Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: N8 Symbian Belle update:: Long Wait!!!

Advisor
hash008

N8 Symbian Belle update:: Long Wait!!!

Hi Nokia,

I would like to share my thought, viewpoint on Nokia's firmware updates and it's availability to the global customers

Yes, as mentioned in the subject, I am coming to the much discussed and anticipitated Symbian Belle update for the Symbian 3 smartphone portfolio. Like all other customers, I was waiting for a good user experience on my Nokia s-phone. Symbian Anna might be the first step, but Belle definitely looks a Uber UI for all the users.

Now, let me explain my point: Nokia may release the Belle firmware for Nokia N8 someday in Q1 2012. I am definitely going to get that as I would keep this one in trash as no one wants an indefinite wait. And I may switch to some other phones running on Android/ or anything which I feel 'the cool one'. And I am not going to take another Nokia phone as this experience is horrible to wait for an update (having Nokia said "we don't & won't give the s/w update schedules prior"- it is like We (Nokia) would do whatever we want, and your (customers) interests doesn't matter). I was loyal to Nokia and keep this brand for nearly 10 years with 25+ phones from Nokia. And ultimately, you are loosing me (Nokia doesn't bother, I know). Not to try it's Windows portfolia as it's updates would be available only when Nokia feels to do it.

If this is a strategy to sell off new phones with latest OS (701 viz), this won't work well, as you may add a few customers and ofcourse sell some handsets, but a huge chunk of customer base will move away from Nokia. Another blunder is- the  release of update is happening when the update itself is 'Outdated' compared to the then Smartphone OS Versions.

I know this Post looks like my frustration vent, but certain that others who have similiar views could like or discuss this :smileyhappy:

Regards,

Harish.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
machana

I totaly agree with you. I am going to swich to iphone 4s.

Please use plain text.
Professor
Ztuka

[ Edited ]

hash

What is your point?

Anyhow, if Nokia has the same "time table" as when the first Anna phones were released, Nokia X7 and E6, then probably the version Belle will be available for the first handsets just around the corner, I think.

It seems that the "final" Belle is dated around the 20th of October so I think Nokia is doing just fine. I can´t remember the exact date of the "beta" updated E7, C7 right now.

In 2011 Nokia is really doing well considering, Microsoft partnership in February, and many updates for other devices even very old ones, including the mayor roll out of Anna. 

There are a huge numbers of handsets in the serie N8 around the world, and of course it will take time to cover the whole world.

I believe that Nokia 500, X7 and E6 will have the Belle update before the earlier handsets of Symbian 3.

I think you are rather unfair and as you should know that Nokia never actually has released any dates for Belle updates for Symbian 3-phones. When the first come. then Nokia may give time table, not before the first roll out.

For the fruit guy; more than plenty 4S devices can´t even manage ordinary calls. Look at their forum.

PS You get one Nokia 701 and one Nokia Lumia 710 for the price of one fruity...DS

Nokia 808 again (delight Belle), Nokia E7 and X7 ( again, all on Delight Belle...after some time on Nokia Lumia 925 (retired), 1020 (not that great)and Lumia 820 (Replaced my router at home, great for internet sharing).., N9 The best device ever (use it as much as Lumia 1020), Nokia 700 (Sport Phone/My Love :-) ) Nokia 701, Nokia E6 (Should have a follow-up from Nokia among with larger screen, NFC, Autofocus), Lumia 800 (Retired After 6 weeks), -Sports Tracker-Nokia Internet Radio-Handy Safe-Skype-Bambuser-Screenshot app pro-fMobi-ComingNext-Manual TaskSwitcher-jagiTimer-Easy StopWatch-Boldbeast-Equalizer-Financial Calculator-WiMP Music-YTasks-Davi-Thumbnail Folders-BizCalendar-Tiny7-Situations-nn reeder-Sport Timer-CameraLover-CameraPro-GrabRadio-LiveScore-Poddi-Gravity-SkyFilesPro
Please use plain text.
Sage
Dan555

[ Edited ]

I'd rather wait a bit more for them to get it right.

They now have to cope with upgrading to Belle from several different configurations (Symbian 3, PR 1.1, PR 1.2, Anna), some updated OTA (not always successfully, there are two parts to the Anna update and some people haven't applied both parts of the update) and some via Nokia suite, some people had problems with MMS access points, QT, or the Shop, and people have used several different workarounds or fixes to these problems.

If it means waiting a month or so more, it doesn't matter. If people have problems updating their N8 with Belle then this forum will fill up with complaints - Belle is bug-ridden, Belle is a disaster, etc... Obviously this is not the case as there are phones with Belle already out there, but it's not as easy to update older phones with several different configurations as it is to launch a brand new phone with Belle.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
steviecaptain

I dont think hash008 is being unfair, how many times have we been promised upgrades and been let down with sub standard software ie anna, maps, wat makes people think that belle will be any better, i honestly cant understand the nokia fanboys loyalty to a phone that nokia has done its best to ruin with third rate software, i myself have been a loyal fan of nokie phones as have my family, but theres only so much you can take before you finally admit that nokia,s software is at best third rate, my family now have samsung galaxys s2, and after using my sons phone for a day it outperforms the n8 on every count, apart from the camera, ive spent far too much of my time over the last few months trying to get my N8 working properly, time to admit my family are right ditch nokia and get a smartphone, THE N8 COULD HAVE BEEN SUCH A GOOD PHONE IF ONLY NOKIA HAD SOURCED THE SOFTWARE ELSE WHERE, nokia has seen the last of my cash and i suspect many other peoples cash also from what ive heard, a friend of mine works for the carphone warehouse the N8 is ajoke as are nokia, BYE
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
jagawije

I have already ditched my N8, for an iphone. Just waiting for the Micro -SIM. Take my word, never ever buy a Nokia product!!!!
Past Nokia User !!!!!
Please use plain text.
Contributor
nikmyr

I think that Nokia need to work harder with information to reach their customers NOT only about new phones like N9 or others but about software changes to older phones.

If I read on the Nokia News site in Sweden today I can read about;

Nokia Research Center – 25 years of innovation

Grand Slam for Nokia N9

Voddler now on N9

Follow our N9 test-pilots

Free TV-guide in your Nokia

Spoyify-app to your N9

On the Global site I can only read about financial stuff and see how much bigger Mr Elop's wallet is going to be this quarter or about Nokia's bold portfolio with upcoming new phones.

Where is the info to all the customers with older phones that doesn't want or can't afford a new phone????

Ahha the support pages on the site you say. OK then let's take a look.

On the support pages for Nokia N8 (yes I have one) I can read info about what I got IF I upgraded to the last version of the firmware.

I can also read that Nokia thinks that it is important for me to read the user guide and what accessories I can buy. NOTHING about the future for me as a N8 owner. NOTHING!

I think it would be nice if Nokia informed their customers that it is important that they follow the firmware upgrades and describes why. If they by mistake distributes a major bug in one of their upgrades the first once that should be out there explaining what has happened and what to do or how long to wait for a fix is Nokia no one else! Not the loudmouth morons with blogs owning iPhone's / Android phones. iOS and Android is totally OK with me just so you know, it's the complaining loudmouth morons I'm against. :-)

And it is nothing wrong with schedules and time estimates for upcoming firmware updates IF that info is revised by the responsible persons if the dead lines can't be held for some reason or if something else happens.

Nokia needs to work on their skills to communicate with their existing customers not only the future prospects.

Finally, the perfect mobile phone doesn't exist for me, at least I haven't seen one yet. Therefore my N8 can always be better so I what to know what is planed to happen and when it's going to and if something goes wrong I want to know that to. FROM THE SOURCE!

/N

Please use plain text.
Sage
mobywil

[ Edited ]

As soon as Nokia brings pre-installed Anna and or Belle firmware on certain Symbian^3 phones, into the market, there are no technical objections for rolling out Anna en Belle updates for other Symbian^3 phones. Pre-installed phones can encounter some problems with a carrier in a particular country, but that is taken for granted by Nokia as well. Since Nokia sold his (commercial) soul to carriers and other phone selling companies, Nokia is not free to go as Nokia pleases. Android and iphone roll out updates and care less what carriers think about them. In any country carriers must comply with android and iphone and not the other way around. I paint a black - white picture, I know, but I'm convinced, that I'm not far away from the reality. As long as the Anna update is not 100% available worldwide, Nokia will not roll out the Belle update. Customers in Canada and Australia are already very frustrated and the frustration will only grow when Belle is out for others before they can have Anna. I try to explain and not to defend.

Cheers

Please use plain text.
Professor
Vaidovesta

Hi Guys

As frustrated as everyone might be, including myself, I think it's only fair if we look at all sides of what's currently happening.

I, for one, get a bit uneasy reading about a Leaked version of our Long awaited O.S, but hey, that's just how this world operates, there's leaks almost everywhere and we just need to learn to live with it.

It is a fact that Nokia has lost much of it's market share to other manufacturers and it seems as if this happened overnight, but I think it's fair that we give credit where it's due. Anna was launched recently, August if I'm not mistaken, and 3 Months down the line we're at Nokia's throats for another update. Mind you Anna was not just a Bug Fix, it was a MAJOR update, which some countries still don't have due to some errors...... Before the Much Talked about iOS5, iOS 4 was made available to the public for the iPhone and iPod touch on June 21, 2010 (More Info Here), almost 15 Months in between, including the Official Launch date of the iPhone 4S with iOS5, yet we can't wait for more than 3-4 Months after a Major Update? Remember, the S^3 phones aren't the only phones that nokia offers on the market, they offer a wide range (Look at the most recent E-Series Software Updates that rolled out some days ago). If the N8 was Nokia's only Phone, I'm certain things would be running smoother, not Perfect, smoother.....

I would also love to see some sort of Improvement in here and there from Nokia, but trying to regain Market Leadership will not happen overnight and our support, as Nokia Users, will sure go a long way.

Nokia has in the years given us Products to be proud of, why can't we show the same support as we did before?

All I'm saying is, at the end of the day, we all want value for money, we chose Nokia, they are having difficulties, Let's support 'em, we're all human..... We will get Belle, we've only had Anna for about 95 days or so.... And, if True, with Carla and Donna under dev. we know that our phones will still be looked after...... Just a thought....

N8-00,Galaxy Tab 10.1
Please use plain text.
bluejenseb

Yes its a work in progress, but my n8 has the potential to evolve
and is a PC compared to the IPhone which is an Xbox.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
p2829

When it comes to Nokia firmware update, I have come to realize that I need to be bold and adventurous; otherwise, I must bear the increasing impatience of waiting for official release.

Hence, last week I self-administered flashing my N8 with the "pre-released official" Belle version 111.030.0607. It was a risk but it worked.

Now I'm enjoying Belle on N8 and even added the Jin-Hao captivating Belle theme effects.

Have to take risk of flashing the phone; that's life with Nokia as I discovered it.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
webnoob

[ Edited ]

how many times have we been promised upgrades and been let down with sub standard software

0 (zero) times. Nokia have at not once promissed Anna or Belle at a specific date, there have been and still are a lot of rumors about the release date but not comming from Nokia itself.

But frankly you nothing but a bunch of spoiled brats, the update is free and Nokia is NOT obligated to provide software updates to any devices but they do anyway and the updates are FREE OF CHARGE. So you should be happy that Nokia is providing the updates and when the time comes. I wonder if you ***Bleep*** at Microsoft when there Service Packs dosen't arrive as promised?

If you are not willing to wait for the FREE update, still not scheduled, then get another phone and use your foul language elsewhere.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
wateratz

Well said Webnoob and Vaidovesta.

I've been an IT Engineer at a high level for over 30 years in my country, and I understand like you the issues Nokia has to cover off for the updates, from ealier PR's than Anna, space issues on C:, App compatability, and also variants for the operators, languages etc. It's a gargantuan task. And when you look at the issues that Microsoft have with updates to XP, Vista, 7 etc, genrally speaking, people don't have the attitude of "I'm off to Linux, or Mac" then, do they?

I'm quite happy with Anna on my N8, and in New Zealand we still have not received 25.x Anna update yet, whereas other countries have. No big deal. The phone works, and the last Anna update worked fine, less issues than my son's iPhone update.

Nokia are doing a fine job of recovery from a negative momentum swing. They've made changes that were forced on them by legacy issues, yet are still investing in their installed base by providing updates. No company is perfect, they've made mistakes, and will continue to do so. However I for one am happy to put faith in their ability to deliver, and in the average 3-4 year estimated ownership period of a Smartphone, two or three months delay in Belle's update release is a small price to pay for them to get it right.

To those that just vent and rant, how about being of some assistance to Nokia through the Beta Labs to provide some positivity. To those that throw the toys out of the cot, so to speak, no doubt you'll be doing the same on another manufacturers web site sometime in the future, and this says more about the writer than it does about the manufacturer or the product.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

iphone 4S is now on order
Please use plain text.
Advisor
webnoob

Nice, now start your complaint another place. That is one ungreatful user, many more to go.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
treseq

Nokia said that Symbian Belle will be available from the Q4 2011. But now they are saying that it will be available in Q1 2012. Isn't this a delay? Check out the attachment. It was said during the official launch of Symbian Belle on 24th August 2011.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
webnoob

Yes and........... There are no news on any of the official Nokia sites that says it now is Q1 2012. It is a rumor.

Please use plain text.
Professor
Vaidovesta

The Q1 2012 update was tweeted by Nokia UK... And still tweeting it.

N8-00,Galaxy Tab 10.1
Please use plain text.
Superfly111

2012 is just around the corner anyway

Please use plain text.
Advisor
GadgetQueen

While we are aware that we are not being charged for the upgrades do you really think that it is too much to ask for some of the simpler problems to be fixed? I don't think so. I was told at the time of purchase last December that there would be an update that would fix the initial issues, well I am still waiting and would have gone for a different phone if I had known this.

For example the T9 dictionary is the worst i have ever come across. I know that I could use landscape and swype but I prefer to use T9 portrait (as I find I spend more time correcting what I have put when using landscape. Maybe the keys are too small or my fingers too big) and since the option is available it should at least work correctly and know the basics of the languages it supports. My nokia 5800 had a far superior dictionary. The Anna upgrads far from helping actually made matters worse, you can now no longer go back to an incorrect word & fix it without deleting the entire word and starting again.

I know this is slightly off topic but I hope that by Nokia taking more time than they originally projected to give us Belle that they will fix the niggles people have.

Please use plain text.