Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

[N8/Symbian^3] Suggestions for future software upd...

Registered Member
mike777ro

Re: [N8/Symbian^3] Suggestions for future software updates

i have to say that i really miss the way you could answer a call on my old 5800. maybe it can be done here on n8 once again? (since on 5800 came only in update  50.... something )

and i would like (pretty please !!) some sort of an option in the screensaver's settings that would allow to use the phone as a nightwatch. a lanscape oriented screensaver

and....yes.. qwerty in portrait mode (it really works, as opera10.1 has it)

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
mike777ro

9. and 10, there were on 5800xm :smileyhappy:
internet radio came as an app from ovi, guess it's not ready yet for n8
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
mike777ro

5800 xm's music player was the best of his time, i wonder though why they didn't leave it at that. n8 lacks editable presets.

Please use plain text.
nescorp2000

1. Camera UI needs to remember last settings after exiting and re-entering application.

2. Camera needs metering mode, touch focus, adjustable noise reduction, and more feature   shortcuts on main screen.

3. FM Transmitter needs faster frequency navigation. We should be able to search frequencies up or down rather than entering one at a time.

4. Calendar needs timed reminders to notify us of an appointment at any point before due date.

5. Music player needs folder play option

6. More homescreens would be nice

7. Phonebook seems to keep duplicating contacts. Please solve.

8. Manual editable EQ settings

9. Better text input

10. Music player volume sometimes fluctuates on its own. Please solve

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Vicnep

A couple of things:

1) For the Contacts, I had the ability to "Edit Detail" for each data under one contact so that I can rename each contact information based on my preference vs. leaving the information with the title of "Mobile Number (Home)", "Phone Number (Office)", etc etc. I suggest the upgrade include those capabilities for the contacts.

2) Read some of the blogs/forums on the Skype website for N8/Symbian 3. Good feedback especially on video calling capabilities.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Vicnep

A couple of things:

1) For the Contacts, I previously had the ability in my N96 to "Edit Detail" for each data under one contact so that I can rename each contact information based on my preference vs. leaving the information with the title of "Mobile Number (Home)", "Phone Number (Office)", etc etc. I suggest the upgrade include those capabilities for the contacts.

2) Read some of the blogs/forums on the Skype website for N8/Symbian 3. Good feedback especially on video calling capabilities.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Vicnep

+ I suggest to have allow the widgets page for the calendar reminders to show more than 3 lines. In the N96, It showed 5-7 lines on the home screen.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
tranz789

Display Orientation : Not sure if this is mentioned before, but i do not see a setting to turn off the auto-rotation of the display. This becomes irritating when you are on a bumpy road , the display changes orientation because of the vehicle swaying from side to side.

Another disadvantage is when you are sleeping. You an see the N95 display in portrait even when sideways without lifting your head off the pillow, but the N8 forces me to twist my head or read sideways to understand the display.

Whatever happened to Quailty control at Nokia ?

Lumia 800 : N8 Black : E72 Black : E61 : N95
Please use plain text.
Contributor
brhooma

I guess the phone needs:

- a decent vpn client (like the one in the iPhone)

- the ability to mark several files by swiping over them (or some sort of multi-touching way)

- text input should improved ( I still can't understand why it needs two steps to enter text)

- the ability to set the default screen orientation.

- internet radio

- the screen can rotate 360`

- BT/WiFi idle auto turn-off (or pre-defined period)

- Msgs/Missed calls/E-mails indicators on the screen saver (currently they are displayed only when you choose "Music" as a screen saver)

- the phone uses two Video Players, is it possible to make them one ?.

- "Add to now playing" function, I have 500+ tracks, so it is a bit hard to create a playlist every time I want to listen to 10-12 tracks, because i'll end up with 10000+ playlists.

- Is it possible to import Visualizations from WMP or Winamp ?.

- support for animated backgrounds (GIFs or Flash).

- when playing Music on the phone through  my home network, I can't skip through the track or fast forward it.

- Contacts should have more integration with IM services (as in Maemo).

I know some of my suggestions are not that needed but I think they will be nice additions to my favorite OS. 

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
carrbon

1. The FM transmitter -widget should have an ability to turn the transmitter on / off directly from the widget.

At this moment, it only acts as a widget-sized shortcut. Due to this, it now takes 5-10 seconds to turn on the transmitter and put the music on play. If the widget itself would have the on / off -switch, the same job would be done in seconds.

2. Again with the FM transmitter. I have a Nokia BT headset (BH-109) and the co-operation of these two is just horrible. When I'm driving in my car, have the music player playing music via the FM transmitter through my car's speakers and the headset connected via bluetooth and someone calls me, I can't speak with him/her at all, since, apparently, the phone does the following:

- FM transmitter puts the voice of the caller through my car's speakers making me hearing him/her much more difficult

- The phone doesn't take my voice, not through it's own microphone nor through the headset, making it impossible for the caller to hear me

This obviously can be bypassed with a lot of extra work when calling to someone (turning of the music, turning off the transmitter, then calling and after the call putting the music back on as well as the transmitter) but as explained above, doesn't work at all with incoming calls.

What I suggest to Nokia for future software updates, is that the FM transmitter should go automatically and instantly to idle when either I call to someone or someone calls me. This way I could utilize my BT headset in the car as well. This already happens with the music player itself. Just add the same feature to the FM transmitter.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
carrbon

[ Edited ]

@tranz789: wow, you really haven't searched it from the settings at all.

go to settings > phone > sensor settings > turning control

Please use plain text.
Contributor
blazingfury09

An option to use android instead...Symbian 3 still feels like an outdated mess.

Though since we are going to be stuck with it:

-Make it so that when we turn wi-fi off it stays off no matter what. 

- Update the terrible browser. I mean come on, it cannot even load sky sports news. 

- Make it more custimizable. 

-Give an option to close the program fully when you exit. Having to open the multi-tasking all the time and closing that way is a pain. 

-Option to use a full qwerty with the phone in a normal posistion without having to turn it. Everything else manages to fit it on perfectly fine. Why do Nokia give us the old outdated rubbish one that takes ages to send a simple text?

-An option to turn the display off entirely when not in use without turning it off. The screensaver being on all the time just to display a clock is a waste of power. 

-Support for animated wallapers. 

-GOOD social networks widgets. 

Please use plain text.
Sage
Symbian_fan

blazingfury09 wrote:

An option to use android instead...Symbian 3 still feels like an outdated mess.

-Give an option to close the program fully when you exit. Having to open the multi-tasking all the time and closing that way is a pain. 

-An option to turn the display off entirely when not in use without turning it off. The screensaver being on all the time just to display a clock is a waste of power. 

When In an app - Option - exit will do it. Its there in Symbian for a long time. No need to go to Multitasking menu to close an app

Settings- themes - screen server -none, you are done, no more screen servers. 

Cheers 

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
terraaus

When exiting features in the phone, such as MENU and MUSIC PLAYER they still remain open unless you exit the program properly. This causes the phone to lag unless you check top see which applications are running (and then stopping them).  I find this annoying and apps that are closed should be closed properly.  

Another thing is the lag that sometimes occurs within the phone.  This software has evolved over the past 8 years and it still manages to lag every now and again, i think it needs tweaking to make it more responsive.

The next thing is the browser (which is getting updated soon) i think, but apart from this i think the OS is actually not too bad, it seems reliable and the features that are available by default are excellent.  Drag and drop has always been appealling to me and the fact that it plays just about everything i throw on it is awsome.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
martin850

I have totally the same opinion as you about rotating the display, tranz789.

I want to disable it (option is there) but then I cannot browse photos landscape. I need to add some button ,,full screen" when browsing something. On N95 it was sliding the phone to the other side - I was absolutely satisfied with it.

and what is more, they should add some setting to make phone more customizable like N95 was. For example I need to set wifi power like on N95.

Another thing what I miss here, is to choose connection method before each connection like on N95. This phone dont asks me what to use, it just use connection with highest priority set.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
manubharath

I would like to have an option to move a particular conversation to a folder.. It Will be great if we can mark multiple conversations..marking multiple messages in the inbox is painful.. Need better options to mark..
Please use plain text.
Sage
another_rob

Here's a few things I've noted - some previously said, others not. Plenty of gripes, but there's also plenty right with the phone as well!

1. Phone alarms - when changing time zones, option to keep time as is, or change it based on the time zone.  currently it changes it based on a time zone, so you can have a 1pm alarm that ends up going off at 3am in the morning for the time zone you've gone to, as opposed to keeping at 1pm.
  2. calendar - be able to add birthdays, not just anniversarys.  link birthday entries to contacts, and import birthdays from FB.
  3. Photos: home screen of app as folders All, Albums and Tags - give option to add more shortcuts to this screen.
  4. Ability to add folders in 'Photos' that is private, so it won't appear when you view 'All'.
  5. Call log - always clearing itself due to apps that keep making brief network connections - overflows and clears log - highly annoying! means at most I might manage 1 day kept in my call log.  Also, there's **bleep** all info in the call log! Add more details.
  6. Conversations: Fix the bug with mms that causes it to freeze and not update with new texts. And for MMS, any sent does send, but keeps a 'deferred' message in my outbox that cannot be deleted until it expires.  It also has a habit of stopping displaying the notification message on my homescreen sometimes (mainly when there's MMS messages that I can't get rid of). Means I often don't realise I have a new message unless I always check the standby screen when my phone is locked.
  7. Reduce the number of unnecessary pop-up info windows!
  8. Text entry - have predictive available everywhere
  9. General menu layout - exit always at bottom of list...below list is a 'cancel' button on the right, the left side could surely have an 'exit' button added?
  10. Improved camera UI. ability to create own settings, as well as selecting the defaults. make menu responsive to portrait/landscape - only shows in landscape mode.
  11. Calendar: ability to change 'defaults' - i.e. have default alarm time at event, rather than 15mins before.
  12. QWERTY in portrait will be welcomed, but keep the other keyboard as an available setting as well!
Please use plain text.
Sage
another_rob

Oh, and improve the file manager! USB-OTG is a great feature, but the file manager is woefully **bleep** for really being able to do much with it. Needs more features - should be more like a PC for how it works. Option to move or copy (not just copy), mark multiple files/folders for batch moves/copies. When the file manager is open, remember the previous folder you navigated to save to - having to renavigate each time is a real pain!
Please use plain text.
Advisor
LE55ONS

I would like to see the option to have a text delivery report on the message I'm sending, this option was available on the 6700 classic and was useful for the odd message I needed a report from. I know I can turn it on in the message options but I don't' want a report for all my messages as my operator charges for them

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
krisq

[ Edited ]

LE55ONS wrote:

I would like to see the option to have a text delivery report on the message I'm sending, this option was available on the 6700 classic and was useful for the odd message I needed a report from. I know I can turn it on in the message options but I don't' want a report for all my messages as my operator charges for them

Try adding *0# (or *N#) before the message. Works for me on Orange.
Please use plain text.