Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

N8: Phone Start-up failed. Contact the Retailer.

bansimody

Re: N8: Phone Start-up failed. Contact the Retailer.

I had similar problem.I went to Nokia service centre.In 2 hrs they returned repaired. I was informed it was a virus problem.
Bansi. India
Please use plain text.
Professor
Mike_Myers_N8

To John Tesla - if someone follows the <reset> procedure you posted, what is on the phone when it completes?

If you start out with a N8 running the original software, or Anna, or Belle, do you always end up with the same thing?  From what you said, apparently it is not Belle. 

Is this a reasonable way to un-install Belle, for those of us who want to do so?

---------------------------

Also, regarding the "Phone Start-Up failed..." question, I un-installed the SPB Data Monitor, as well as any applications I didn't think I needed, and the problem went away.  I suspect it was the SPB program that was causing the error, as somehow I had to remove it twice to finally get rid of it.

I'd like to re-install it, just to see what happens, but there's a part of me telling myself to "quit while I'm ahead".  Since you probably have factory provided N8 devices to practice on, maybe you can do this yourself, and let us know if the SPB program is harmful to the phone, when installed after the N8 update.

Please use plain text.
Christy_Sith

my phone works with hard reset now. as mentioned, the maps and the store were missing. now on process of re-updating.............

Please use plain text.
Christy_Sith

my phone is back to normal as new as i updated to belle earlier

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
fastlemon

I have an N8 and this "Phone start-up failed. Contact the retailer." message started appearing. On other occasions, the message "System Error" appeared. First, the phone was sent back to my retailer for repair. They upgraded the software to Belle and sent the phone back. The same problems continued so I contacted Nokia direct and sent the phone to them for repair. It came back and within less than a week, the same problems re-appeared. The phone went back to my retailer and this time they sent back a brand-new N8. I picked it up this morning and guess what? Two hours later after attempting to restart the phone, I got the "Phone start-up failed. Contact the retailer." message.

Frankly, the N8 is a true piece of junk and I'll NEVER get another Nokia.

The other major gripe with it is the Calendar function. It's just the slowest thing on any phone, ever!!! Again this morning, after restoring my calendar events from the Nokia Suite (from an earlier back-up), on to the brand new phone, to simply delete 11 past-dated events took me a truly staggering 24 minutes and 31 seconds!!! Now that's SLOW!!!

That tells me that this phone is wholly not fit for purpose. 

:smileymad:

Please use plain text.