Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: N8 Video Codecs?

Counsellor
mafiatounes

N8 Video Codecs?

[ Edited ]

Hi i'm currently using a iphone 4 and i want to back to symbian, i'm considering the n8 as my next phone, i have a question about it's ability to playback movies, i read somewhere in a review that the n8 can play avi and divx(xvid) can somebody enlighten me?

It says ir doesnt support these codecs on nokia"s site thats why i'm confused

Nokia Lumia 1020 + Sony Xperia Z1
Please use plain text.
parabolik

i have n8

n8 can play avi divx xvid etc

i and others have problems only with file .mpg

and not all mkv can be played

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
nserieshamo

if you have an Iphone 4 and have purchased content from Itunes. It will play...as long as you purchased them through Itunes Plus... Which removes the DRM code and allows the files to be played on any device

Please use plain text.
osloensis

I downloaded some video lectures (mp4) from ted.com for offline use on my N8, it will either not play them, or will stop the perfectly playing video suddenly and will not budge. Any ideas how to avoid stops?

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
conti1888

yeh if the video dnt work simply use a converter to pup into an n8 friendly format. files over two gig have to be split into two however.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
krisq

[ Edited ]

N8 has one of the widest codecs support. DivX/XviD are MPEG4 Advanced Simple Profile codecs. If you check Nokia Forum for full specification, you'll see it plays MPEG4 ASP up to level 6 (720p@30fps).

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Abdullah_jutt

i am am N97 user, i m planing to switch to N8, can any1 provide me video playback capbilities of N8, ie codec, cotainer format , maximum bitrate and resolution supported?
Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
krisq

Please use plain text.
Sage
matthewleech

[ Edited ]

osloensis wrote:

I downloaded some video lectures (mp4) from ted.com for offline use on my N8, it will either not play them, or will stop the perfectly playing video suddenly and will not budge. Any ideas how to avoid stops?

ted.com videos are still not working on the N8.  I've just sent this message to ted.com's feedback system:

Hi,

None of the Ted videos will play on the Nokia N8. When trying to play the videos I get audio but no picture.  This applies to the standard and the hd versions.

I see that the video format is H264 which is supported on the N8.

I ran a few of the videos through a converter which was set to output H264 at original size and frame rate so effectively the output was in exactly the same format as the original and the converted versions all worked.

I've seen that iPod Classic users are experiencing a similar problem: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2813428?start=0&tstart=0

Is this a known problem or will the be an adjustment in the video format?

Many thanks,
Matt Leech.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member

hi, i just got my Nokia N8 from a Nokia Shop and it`s playng  HD, AVI, Xvid movies, i don`t now how but it`s working

Please use plain text.
Advisor
rajbow

@tweety_domynyk

this is about the mp4 downloaded from TED.

@matthewleech

thanks for that post. I converted the TED 480p H264 encoded MP4 to a 480p H264 encoded MP4 and it works! I couldn't figure out why thought. But it works.

Anybody landing here from search would find it helpful.

this was my number one result on carrot2 search. [keyword: ted video mp4 not playing on my n8]

Please use plain text.
Professor
hpholm

It usually has to do with H264 CABAC encoding, that smaller devices choke on:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Context-adaptive_binary_arithmetic_coding

I don't know if the N8 has enough processing power to support it in a future release of the video player?

"Mediainfo" from Sourceforge can analyze the video file and tell more about the encoding used

http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en

Hans

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
rayhipkiss

hpholm is correct. It's all about CABAC reference frames. The video needs to have CABAC <= 4 reference frames in order for the N8 to play it. The videos from TED.com are encoded with 8 reference frames.

So you will need to convert the video to have less reference frames.

@conti1888.

The maximum video file size is 4 GB, not 2 GB.

Thanks

Ray 

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
kadet

[ Edited ]

When watching a video in flash player in your phone's browser, you can watch 1080p video up to 1980x800 30 fps (flv mp4)

When trying to download videos to your phone and try to run it would be a system error

Please use plain text.
Advisor
shoaib20696

[ Edited ]

following codecs are supported

Moderator's note: Affiliate website replaced with actual website. We don't allow affiliate websites on this Discussion Board.

Please use plain text.