Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

N8 - Photo rotation.

Counsellor

N8 - Photo rotation.

I'm getting confused about how to do this.

What I would like ideally is that when I take a picture, the file that's saved is auto rotated so that when I import it onto my PC it's showing correctly, but when I view photos on my phone they're not rotated so they fill up the screen. I'm happy to rotate my phone in my hand, but this is not so easy with my laptop! I've played around with the rotate settings in the camera & in the sensor settings. It strikes me that the photo viewer perhaps needs its own setting. I want the sensor setting enabled because that affects everything.

Nokia N8 on Belle
Please use plain text.
Professor
flagpole

Re: N8 - Photo rotation.

it's not completely clear to me what you mean.

if the rotation settings are enabled in the camera the pictures should be the right way up in both the gallery and on your computer. in the sense that it can detect portrait or landscape. probably not upside down.

the only time it doesn't work so well is if the camera is basically pointing downwards. then you have to encourage it by holding the phone the right way before you point down.
There's no dignity in begging for kudos. Do it for the karma.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Sorted it hanks, went through all combinations & will just leave both on. Some other combinations can give strange results, like the photo being permanently rotated to the left, which is what threw me off to start with

Nokia N8 on Belle
Please use plain text.
paulalvin

what did you do? i upgraded to belle then my camera is not rotating anymore. its stuck in the left rotation.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
adrianhughes

hi mate,

have you checked if there are any firmware updates available for your device via Nokia Suite? if there are any, please update to the latest version offered. if there aren't any, then try re-installing your current firmware thru Nokia Suite. failing that, perform a three-finger hard reset, but backup all your personal data to PC and/or online storage first.

Failing all of above, you will need to take your phone to your local Nokia Care for inspection: http://nokia.com/support
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
aspergerguy

adrianhughes wrote:
perform a three-finger hard reset, but backup all your personal data to PC and/or online storage first.

Really a last resort as precursor to returning device to Nokia Care facility, because in addition to deleting user data from both C:\ and E:\ plus wallpapers & media pre-installed it removes some essential files possibly precluding Nokia Store & Maps from functioning correctly!

Happy to have helped forum with a Support Ratio = 42.5

Please use plain text.
Professor
j444lh

Yes, I'd stay away from the 3 fingered salute unless you have a Nokia Care near by.

Steve on All About Symbian posted an article on re-setting but it's not for the faint hearted.

Amazing we are being allowed to discus doing it, must be a sign of the times.

I'd do a Factory Setting "Delete and Restore" then restore the firmware using Nokia Suite as if it happened when you updated it would indicate that's where the problem lies.

Back up data only as you don't want to restore your settings after the update.

N95 (RM159) V31.0.017, N8 (RM596) Belle 111.040.1511
Please use plain text.