Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: E7 auto restart after updating Anna

Sage
dj_nick_t

Re: N8 auto restart after updating Anna

@angler @nvee

Once those 2 settings from Search have been disabled and the device was rebooted, you can go back in Search and enable both of them (as they were initially). You don't have to be afraid of freezes and reboots anymore :-))

Btw, in the last 48 hrs I'm using my N8 in Dual mode, experienced not a single freeze or restart, with both Search settings enabled (On) and everything operates just perfect. And just like before, in order to avoid glitches and lags while in voice calls, in areas with poor 3G signal the receiver switches automatically to 2G mode (antenna symbol on the display, near the signal bars); and switches itself back to 3G when fine coverage available.

Finally, now I gotta admit that Anna just works (overall way better than PR1.2) :smileyhappy:)

Have a nice weekend everyone!!!

Previous (starting with '99): 5110 (2 pcs.); 6110; 6150 (2 pcs.); 6210; 6310i; 6680; N70; N73; N82 Silver; N97 Transition Black; N97 mini Cherry Black; iPhone 3GS 16GB Black; iPhone 4 16GB Black; N8-00 Dark Grey; iPhone 4S 16GB Black
Current: 808 PureView Black (Nokia Belle FP2, v113.010.1507) & iPhone 5s 32GB Space Gray (iOS 7.1.2)
Please use plain text.
Costy_costyca

hello everyone,after 24 hours since i have maked the settings that dj_nick_t told us...i had no restarts and no freeze at all....thanks a lot dj_nick_t....!!!

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
nvee

No freezes..restarts ever since the search settings were applied..anna is finally behaving :-)) tnx dj_nick_t
Please use plain text.
Sage
dj_nick_t

[ Edited ]

You're all welcome :-) Since tweaking these pesky settings, I'm also enjoying Anna finally.
Please accept this previous post of mine as solution: /t5/Nseries-and-Symbian-Smartphones/N8-auto-restart-after-updating-Anna/m-p/1150853#M275556 ;-)
Thanks!

Previous (starting with '99): 5110 (2 pcs.); 6110; 6150 (2 pcs.); 6210; 6310i; 6680; N70; N73; N82 Silver; N97 Transition Black; N97 mini Cherry Black; iPhone 3GS 16GB Black; iPhone 4 16GB Black; N8-00 Dark Grey; iPhone 4S 16GB Black
Current: 808 PureView Black (Nokia Belle FP2, v113.010.1507) & iPhone 5s 32GB Space Gray (iOS 7.1.2)
Please use plain text.
Advisor

The solution in search both off I tested. No results
the restart problem is still there. So I use on the road my e7 in gsm mode.
being in a place where I read mails and surf on the internet I use quicknet http://store.ovi.com/content/50401 for quick change to dual
mode. I hope the problem will be solved in the bella update.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
cynic

Same story with my Dutch N8. Unfortunately this solution didn't solve the reboot problems.Travelling along A12 highway my phone keeps rebooting and eventually closes down completely. I am with KPN provider. Does anybody have other sugestions? A mobile phone that switches off when you get mobile, is practically worthless: Nokia please give us some directions!
Please use plain text.
Contributor
DoctorLove

No solution to propose unfortunately, but strange enough I've the same problem as cynic. Repetitive rebooting in the Netherlands-Breda (usually T Mobile: after call, aswell missed as taken) and no problems in Belgium (Mobistar).

Please use plain text.
BBcaller

Got the same problem with my E7 after I upgraded to Anna. Before there was never a problem and the phone actually worked perfectly. The continuous spamming to do the required upgrade made me use Anna. Now it is rebooting all the time when I am in my car (in NL with KNP as provider). However it seems to be also connected with using bluetooth somehow. As soon as I turn that off, the rebooting is much less... Maybe it is a coincidence, but till it is driving me crazy.... Now it looks like my old N96, hanging and rebooting all the time...and I think with the N96 it was a Symbian memory management problem... a consequence of too much features for the Operating system at that time?... And now with Anna again??? Nokia, please release a patch to solve this issue!!!

Please use plain text.
Advisor
edenbri

For DJ Nick :

Just done your magic trick on my N8 a few hours ago........so far so good !

It rebooted a couple of times per hour, not a single time since the changes as per your advice. I'm getting carefully optimistic to have solved this very annoying problem.

Without further messages, you made my day !!!!!

I'm from Holland, using KPN.... just for the record.

Thanks and greets,

Ed.

Please use plain text.
anniephuong

I've just updated the Symbian Anna onto my N8 in the US.  Of course it was restarting by itself 3-5 times per hour like everyone else says here.  I made a mistake of sending it back to Nokia.  So I didn't know this but they sent me a new phone.  Now, it's doing the same thing.  I tried the Search Off Off that someone recommends then reboot, but it didn't work.  Now I am setting in the GSM mode and hopefully that might help.  I still don't know enough about computers/phones stuff to say I know what I am doing.  i just want the phone to work.  Is the iphone my only next option?  Yikes.  This has proven very difficult first update so far.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
93tid

[ Edited ]

anniephuong wrote:

I've just updated the Symbian Anna onto my N8 in the US.  Of course it was restarting by itself 3-5 times per hour like everyone else says here.  I made a mistake of sending it back to Nokia.  So I didn't know this but they sent me a new phone.  Now, it's doing the same thing.  I tried the Search Off Off that someone recommends then reboot, but it didn't work.  Now I am setting in the GSM mode and hopefully that might help.  I still don't know enough about computers/phones stuff to say I know what I am doing.  i just want the phone to work.  Is the iphone my only next option?  Yikes.  This has proven very difficult first update so far.

Are you on T-Mobile by any chance ? This has been reported a few times by T-Mobile users and was resolved in each case by getting a replacement new SIM card from the network. This might work for other networks as well.

Please use plain text.
anniephuong

Do you know what I should ask for when I ask for the new SIM card? Since they don't carry the phone they always tell me they don't know how to service the phone? Yes, I am on T-Mobile. I tried the GSM setting since yesterday and it seems to hold its course so far--no restarting.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
93tid

[ Edited ]

Just tell them you constantly lose connection to your network in places with strong signal and ask them for a replacement SIM card, since other phones on the same network work fine in the same spots and also your phone works fine with a SIM from another network. You shouldn't need to sacrifice 3G speeds.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
MSK9

unfortunately the DJ_Nick fix did not work for me.

The only thing that works against the constant restarting is setting it in GSM mode but that is not a solution that I am happy with...... when I'm within range of a usable wifi network it is ok but when I'm not internet is too slow.

The restarting is so annoying especially  while making a call, listening to music using navigation or using the phone in any other way. That is not why I bought a N8-00 so I'm pretty disappointed with this phone since the anna update. It makes the phone totally unreliable and basically useless for business purpose, since it cannot happen that I lose calls multiple times. So when I'm traveling I set it to GSM mode but then I have poor internet. I am seriously considering an other phone since this issue is not being addressed by Nokia.

I can only hope that nokia releases an update for this issue soon. I would rather see them find a solution for this issue than releasing new updates for Maps, service pack etc.

Please use plain text.
anniephuong

Thank you so much. IT WORKED! T-Mobile gave me a new SIM card. And it's finally working. How did you guys ever figure this thing out--I don't know what I would do without this blog. I wish someone would tell Nokia Care about how to fix the problem. Thank you so much.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Scirroco

This sounds like the solution I am looking for too but I do not have the "2 options" to turn off, when following the route MENU-APPLICATIONS-SEARCH-OPTIONS-SETTINGS...I only have the option of turning off the "Show search history" which does not seem to have anything to do with the 2G/3G/DUAL issue?
Please use plain text.
Advisor
edenbri

The offered solution does NOT work.

When switching back to DUAL the same problem reoccurs.

This problem has been around for quite some time now. There are a lot of mentions of this specific problem on the site. Is NOKIA doing anything about this or are the users problems neglected ?

This is my third NOKIA, this is my third giving-a-lot-of-problems NOKIA !!

After almost 100 mails to NOKIA there is no reply, apart from the usual "you can return the phone for repair". After which it comes back with the same problem !

Never ever a Nokia again, what a load of **bleep** !!!!!!!

Please use plain text.
Advisor
edenbri

Changing sim card, problem still exists

Reinstalling Anna, problem still exists

Anybody having a solution ? Nokia maybe ? I cannot use 3G now, since updating to Anna !!

Please use plain text.
bk330151

I have the same problem, nothing helps even contact with the custom help does not solve the problem, there is no answer....how will NOKIA solved the troubles !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Belgium provider telenet)

Please use plain text.
Contributor
MSK9

My  problems with restarting on dualband seem to have been resolved by updating to belle. As aspected it was a software problem. So no more problems with restarting now but don't get me started on the other issue's with Belle :smileywink: but that's for another topic.

Please use plain text.