Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: N8 Update. A message from Stephen Elop

Professor
bazyeo

@Chefproll wrote:

If there are Android phones with cameras and GPS receivers as great as the N8's - why not.

Do not agree with you. The GPS and Nokia maps on my N8 & X6 are not a patch on my TomTom. I have given up using Nokia maps as that application is hopeless. TomTom with IQ routes is far superior. A phone with GPS and Maps is now low on my list of priorities. I will stick with my TomTom thank you very much. And TomTom can be used for both drive and walk navigation the same as Nokia maps.

Please use plain text.
Professor
bazyeo

jimmyireland wrote:

yes we should all calm down for now and stop jumping the gun I CERTAINLY AINT WORRIEDnokia wont abandon us..

Like to bet. That is the same as the CEO of an embattled football club saying the position of the coach/manager is safe and then two/three weeks later they sack him. I have been around long enough to know that:

1. You do not trust anyone.

2. You do not believe what people in authority say and you take what they say with a grain of    salt. 

Please use plain text.
AmpsGuy

Bazeyo: how did you write Stephen Elop?  I mean, do you have an email address you can share?  I would like to write him myself and share my opinion on "Microkia" and what Americans think of this debacle.

Thanks!

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
jimmyireland

bazyeo wrote:

jimmyireland wrote:

yes we should all calm down for now and stop jumping the gun I CERTAINLY AINT WORRIEDnokia wont abandon us..

Like to bet. That is the same as the CEO of an embattled football club saying the position of the coach/manager is safe and then two/three weeks later they sack him. I have been around long enough to know that:

1. You do not trust anyone.

2. You do not believe what people in authority say and you take what they say with a grain of    salt. 

DO YOU BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU READ IN THE PAPERS?

its a just  a media freny now like there is no actual device YET

i take what people with a grain of salt until i see hard evidence real life in my face evidence

where is that      woooooooooooooooooop de do its not to be seen :smileyhappy:

If  i have helped at all a click on the white star below would be nice thanks.

Now using the Lumia 1520
Please use plain text.
Contributor
blueberry12

One of the few good things I can say about the N8 is the navigator, maybe your experience was sub-par due to weather conditions etc.

I find the offline navigator equal to, if not superior, to my Garmin and old TomTom. Very precise and gives instructions well ahead in time, detects position correctly 100% of the time.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

wish my navigation was as good as yours.Did a 4 mile trip the other week and had 4 re route calculations.

went less than 1.5 miles yesterday and it told me to go a long way round.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
qenny

.. and let's be fair, with the Ovi Suite and the N8, you have pretty much killed your company's entire future stone dead anyway.  The sell-out to Microsoft was a smart move, because at least they might pay up before the corpse starts smelling.

Former Nokia enthusiast, now angry, cheated, disrespected, disregarded soon-to-be former customer. Ovi Suite, Ovi Store, the execrable web site and the unreliable N8 have created a perfect storm of cell phone hell.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
qenny

Symbian^3 updates?  Symbian^4?  As a once-loyal, now angry customer, I don't think I'll be waiting to see.  (And for the record, the pretension of the ^ naming convention is pathetic.)

Former Nokia enthusiast, now angry, cheated, disrespected, disregarded soon-to-be former customer. Ovi Suite, Ovi Store, the execrable web site and the unreliable N8 have created a perfect storm of cell phone hell.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
qenny

Ongoing support for the N8?

I'm surprised that people are expressing concern about whether the N8 will continue to be supported.  I've seen almost nothing in the way of support since I bought it, despite the fact that it needs a lot of it.  As does the Ovi Suite.  And the Ovi Store.  And their entire web site.

Actually, support is probably a bit optimistic.  Euthanasia would probably be a kinder option.  So, maybe Elop's decision was the kindest once possible in the circumstances.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
muXammLE

I could not care less about the fuss all you guyz are creating about !!

Nokia is a cellphone giant, i have been using nokia (symbian) phone since 1998 and i will continue to do so, if nokia creates a brilliant phone like n8 with another operating system i am happy to use that also BECAUSE ITS NOKIA *caps intended* ... Nokia is always the market leader whenever it comes to phone innovation, if nokia thinks symbian is getting old so maybe they are right ... nokia makes awesome phone and i will continue to buy nokia only because of that !!!

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

muXammLE you should not be a devoted fan to anyone 1 company. You should be open minded and look around and see what's out there.

I used to be like that once and only choose Nokia but then tried Sony Erricson, and that was a great phone, but then only went back to Nokia again because it had the best camera around. If it didn't have the best camera I would have for sure bought the Iphone 4. This was the main reason I bought the Nokia N8, and I am feeling let down now.

I spent my hard earned money on this phone and I noramlly keep a phone for 2 - 3 years and I expect it to keep getting support for at least this long. But with Nokia's decision to go to Microsoft, I already see not many developers making new games and apps for our phone. If there is any new games, they are all bad, nothing good, al lthe good ones seem to be going to Iphone.

I wish, I hope Nokia can persuade the developers to bring these new games to our phone, anything but ANgry Birds, getting really sick of this game. WE NEED SOMETHING NEW.

Please use plain text.
Professor
bazyeo

There are lots of complaints here in Australia from iPhone 4 users. Call quality lousey, calls dropping out, reception problems and the list goes on. When it comes to the basic function of a phone - that is to make phone calls - then you can't beat Nokia. If you want an overpriced toy like the iPhone 4 then go and get one. I will stay with Nokia for the time being. Until I know more about Nokia's future plans.

Please use plain text.
Professor
bazyeo

@AmpsGuy

As i have said in a previous post it is against forum rules to give out that information. And if I tried the mods would delete it and rightly so.

Sorry

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Laptopjunkie

The problem is that how long will Nokia support a OS that has been dumped in the bin. It cost money to do that. All the money Nokia has will be funnelled in to WM7. So now is the right time to complain. If Nokia wants to keep its customer base which by the way has been very badly damaged by this deal then it needs to be made aware that there are consiquences for not supporting there existing customers.

Please use plain text.
Community Manager
poochini21

Please use plain text.