Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

N8 - Ram memory

Counsellor
yellow_fto

N8 - Ram memory

Ive got a problem with the Ram Memory on my Nokia N8.

When i switch the phone on i have 115mb free and 131 used, this is fine and the phone works quite quickly.

However over the next few days i lose about 20 to 25mb a day resulting in less than 50mb free after only a few days which makes the phone very slow and not responsive.

I use the phone for the same things every day, calls, texts, emails, playing videos / music, taking photos and a bit of internet surfing. After closing an app the free memory goes back up but obviously something is happening to use the memory and not give it back!!!!

Id like to know what is using this memory and is there anything i can do to stop it other than switching the phone off and back on every day??

I have no such problems with my 808 so im well confused as to what is happening!

Please use plain text.
Sage
wezzyd

Re: N8 - Ram memory

there is a program i use called app stop which you can get from nokia store. this stops apps running in the background.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
yellow_fto

Yeah ive got that app already, the only running apps are the few that should be running!

Do you think its maybe because im still using Anna? I havent updated to Belle as a few apps i use are not available on Belle for some reason :smileysad:

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
adrianhughes

Perhaps it is Anna. It is always recommended that one updates to the latest version of firmware, as it brings reliability, performance and functional improvements. Belle and Belle Refresh greatly increase the performance and stability of the phone and make it much prettier. I'm sure that if you update, the RAM problem will go away.

But the downside to firmware updates, as you have also stated,is that some of your old apps may not work, as compatibility is not guaranteed. In these cases, you will need to contact the app developer themselves to ascertain the status of the app and its compatibility.

In conclusion, the choice is up to you. I have Belle Refresh on my N8, and i'd take that any day over losing compatibility with some apps.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
adrianhughes

its not pointless if you discover that they do have a Belle version available or in the pipeline.

After all, you do have the 808 to perform for other tasks, so that is something good to take away from it.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Please use plain text.