Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: N8 Update. A message from Stephen Elop

Professor
bazyeo

N8 Update. A message from Stephen Elop

The following is a message from Mr S Elop in response to an Email that I sent to him:

Dear Stephen,

Not happy with yesterdays announcement that Nokia is joining forces with Microsoft. I have been a loyal customer of Nokia since 1995 and feel that the symbian operating system is the best. I certainly will not buy a Nokia device running Windows phone 7. I have been using windows mobile devices since 1997 and apart from the fact that they are unreliable Microsoft abandons the devices support wise after a short period of time.

Also another complaint. I cannot get the latest update to my Nokia N8 which was announced this week (release 1.1). So it looks to me that Nokia have also abandoned support to the N8.

Shame on you Mr Elop. Nokia has just lost me as a customer. Instead of going with Microsoft, your company (Nokia) should have concentrated improving the best mobile phone platform that there is.

Shame, shame, shame.

Hopefully the Nokia board will soon see the error of your ways and your head will soon be on the chopping block.

And his reply

Thanks for the note.

The update for the N8 should be available soon.

As for Windows Mobile, that older operating system was abandoned by Microsoft.  They started from scratch with the new Windows Phone operating system, and it is on that basis that we are moving forward. I hope we can prove that our expertise with mobile devices can deliver to you a great experience in the future.

Regards,

Stephen

Comments welcome. 

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Ghostyx

[ Edited ]

i agree. i'm really ashamed that i paid 600 to get the N8 (incl. tax and shipping) and i encouraged 3 of my friends to pre order it and they did, and now they all lame me because the phone suck. no software update till now and still waiting, always false promises from nokia. i'm really stuck with this phone. maybe with windows 7 mobile software it gets better. at least it's Microsoft (a known respectful company) that at least can keep it's promises...

MODERATOR'S NOTE: This post has been edited. Inappropriate use of words are not allowed in this forum. 

Please use plain text.
Professor
babis3g

for now i will stuck with n8 for a while bad or good and will be watching if is worth, a mobile 7 in future, because right now i am reading around there is not copy and paste option, no bluetooth, NO MULTITASK

as long my critiria up are there, is not problem an other platform
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
neilrossgoco

And how'd you sent him a message?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
jimmyireland

to be honest its getting a bit silly now looking at similar jibes against nokia and micro on all threads saying the same thing by the same people
there is nothing to worry about yet this is only news for now and does not mean nokia will not support there current line up of phones
when you see a message from nokia saying we will not support our current range then people can rant about it

If  i have helped at all a click on the white star below would be nice thanks.

Now using the Lumia 1520
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
MIPAPO

We would owe all to write to the Mr. Nokia-Killer, so that he sees the force of the Users of Nokia.

Internet had demolished a President of a Country, it can also demolish this idiot of CEO of Nokia

Please use plain text.
Contributor
y2kmady

so we will get updates or not for symbian^3 & will symbian^4 will release ????

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
rayhipkiss

[ Edited ]

@y2kmady

You will get updates for Symbian^3.

There will not be a Symbian^4. That was scrapped several months ago in favour

of upgrading Symbian^3's GUI and functionality. However, after the recent news regarding

Nokia and Micro$oft's love-in I doubt that will happen now.

All the best.

Ray

Please use plain text.
not_sure

Ok, so the update will come. This is good news for N8 owners, right? Or do people have reason to believe that it will make things worse and then not get fixed any more?

Please use plain text.
Contributor
y2kmady

thanks for the reply.:smileyhappy:

&

when r this all upgrade gone be for public ??

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
jimmyireland

there will be an update you have to be patient simple as that

If  i have helped at all a click on the white star below would be nice thanks.

Now using the Lumia 1520
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Daren

The original poster wrote to the Nokia CEO about his PR1.1 update, and Elop replied that he would get it soon.

Again, that's the PR1.1 update, which many of us already have.

Nothing mentioned about the PR2.0 update, with the new browser and qwerty portrait keyboard. This update is still up in the air. Period.
Please use plain text.
Professor
andy3196

Daren wrote:

Nothing mentioned about the PR2.0 update, with the new browser and qwerty portrait keyboard. This update is still up in the air. Period.

For what looks like good news about PR2.0 see /t5/Software-Updates/Official-Nokia-N8-PR1-1-Software-Release-Schedule/m-p/925219#M85045

N8-00 pc059C9F6 Belle
808 PureView pc059P6W5
Please use plain text.
Professor
bazyeo

@neilrossgoco

I sent him an email but I cannot give you his email address in this forum as it is not allowed.

Please use plain text.
Professor
bazyeo

@Daren I have an unlocked and unbranded N8 which has been confirmed by a Nokia support executive at Nokia's Australian HQ in Sydney Australia. He has even given me his direct phone number. (and no he does not work in the Nokia Australia call centre as that is based in the Philipines). He has confirmed that the PR1.1 update is not available for my device and cannot tell me when it will be. I have checked my product code 059D402 on a website run by flagpole ( a forum member) and that site conforms I have an unlocked, unbranded phone. So if I and numerous others (there are over 500 posts on conversations.nokia.com website) cannot get the pr1.1 update I would not hold my breath waiting for the PR2.00 update. It has also been reported elsewhere on the internet that Nokia have given 1500 employees their pink slips. Do not expect any further support for symbian. That way if you do not get any support you won't be dissapointed. On the other hand if you get support then you will be pleasantly surprised.
Please use plain text.
Matti_n8

Hi Stephen

I believe that you did what you needed to do. Hope all the good for you and Nokia with that decision.

But, please do understand that Symbian is what was bringing Nokia to it's position, and is quite good today (even if the development has been sometimes unbelievable slow). It's a really a pity that more people don't know it well enough to find it's beauty. Much more customizable than commonly understood. Much more capable to satisfy different users than commonly understood. But, there still are a couple, a couple of xmillions actually. So it is still worth to maintain and keep the needed resources for serious development efforts. If Nokia cares their lojal customers, and wants successfully make the transition. So from my understanding, Nokia needs Symbian anyway for years. WP7 will not take Symbian's position in one night. And perhaps not taking it's position ion developing countries even in two nights. 

And, I was actually quite surprised about your public (you knew your letter to leak) words about Symbian and the work done so far. Sounded like you would want to shut down Symbian as quickly as possible. As a CEO you need to understand that your words already violated seriously the business of Symbian devices, violation easily counted in hundreds of millions of Euros. I can't really understand this part of the behavior. But, if Symbian really is useless, please sell it to someone by 1 Euro. Perhaps there is still someone who want to make money with it. Wants to differentiate, and serve the number of users, decreasing, but anyway.    

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Daren

[ Edited ]

My message to Nokia (wonder how long it will be before the Men In Black remove this post)

Hey Nokia: Way to *bleep* on your user base and employees from a great height. I Hope selling your soul was worth it.

Edited by Nokia: Please read our guidelines about using foul language.

Please use plain text.
Professor
bazyeo

@Daren Well said. Could not agree more. Stephen Elop is nothing more than an Microsoft mole planted at Nokia so that Microsoft can bring this company down and then take it over.

This is a sad time for Nokia's employees, suppliers, developers and customers.

What you have to understand is that americans do not like being beaten at the own game by anyone from outside of America. I do not have ant time for america or americans. In fact back in 1995 I had a family member working in america and this person invited me to america to visit as this person was feeling rather homesick. My reply was "no thanks. The last place in the world I would want to go to is America".  For some reason the Americans seem to think they have this right to tell everyone in the world how to run their life. Shame to S Elop. Shame to Microsoft and shame to all americans.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Daren

[ Edited ]

Something I saw yesterday on Twitter:

"Has any other company ever scrapped the OS with the largest market share in favour of one with the smallest?"

Please use plain text.
Professor
bazyeo

This is purely a case of Microsoft taking over Nokia with the view to eventually closing it down so that it (Microsoft) can get rid of the opposition in the name of market share. In the business world market share is everything. The higher the market share the stronger your position. The smaller the market share the more vulnerable a business is. This is all about market share. Obviously Microsoft do not like being beaten by Apple and Google. Unfortunately for Nokia they are the food Microsoft are feeding on.

Please use plain text.