Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: N8 assisted GPS dysfunctional in Symbian Anna

Advisor
theoriginallee

N8 assisted GPS dysfunctional in Symbian Anna

Alright, I've posted on the maps section, but i'm thinking this is device specific.

Since the Anna update, the assisted GPS has been functionally broken on my phone. It takes many, many, many minutes to get a lock (using integrated GPS solely, when I'm out and about).

The common solution to verify "use only in home network" for positioning server "supl.nokia.com" or whatever does NOT work for me. I know I'm not alone in this, as on these message boards and throughout the internet I also see people with n8's and this problem that cannot be fixed by that positioning server fix.

There was a service pack and ovi maps update recently that I had hoped fix it. Instead, it seems to have made the problem a little bit more invisible.

This is what normally happens: i have internet connectivity offline (i don't have an affordable data plan). Before the service pack, I would open Ovi Maps, and after a second or so I would get prompted with a "Connect to the internet?" option with "Connect automatically/Connect this Time/Cancel" choices. Before Symbian Anna, I would do "Connect This Time", I'd get charged like USD $.02, and then I'd get a GPS lock in less than 10 seconds. After Symbian Anna, nothing would happen, I'd get notification about a "System error", and then I'd get prompted again about making a data connection. I'd hit "Connect this Time" again, but nothing would seemingly happen. It would take upwards of 10 minutes to get a GPS lock, which tells me that A-GPS is being skipped in sole favor of integrated GPS.

With the service pack, the only difference is that I don't get a "System error" at all, but I keep getting prompted to make a data connection. Even if I hit "Connect this time" nothing happens.

I can further verify that assisted-GPS isn't working simply because I'm not getting charged anything by my carrier (AT&T). Normally I get a notification that my last transaction cost me $.02 - $.03, which makes sense since AGPS is just a small bit of data back and forth to narrow down GPS satellites. However, since Symbian Anna, no matter how much I tell Maps to make the data connection, I never get charged anything.

Does anyone know of this problem? Is there a Nokia "known issues" page so I can see if Nokia even considers this a problem? Has anyone fixed this?

For the record, I have virtually NOTHING custom-installed on my phone. Swype is the only non-stock app I have, so my phone is as basically close to factory-reset as possible. So it's not like I have something funny messing up my A-GPS.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
aspergerguy

@theoriginallee

Have you tried going to Menu > Settings > Application settings > Positioning > Positioning server > Server settings > Options > New server - and set up additional supl.google.com?

Happy to have helped forum with a Support Ratio = 42.5

Please use plain text.
Professor
j444lh

Just confirming,

In Maps settings under General, Connection is set to ONLINE and Network Destination is set to INTERNET.

Then in Settings/Connectivity/Settings/Destinations You have one called INTERNET and that it is the default.

Otherwise have you tried the various Resets and perhaps try Reinstalling the Firmware using Nokia Suite as something may have been messed up in your Anna install.

N95 (RM159) V31.0.017, N8 (RM596) Belle 111.040.1511
Please use plain text.
Advisor
theoriginallee

I tried adding supl.google.com. Didn't work.

I have tried resets in the past, haven't worked (I've reinstalled Anna so many times...) I've also verified conenctivity settings and my access points. Haven't worked.

I'm not clear what it means to reset the firmware via Nokia Suite? Isn't Nokia Suite windows only? I have a mac...

I'm about a few more frustrations away from just rolling back anna altogether...

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
avalx

[ Edited ]

I have similar problem with my N8 and Nokia Belle - any solutions yet?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
rayhipkiss

@ theoriginallee

If you tap on the supl.nokia.com under Server settings you should be presented with another menu.  The second option should have your network providers access point defined.

Ray. 

Please use plain text.
Advisor
theoriginallee

@avalx No. I thought Belle would fix it, but no.

@ray I'm not sure what you're talking about. Have you tried what you describe? Tapping on "supl.nokia.com" does not present any kind of "second option" that has the network providers access point definition. Plus, I don't see how that would be related to this fix at all.

I'm getting increasingly frustrated at all this. _this_ is why nokia is going down in flames, because i've never had this kind of an intractable problem with android or iOS. i can only hope their windows phone venture is better.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
rayhipkiss

Of course I've tried what I'd suggested, that's why I suggested it. Clearly then, if nothing is happening when you tap on the server name it means an access point isn't defined so assisted GPS won't work.

Ray.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
rayhipkiss

Also, when tapping on the server name you should be presented with the following  screen.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
aspergerguy

Trouble is it has all changed under Belle as OP points out in first post of thread as no way of amending although new server can be added:

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
rayhipkiss

@aspergerguy 

Actually, the OP's first post makes no mention of Belle. Indeed, the title of the thread clearly states Anna. Also, when I posted my original comment the OP still hadn't mentioned that he'd updated to Belle.

Thanks.

Ray. 

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
aspergerguy

My apologies, that was why I was useless at exams and another reason for avoiding update to Belle!:smileywink:

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
rayhipkiss

aspergerguy wrote:

My apologies, that was why I was useless at exams and another reason for avoiding update to Belle!:smileywink:

:smileyhappy: No worries. However, my advice is now useless to the OP as he has updated to Belle. 

All the best.

Ray. 

Please use plain text.