Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

N8 Phone memory Full

Advisor
johfyer

N8 Phone memory Full

Hi,

I get the Message "Phone memory Full".

Inverstigation:

- File Manager states in details: 50MB SIS-programms and 192MB Other files

- i search through every folder on C: using X-plore (Option "Show Hidden files" is enabled)

-> I can find files with a total of not more than about 12MB on C:

- i dont use E-Mail at all

- Programm Manager -> Installationfiles  is empty

How can i find and delete or move the files on Phone memory C:  ??

Thanks

Please use plain text.
Ex-Moderator (Retired)
Sheldrick

Re: N8 Phone memory Full

Hey Johfyer, Welcome to the Nokia Forums!

Clear up some extra memory in your phone by clearing your cache memory.

Go to the Web application and select Options > Clear privacy data > Cache.

A cache is a memory location that is used to store data temporarily.

If you have tried to access or have accessed confidential information requiring passwords, empty the cache after each use.

The information or services you have accessed are stored in the cache memory of the device. Hopefully this will clear enough memory for you!

I hope this helps, Let me know if this resolves your problem or if you need more help!

Sheldrick

Press the 'Accept As Solution' icon if I have solved your problem, Kudos my post if my advice has helped you!
Please use plain text.
Advisor
johfyer

Forgot to mention that - i had allready done this (using NokiaBrowser / 7.3.1.37)

Any other idea ?

Please use plain text.
Ex-Moderator (Retired)
Sheldrick

[ Edited ]

Unfortunately there is a known issue with Ovi Maps (version 3.04) on the N8.

Ovi Maps will use the device's C: drive as location to store data (map data) if the memory card is not there or full.

The biggest problem is that in case of Maps there is no way to delete any of the map data or voice files on C: Drive because they are stored under private folders which can’t be accessed by end users.

Create a full backup of your device using Nokia suite (this is an insurance as if you restore from this back up after a hard reset the problem would persist).

You will have to go onto your phone, and using file manager extract the files that you wish to keep after the reset,  place them in a backup folder that you have created.

Perform a Hard reset on your phone by pressing *#7370# and using the security code of 123435 (if prompted and if you have not set your own personal security code).

Put back all your data from the back up folder that you have manually created, and hopefully this should fix your issue.

If your issue still persists, you need to go to a Nokia Care Point to get the device Factory resetted. This will of course cause a loss of personal data, too, so a back up is heavily recommended before flashing the device in Care Points.

Of course, the issue has been fixed in all coming Maps builds. Users who have a Maps version later than 3.04 10wk34_b03 are not affected by this problem.

I hope you manage to fix this problem, please get back to me as to whether the troubleshoot has worked or not!

Sheldrick

Press the 'Accept As Solution' icon if I have solved your problem, Kudos my post if my advice has helped you!
Please use plain text.
Advisor
johfyer

Hi

thanks for the quick answer - sounds bad.

What exactly should i manually backup ?

I checked my OVI - Maps:

Version installed is v3.06 11wk10 b01

Is this one also affected ?

Best Regards

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
rayhipkiss

How may text messages (counting the inbox and outbox) do you have? A high number of texts will use up C: memory.

Ray 

Please use plain text.
Ex-Moderator (Retired)
Sheldrick

How old is your N8? did you originally use 3.06 or have you updated it since you received the phone?

If you originally had 3.04 and updated to 3.06 the location of the maps files have probably stayed in the C drive.

Sheldrick

Please use plain text.
Advisor
johfyer

[ Edited ]

I deleted all Messages - did not help.

Yes., version 3.04 of maps had been installed before.

I ended up in that less Phone Memory that it was not possible to connect to the PC anymore - so i had to do a hard reset and lost all data!!

After reboot and install of the Updates (nokia suite, anna stuff, etc.) it runs again now

- BUT:

I checked Phone Memory using Filemanager it again states  67MB SIS-Programms and 93MB Other Files !!!  I can not find any of them even then using X-plore !!

How can i get rid of this ?

Thanks for any help...

PS: I downloaded one additional map with 66MB - Phone Memory did not change.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
no1_slumko

How much free memory do you have on C? If it's anything less than 90mb I suggest you move anything and everything that you can to maps memory. Whenever given the option install to maps memory instead of C memory. Uninstall anything that you're able to reinstall to the maps memory and also move them there. I've noticed i start getting low memory messages when my memory hits 95mb and out of memory when it's just over 80 mb.
Based on my observations the ideal is to always have a minimum of 100mb free on your C memory
Show your appreciation. Hit that kudos button real hard
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
carman58

To get the maximum space available on your phone try a reset , lot of hard work, but will resolve your issue !

Back up your Contacts, Calendar and Notes ONLY !! A full backup and restore will simplty  re-install the conflict you need to remove, your phone will be wiped and you will need to set up from scratch as though you'd just got a new handset !

Turn phone to offline, then dial *#7370# followed by 12345 if required, the phone will restart and ask you to set time and date etc. Then connect to the latest Nokia Suite http://europe.nokia.com/support/product-support/nokia-ovi-suite/compatibility-and-download  on your PC and check for software updates, if you have the latest Anna use the option to re-install. After re-installing Anna, set up the phone and install all your apps and put any media you want on the phone ! Also update your maps to 3.08 from the nokia store and use Nokia suite to add any map data you need.

Good Luck

If I have helped at all, a click on the White Star is always appreciated :

you can also help others by marking 'accept as solution:smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Sage
SR_N8

Hallo carman! Your solution is OK for extreme cases but I just updated to belle and hard reset N8 completely. In less than 2 month time C drive is full :smileysad: Reset every month and reinstalling the apps is not a good solution anymore... Nokia should think abt extending C drive space on account of Mass Storage driver. Maps, Mail, all messaging and similar should be moved to new drive reserved at Mass Storage - this is the only solution but it is is hands of Nokia. Hope they understand it sooner than later and provide same in next update.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
rick_faulkner

Hello,

I have the same issue of the N8 phone memory being full.

On Nokia suite on my PC is shows 5M free and 254M used.

I have done the usual of removing texts, photo's and images so its old unused data and/or operating system updates filling the drive?

1. How do i clear the Cashe by using Nokia Suite on my PC or from the phone?
  2. Is there any other way of removing the old MAP data other than a hard reset? (I assume i ran 3.06 at some point)
Please use plain text.
Contributor
nick4ubuddy

after re-install belle remain 122 mb memory so he should down less than 50 mb .... first hard format you phone ............. i try and i got 242 mb memory after nokia ovi store installion problem .. so tell me i provide store ........ and your phone working good ....... with lots of memory ......... nokia service centre not solve these problem too ...........contact me ...... 9696336636

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
rick_faulkner

Sorry, I really dont understand your reply.

For you Belle took up 122meg of memory, but should only take up 50meg?

you re-formatted your phone and got 242meg - was that free or used memory?

Nokia service centre did not solve your problem.

Do you still have no memory or is your N8 now OK?

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
rick_faulkner

I just did a Hard Reset.
Free memory still only 47Meg of 254Meg. only 18% free!
HELP!
Please use plain text.
7up1974

[ Edited ]

I too has the same problem with my N8. I noticed that all the applications were installed in C drive even though my setting is to install in E. I think this is Belle software problem which nokia needs to look into. If not N8 totally cannot use. Really frustrated on Nokia..............

Nokia.... Please find a solution for this problem.

I want to go for Lumia 920 but now I doubt this kind of problems with nokia phones (N8 totally cannot use now).

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
rick_faulkner

In reality all phones have this type of problem perhaps. The Lumina has a 1Gig internal memory, so 4 times as big, but I also still fear problems.

I am away in Ireland this week and my e-mail gets full very quickly - e-mails have to download to phone and not mass memory....

But I thing the real problem is the installation and update files that remain hidden and just clog up the phone...

Does anybody have comments or assistance on this?

Please use plain text.