Search Discussions:

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced search
Welcome to our community! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Microsoft mobile devices users around the world in English. Please take a moment to read our community guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others you need to sign in first. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. If you don't have an account yet, please register here.

Re: N8 Nokia Maps: UPDATES & Menu

Counsellor
BBorges

N8 Nokia Maps: UPDATES & Menu

Hi guys,

Recently replaced my E6 with a new N8. It took a while to adjust to the lack of keys, but after 2 weeks i like it a lot. Well, honestly I still miss the keyboard, but I can live with the compromise.

Well, It just happened that today the "SW Updates" recommended updating my Maps software and I took the bait. Well, maybe I am doing something wrong but once I start the program, it goes straigtht to the map screen, instead of the main MENU in which I could select between MAPS, DRIVE, and other services.

It seems now that for me to get the traffic updates i need to actually drive with a destination, as opposed to simply go in the main MENU and choosing DRIVE, which would then open the driving map but it didnt require a destination.

I am currently running v3.08.

could someone please let me know how to get back to the main menu OR how to downgrade back to my previous Maps version, which was the original with the phone. I suspect I should simply remove it and download the previous version?

Any feedback is highly appreciated!

Thanks!

BB

Advisor
dopple916

Briefly press the menu button to bring up the apps list. Scroll down that list and you will come across the " Drive " widget (not Maps). press on that widget and you will get a screen with three buttons and.an option for live traffic rerouting, activate that, then press the third option which says "just drive" .. Once the screen has loaded, press the three bar icon bottom left, the top right button says traffic, press on it, go back to the main screen and you have sat nav with live traffic updates. If you haven't already done so you will also have to adjust your 3g settings. Settings > Application Settings > Map Apps > General > Connection > Online. Hope this helps. (...and I haven't made a mistake)
Mobile Overlord
scoobyman

You are in a sort of "No Man"s Land" here as you should really be using Nokia Maps v3.09 by installing Nokia Maps Suite 2.0:http://store.ovi.com/content/265481

Happy to have helped forum in a small way with a Support Ratio = 37.0

Sage
peterh338

"Briefly press the menu button to bring up the apps list. Scroll down that list and you will come across the " Drive " widget (not Maps). press on that widget and you will get a screen with three buttons and.an option for live traffic rerouting, activate that, then press the third option which says "just drive" .. Once the screen has loaded, press the three bar icon bottom left, the top right button says traffic, press on it, go back to the main screen and you have sat nav with live traffic updates."

A superb tip. I have just noticed this; also the Traffic icon turns blue when Traffic updates are enabled.

This wasn't at all obvious, and is separate from the Maps Improvement under Settings in the Nokia Drive app.

HOWEVER both of these features are a MAJOR battery drain. Maps Improvement has long been implicated in massive reductions in battery life (of the order of several hours from a full charge to nothing, even if the phone not touched) and Traffic is going to do the same while the app is running.

Unfortunately the Maps app is running (in the background) even after you terminate it. This is visible with say Appstop. I have just started up Nokia Drive, played around with Traffic, left Traffic enabled, then exited the app, and found that the WIFI connection was active for some minutes afterwards, which is bizzare. Terminating the Maps process in Appstop killed the WIFI connection within about 20 seconds.

One expects Maps Improvements to be uploading data long after you finished driving (the phone is sending some kind of route report to Nokia) but one doesn't expect the phone to be downloading Traffic data after the app is shut. Yet it seems to happen.

Normally, when running satnav in a car, one would have external power, so none of this matters, but if you don't have that, reckon on making 3-4 hours max. My Nokia 700 made 3 hours, in Germany, where they have fast HSPA networks, so the phone was drawing lots of power doing the "3.5G" data transfers. GPS+HSPA+backlight ON really hammers the batteries.