make a note of your access points.

Take the "Delete Data and Restore" option.

Re-install the Firmware using Nokia Suite.

Put back the Apps you want, make sure the Store/Instalation settings are to install on "E" (Mass) memory.

You can Google "Factory Fresh N8" there are more detailed instructions about.

Not sure how you sort out your music files.

BTW we are talking the N8 aren't we? It came out Late 2010 so only 2 and a half years old. 

Also CoverUp is in the Store, I just looked.

N95 (RM159) V31.0.017, N8 (RM596) Belle 111.040.1511
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
adrianhughes

I have had 12GB on my N8 on an external 32GB microSD card, and just copied it onto there using Windows Explorer, then Refreshed the music library. Then ran the CoverUp app using WiFi, and bingo, all album cover worked out for me.

Now, the bad news. According to comment in December 28, 2012 here: http://teknologsapps.wordpress.com/coverup/ the developer has stated that the app no longer works because of an API change with Amazon, so he pulled it from the Nokia Store. not sure if there will be any more updates as Symbian is now in maintenance mode as a platform, and app development for it is starting to die down.
Please use plain text.
Professor
j444lh

That's a pity, wish the store told you the status of installed apps.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Moonfly

I did the spring cleanon the day of my previous post. Removed all music and pictures, and most of the apps. Put a few apps back on and thats it. Kept my email and message inbox empty on a daily basis, and havent put anything else on the phone. 

On the day, I had about 40mb of memory left on C drive, today I'm down to under 10mb again and getting the low memory issues again. Ive not even obother putting anythign on it and have over 20Gb of available space on it, but I still get the memory full problem. Its been barely a couple weeks and my phone is now crashing and giving me system error dialogue boxes. 

This is so frustrating. Im not even using the phone for music and pictures now in an attempt to just make it work, but it just doesnt. All I really use it for it browsing the web, but trying to keep the history clear doesnt even seem to be helping much. Drives me mad. Nokia suite says my memory is running low and click to fix it, I do and it says there is nothign available to delete. Nokia really messed up with this on this phone.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Moonfly

BTW, yes Im on a Nokia N8 running Belle.
Please use plain text.
Professor
j444lh

Did you re-install the firmware?

Are you using Anti-virus software, if so get rid of it, you don't need it with Symbian.

Whats your data usage like?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
adrianhughes

this behaviour sounds really abnormal for a phone mate, i can say i've performed hard resets in the past on my Nokia N8 but haven't had to for such a long while and the extent of low memory issues is concerning.

i have nothing to suggest except to take your phone to your local Nokia Care for inspection, as there may be some deeper damage that noone may be aware of yet: http://nokia.com/support
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Moonfly

Data usage can be pretty high, I use the phone as a modem so it can be as much as 100mb a day. I am sure this has somethign to do with it, but it shouldnt do as it should only be passing data through, not using it.

I did a re-set but did a restore, I am thinking instead of just doing a full factory reset so its a clean phone again, and starting from scratch. I could get my contacts and aimages back on via ovi suite ok, but then I would have to probably re-install belle, and put all my apps back, then re-organise the whole phone again. If it was once then I could handle it, but I dont want to have to do all that only to be back where I am again in another two weeks. So far I am holding back from putting anything on it till I can sort this out.

Something is using the phone memory, and to be honest, if I could access the files to see what, or use the 24 Gb or other available memory I have, there would be no issues at all.

I did use to have NQ mobile security before this latest reset, and to be honest it did a good job of optimising the system. This time I didnt re install it and the problem is as big a pain as ever. Visiting a service centre isnt really an option, I am in Spain and my Spanish is poor, but there are no centres near me I know of either.

Please use plain text.
Professor
j444lh

I'm still suspicious of your applications, something has to be using up the memory unless the memory itself is degrading.

Only way to know for sure is to re-install the firmware which should leave you with about 70mb, depending on your networks bloatware, then monitor it for a few days before adding any apps. back.

Then add the apps one at a time till the problem recurs, if it does.

Make sure your app. install location is set to "E" in both application settings and Nokia Store.

Possibly hold off using it as a modem for a couple of days as well to eliminate that before installing apps.

Haha, love it, this Spell check doesn't recognise Nokia!

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Moonfly

Everything is set to save to E drive already, and Ive stopped using most apps. One app I do use is whats app, but thats set to use E drive too. I had about 30 mb available after the last reset and backup recovery, but like I say, 20mb of that has been used up since and its currently hovering around the 10mb mark.

I'm thinking of just wiping the whole phone and giving it one last go. Seems pretty pathetic that a phone with 20+ Gb plus of free memory is botle necked by the phone using a small 250 mg of internal memory for some operations, and pretty much filling it up from the word go.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Moonfly

Well I am fed up now. I have reset my phone a few times and had to restore it to get all my data back. Nothing seems to solve the memory issues. I have about 30 mb of space after restore and it last for maybe 2 weeks.

There is no option I can find to completely wipe the phone and reinstall belle to begin again. There is about 50 mb of space after the initial reset, but 30 after the restore. I am getting system error messages now too, which are being restored.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Moonfly

The post this afternoon was after another reset and restore. Since then I have deleted more data from my phone, apps I dint use etc, and now, a few hours later, I am down to 9mb of memory left. The only thing I have used the phone for is as a modem, so I can only assume this is where the issue is. Does anyone have any ideas before I crack up. I could try nokia support, but judging by the posts round here it doesnt actually exist?
Please use plain text.