Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

N8 SMS Notification, no sound or vib...

Contributor
Anjelfew

N8 SMS Notification, no sound or vib...

Ok so i got my N8 on wednesday of this week, everything seemed to be working great no bugs etc untill i'm not sure what happened but i started using the Nokia notifications widget. Now when i recieve a text there is no sound or vib. I have gone through my profiles, i have restarted my phone several times holding down the power button for 10 secs. All other sound works great like when i recieve a phone call. I dunno what to do i am running out of ideas. When i remove the notifications widget i don't get any notifications at all besides the breathing light on the button to tell me i recieved a text, its really becoming frustrating. Any help would be appreciated.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Nyn10

Re: N8 SMS Notification, no sound or vib...

Same here, but I have the nokia n97. It started a few days ago. Please help...

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
farby

If there is a very high no. of messages stored in the Messagng Folder ( Include all the sub folders..) delete as many as you can... and check..

--------------------------------------------------​--------------------------------------------------​--------------------------------------------------​--If you find this helpful, pl. hit the White Star in Green Box...

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Anjelfew

I have absolutely no idea what i did, but its been fixed now on my phone. I don't get it seeing as nothing has changed, but for some reason i am getting vib and sound when i receive an SMS....so odd.

Please use plain text.
BlueZephyr

Had the same problem with my N8. But I just switched it off and then on again and it worked.

If that doesn't work you try to reset your phone to the factory default settings

Please use plain text.
Sage
lanita

Anjelfew wrote:

Ok so i got my N8 on wednesday of this week, everything seemed to be working great no bugs etc untill i'm not sure what happened but i started using the Nokia notifications widget. Now when i recieve a text there is no sound or vib. I have gone through my profiles, i have restarted my phone several times holding down the power button for 10 secs. All other sound works great like when i recieve a phone call. I dunno what to do i am running out of ideas. When i remove the notifications widget i don't get any notifications at all besides the breathing light on the button to tell me i recieved a text, its really becoming frustrating. Any help would be appreciated.

Do you by any chance have the Power Saving Settings activated?

When these settings are ON, the phone does not vibrate or use warning sounds...

If you found this post helpful, please click the green button. Thanks!
Please use plain text.
Registered Member

I believe this is (yet another) bug in the N8's firmware.  I won't get any notifications for ages, then if I switch the phone off and back on, all of a sudden there's lots of unread messages I wasn't aware of.

This along with the MMS bugs is a bit of a poor show from Nokia considering this is supposed to be their flagship phone.  The last 3 phones I have purchased from Nokia have had problematic firmware which it seems to take Nokia ages to sort.  I'll be considering another manufacturer for my next phone purchase.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
spusibrk

Same here with my N8 in USA. No sound or vibrations for sms,mms, email,pluging charger or turning phone on.It goes back to normal for couple of days after turning phone off and on. Have same problem with E72. After firmare update phone was freezing then did hard reset with *#7370# and frizzing was fixed but notifications for messages problem started. Nokia starting to suck big time since they start making them in China. I am so used to them i will have hard time switching to iphone or android!

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
spusibrk

I have N8 and E72. Have same problem with both devices. N8 started doing it after 2 weeks of use and E72 after firmware software update. E72 was frizing after update so I did hard reset *#7370#.That took care of freezing but now I have same problem like N8. All messsages go to inbox with no notificatios(sounds,vibrations or lights)and no sounds when turning phone on or pluging in charger, after turning phones off and on goes to normal for couple of days. Nokia needs to fix this bug in future firmware updates!!!

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
johneveli

Same for me, but its when i have got an mms (no notification for the either), then the sound disappears and doesn´t come back until i have restarted the N8

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Anjelfew wrote:

Goto setting>Tone profile>Normal>message alert tone>tone> choose the Message alert tone you like by just touching it once, wait and make sure you hear it> then select. Then activate Normal profile from tone profile menu. Test to see if you get sound when you recieve a sms. It should work

Make sure there are no software installed that controls the Voicemail or SMS, etc. Those canm also interfer with the phone function. Power saving mode will not disable the sound.

If you find my post useful please hit the star to the left of this posting, Thanks

Please use plain text.
Contributor
vangpap

Same problem here and not resolved yet by any new updates...

Notification widget stops working randomly....

Furthemore...when removing the widget from all screens, the older ( before activating the widget for the first time) pop up notifications, do not return...not even after reset....

Hello Niokia pople...missed messages notification is ESSENCIAL part of decent phone operation!!

Please fix it.

Please use plain text.
vaibhavverma31

i have e72 and facing same problem of no sms notification for  last 2-3 months , earlier i have n73 and same problem was there also.

do we have any soluition for it.

Please use plain text.
vaibhavverma31

problem not solved by the same , pls suggest any other method
Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
krisq

It looks like some conflicting app is doing this.
Please use plain text.
alejandrocao

:smileyhappy: I finally managed to fix the problem, now I have sound and vibration of the text messages.

The only thing I did was switch the phone off, remove the SIM, turn on the phone (offline mode), back off, insert the SIM and turn on the phone.

Could try and answer if it solves the problem?

The other thing I did was go into

Messages -> Options -> SIM messages

Messages -> Options -> Operator messages,

but can not do anything in those menus.

I hope they serve.

Regards,
Alejandro

Please use plain text.
Lara21

Manymanymany thx Alejandro!!!
It solved the problem 4 me (SIM remove) :smileyhappy:

Cheers

Lara

Please use plain text.
iDad

SIM remove made it! Thnx mate, I´ll buy you a beer :smileyhappy:
Nokia could not help me but you did!
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
apachiee

Hi,

I was facing the same issue but then I realized at what time the trouble, sms notification was working fine, until i recieved 5-6 miss call alerts, 3-4 late messages, when i was in a remote area, i recieved almost 12-13 messages at once, before that i had almost more than 2300 messages in my inbox, 250 messages in sent items & plus almost 500 conversation messages, i figured out that sms notification is due to the messages, so what i did...

1. made the backup copy of messages through nokia OVI Suite.

2. Deleted all the messages even in draft folder.

3. Restarted the phone by holding the power button for 10 sec.

4. After getting the sms notification working for me (sound + vibaration + envelope etc.)

5. Restored the messages from backup file which i have created through OVI suite.

It works like a charm for me ..  :smileyhappy:

I hope this will help.. all the nokia N8 & N97 users ...

take care. :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
kirsty1811

Hi,

I searched all of these threads and tried everything suggested and nothing worked. I even called T-Mobile and after the lasy telling my to take my battery out (of an N*?!?!?!) etc she put the phone down on me.

I was complaining to my good old mum about it and she said she had the same problem. She suggested me deleting some messages from my conversations - so I deleted all the unimportant people and as if by magic I now get notifications :-)

Please use plain text.