Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: N8 - PR 1.1 - Any VISIBLE changes ?

Sage
Chefproll

N8 - PR 1.1 - Any VISIBLE changes ?

[ Edited ]

Just installed PR 1.1 (German).

I don't see ANY changes, I don't see ANY improvements - except less processes running in the background.

Still that color gradient problem, still no A2DP volume control via Bluetooth, compass direction still 25 degrees off, compass still not synchronized with the acceleration sensors, still no usable browser, no portrait keyboard, opening folders still takes ages, and so on, and so on.

So does anyone see improvements anywhere ? (Please stick to the topic.)

---

Flagpole: If you've got nothing to say - why do it here ?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
rayhipkiss

I haven't received the update as yet, as my phone is locked to Virgin Mobile in the U.K.

but I'm aware that P.R.1.1 isn't really much of an update at all being as it is less than 7MB

in size.

The real update is promised in P.R.2. which is rumoured to be available in another month or so.

Cheers.

Ray

Please use plain text.
Professor
flagpole

i can't help but think that the hyperbolic language of your post is going to deter anyone from giving you a constructive answer.
There's no dignity in begging for kudos. Do it for the karma.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
rolfsnolf

can't find the other post that fast els i would have quotted it correctly, but was someone who posted. That they rather make the current version bug free before implementing new stuff, bringing more bugs. Anyways he said it better:smileytongue: 

Please use plain text.
Professor
andy3196

Nokia released a change list the other day at http://conversations.nokia.com/2011/02/04/software-update-1-1-for-new-symbian-devices

The new quickoffice seems much faster to me, and is now a full editor rather than just a viewer on my phone.

Additionally there is the landscape dialler.

N8-00 pc059C9F6 Belle
808 PureView pc059P6W5
Please use plain text.
Sage
Chefproll

rolf: Ah, I know what you're referring to - I read that article, too. :smileyhappy:

But till now I did not see any bug corrections; this is why I asked if anyone noticed visible changes. :/

andy: Thank you very much ! - I never used QuickOffice; so of course I did not see any change. :smileyhappy:

I used the landscape dialler before; thanks to some dirty Italian mods. :smileyvery-happy:

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
DP_Ind

A2DP works provided you have the correct Bluetooth instrument. I've used with BH-103 &  BH-214 and it works pretty good.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
vikashvjain

Just Updated here in India ... Cant find any major changes in the update ... hoping for a better one next time to fulfill our expectations which everyone is looking out eagerly for :smileyhappy: :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Contributor

Just installed the update (India), Could not find the 6.4 version of Quick office.. Wonder ehat the problem is..

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

Aragon1 wrote:

Just installed the update (India), Could not find the 6.4 version of Quick office.. Wonder ehat the problem is..

Have a look at this.

/t5/Software-Updates/quick-office-update/td-p/916557

Please use plain text.
Contributor

Thanks a Lot cjlim, it worked.. :-)

Please use plain text.
Sage
Chefproll

DP_Ind wrote:

A2DP works provided you have the correct Bluetooth instrument. I've used with BH-103 &  BH-214 and it works pretty good.

Yes, it DOES work - but you can't control the volume using the N8's volume keys while streaming A2DP; e. g. if using the MP3 player.

Volume control via N8 controls does only work while being in a call - but that's not A2DP streaming. :/

I checked with Jabra BT8040, Jabra Extreme and two Plantronics BT headsets (don't remember the product names): A2DP works and sounds just fine; but no volume control - just on and off.

Please use plain text.
Sage

D'oh!!!

No portrait keyboard!!!!

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
MIPAPO

DIRT, an upgrade for idiotic fans, visible improvements come them alone the nokia employees, to my to understand the management of nokia  alone hear their employees when it doesn't work the telephone, but to us mortal poor have not solved anything of the old problems

Please use plain text.
Advisor
chandannayak

this is just a minor update nothing fancy. btw does anyone find any speed improvements? the phone does seem a bit faster

Please use plain text.
Contributor
tshek

[ Edited ]

:smileysad:My phone has hanged more than 5 times since the update and sometimes there is delay in the touch screen response when I'm trying to open an application.

Please use plain text.
magnamentis

[ Edited ]

Yes it is faster & by far smoother, exactly as indended and announced :-)

1. There were not many visible changes scheduled for this update. It was an update to make the phone work as is but smooth and with less bugs than before, probably this is what they hoped to achieve with all the delays upon release of the N8 in the first place but could not cope with.

2. So far this update is doing exactly what it was intended to do and as announced by nokia and thus there is no reason to complain except for those dreamers who always let their wishes be the father of their expectations  & hopes, rather than announced facts.

3. One common problem in such discussions is also what a device is mainly used ( purchased ) for. Some guys only buy such a device to show off and thus for fancy show-usage, while other really use the key-features like camera, navigation, telephone, email, SMS, music etc. I had the N8 delivered the second day after it's release and can say that there were indeed a few bugs, but albeit the iphone browser is indeed better, the browser works for what makes sense to browse with such a small screen and a few bugs in mail were strange behavior but nevertheless I got my email exactly as scheduled.

The only really annoying bugs were auto-restarts and/or freezes under roaming conditions, probably due to network problems since it happened mostly under poor signal conditions, as well as the auto-restarts during navigating. Since I use various GPS apps I can say that it has to do weather with network connection problems again and/or with gps since it happens while using all kinds of software using gps and Internet connection at the same time.

All other so called bugs and whish lists are individually varying wishes and thus OK, but certainly no reason make such a fuss over and over again.

By the way I'm using simultaneously an iPhone as well as an N97 and thus can say that the reasons I bought the N8 for, camera, multitasking, offline Navi & pricing, are fully met by the device & I recommended it to everybody who asked me what to buy.

If the N8 would sync photos with iPhoto, including albums etc. I wouldn't even need the iphone anymore but since I have multiple domiciles and thus need several phones for each country, it does not really matter in my case. Whoever has to choose one single device I prefer the n8

over the iPhone by lengths.

This is about what comes into my minde while reading all the boys talk. Like kiddies in a store insisting for an ice cream while mama's valet does not allow for it :-)

Please use plain text.
Professor
babis3g

Guys do't know about the bluetooth or simply programs but if phone still slow after the update or any update ... the phone may have some extra programs running in the background

example
i had f-secure phone was asking insert sim card all the time(i delete it no problems)
i had widget yellow.com the phone was rebboting(i delete not problem after)

i had 2 programs like task manager one i buy and one free to monitor the phone and an extra end key which i buy again and phone was delaying to open apps , because all was running in the back ground
i delete all even i paid for them phone runs fast

also any kind of antivirus affect the memory phone because it runs in the back ground

i also had programs like internet connection checker too many programs for block calls (4 of them) and many other stuff, what ever i find around from ovi or other places i was installed them very easy and never use them

now all are out , i just keep 4-5 basics and phone runs very good now again
thanks

i hope some will help this bacause i had to much in the phone and was slow
Please use plain text.
Sage
Chefproll

magnamentis: I agree with big parts of your poem, but not with everything.

If an update got announced for correcting a lot of bugs and for raising overall speed, it should correct a lot of bugs and raise overall speed.

So far, it didn't. Almost all bugs known for months (like compass misleading, no BT A2DP volume control, messing up songs in the MP3 player, display showing violet instead of grey - for just naming a few affecting the core use of the N8) are still there, new ones (like that ugly 2 bit colors bug with the player screensaver) got introduced.

So that update might do as intended - but obviously not as announced.

Please use plain text.
Sage

Well having used my phone for a day with the update I'm goign to say I thik its a really nice update.

I wanted my phone to be a bit slicky and not lag so much and that's exactly what has happened for me.

Good work Nokia.

Please use plain text.