Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

N8-can´t find my saved photos and videos

Januaria

N8-can´t find my saved photos and videos

My new Nokia N8 is working good, but I can´t enter the photos. Everytime I press the button "photos" my Nokia turns into black screen and nothing happens. The phone is not down, but it can´t display photos or videos. What should I do? Should I download some program to view pictures?

Please use plain text.
Professor
andy3196

Re: N8-can´t find my saved photos and videos

Mine did this to me earlier today.

Doing a reboot, by holding the power button for 8-10 seconds, until it vibrates 3 times sorted it out.

Try this first and see if it helps.
N8-00 pc059C9F6 Belle
808 PureView pc059P6W5
Please use plain text.
Januaria

Thanks for help. I´ve tried this 2 times. First time screen was still black and there was button Options down on the screen. After second time my phone showed a message that media are recovering but nothing happend and I still can´t enter the photos, there is still black screen. I am little bit fed up with this phone.:smileysad:

Please use plain text.
Professor
andy3196

That's a shame, although as it did a different thing each time, I would try a few more 8 second reboots in the hope that it worked eventually.

As to what else you can try, I been thinking a bit but stress that these are just thoughts and I don't know if any of the following actions will cause other problems.I'm not an expert when it comes to sorting phones out, so you might prefer to wait for other opinions.

How many photos do you have on the phone? I've only got a couple of hundred so far and I'm wondering if havinga lot more may cause issues. If you do have lots it might be worth moving some off the phone to a computer and seeing if that helps.

As a slightly obscure thought, is your phone locked to a carrier with custom firmware, I have heard but never suffered myself, that sometimes custom firmware can mess up the way the phone works. If the gallery has never worked properly and you do have a carrier locked phone it might be worth seeeing if your carrier has a support forum and whether other customers are suffering the same problem.

After exhausing those options, if it were my phooe I would start thinking about resets.

FIIRSTLY, MAKE SURE YOU HAVE BACKED UP THE PHONE USING OVI SUITE AND HAVE ALL THE DATA YOU WANT TO KEEP SAVED.

There are quite a few threads on this board about losing apps when doing resets, and I would advise having a good read of these before doing this, though I think they are mainly concerned with three button or #* resets. If you aren't happy with doing resets yourself, I would suggest going back to whoever you bought the phone from, or to your local Nokia Care Centre.

The phone has two options for Factory Resets, accessed by:

Menu > Settings >Phone > Phone Management > Factory settings.

I would try the first option "Restore" first as this shouldn't delete data. The delete data restore will do as it says, but you should be able to restore your backup afterwards.

I hope you do get it working properly, the N8 is a great phone when it's working well.

N8-00 pc059C9F6 Belle
808 PureView pc059P6W5
Please use plain text.
Januaria

Thanks again, I really appreciate your effort to help me. I am little bit sad that my phone is not working properly, because I love Nokia n8, it´s great phone indeed!

I will try to reset it to factory settings and I really hope it will work but if not I will visit our local Nokia service maybe they could help.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Thundermax

I've had the same problem but couldn't solve it.

The first problem was that some pictures i copied to my phone (21Mpixels Jpeg (~6-9 MB) from Canon 5D2) had very strange colors ( i had to auto edit the pictures in phone and resave them to get it right), while some others simply didn't appear.

Then one day all pictures and videos where gone, Like you, It said "Recovering Media" but the screen remained black.

I noticed that if i touch the screen in the empty black area, the folders appear but it says 'Nothing to display' if I click on one. I also noticed that the files could still be viewed via the file browser/manager (even those that didn't appear in the viewer (!?!)). They where also displayed correctly by the Beta Nokia Photo Browser App.

It looks like the original shortcuts have lost their way to the photo and video files...?

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Thundermax

And same for the pictures or videos made with N8, they can be found by the file manager/browser but don't appear in the Photo/Video app...

Please use plain text.
Januaria

I see that your problem is exactly the same as mine. I´ve tried everything to solve it, but nothing helped. It really looks like the apps don´t have the correct path to find pictures, videos or music you have in your phone. I´ve downloaded app Nokia photo browser and thru this app I can see the photos but I can´t send or edit them. And everytime I try to enter music files, the phone is down.

I decided to change my phone for another one, and I hope that other phone will be really much more better than previous.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
phyrhone

[ Edited ]

Hey guys I experience the same problem.

I did a lot of remedies and work arounds, like restore under settings. Holding the power button, and I did it even a few times thinking it might work. I don't see anything-no photos and videos in the photos and videos viewer. Althoug you guys are right that photos are showing when viewing it via Photo Browser app. One thing I notice is I can't seem to access all the folders and files in my file manager. You know all the .lnk file extentions that only shows up.

I figure it out how to connect it via Mass Storage instead of using OVI suite. At first it goes back to connecting via OVI Suite but I manage to use Mass Storage when connecting in a USB by keep on clicking Mass Storage on the phone. Because I know I can view all the files by using it, when using OVI suite, my pc doesn't show the files.

Now I just need to copy my photos to my pc, then go back OVI Suite mode to back up my contacts and messages. I didn't need to back up the settings and apps cause I know I can still download them and reinstall it--cause if I did back it up I may encounter the same problem.

Now I was thinking that the cause of the problem in my case is the custom home screen (talking about your customer firmware topic)  I installed it a few weeks before experiencing the problem. I can create up to 6. i experience slow reponse when switching from one home screen to another.

Two days ago I took pictures, about 200 and transferred it to my pc. Then last night about 100 of them-but during the time when I was taking pictures, I notice as well that it really took time for the camera to respond to take a shot or open the camera app. I wondered, then I experience the same problem with my Photo and Video viewer that it doesn't respond or show the pictures right away, probably the same thing with the camera app, about 7 to 10 or maybe 15 seconds sometime. After that i running out of battery, so I shut down my phone and charged it 3 hours after I got home. Planning to upload the photos, I turn it on and that's how I started noticing the problem.

Now reinstalling the software did not work as well.

Delete data restore last resort. and that did the trick. Unfortunately and too bad for some settings and apps.. Had to start from scratch.

Will "Phyrhone" Laurent

" A simple task, doesn't take a genius to figure it out. Use your brain."
Please use plain text.
Contributor
benjinus

I have the same problem with an e7

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
ryanb83

I have had the same problem with my N8. I discovered this problem straight away. I have just sent it back to buymobile.net where I got my deal. I couldnt access the photos, videos or change my ringtone via the profile personalization. If anyone else has had this problem I urge you to post it. These should be minor software problems as I havent read any other post reporting problems. Nokia's and Samsung's have always been good to me. Hopefully get my phone back at the start of next week.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
mikossivas

are the pictures saved in the memory card?
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
mikossivas

since i updated my C7 to SymbianAnna the photo/video App cannot read any of the pics/videos in the memory card!
Please use plain text.
Professor
Vaidovesta

Hi there Januaria

Had the same problem and here's what i did:

Firstly, do you have Nokia Anna Service Pack installed? If Yes, follow the below steps...

• Download a file named MDSBlackPhotosFix.sis
  • Install The file, it will tell you that you're Installing an Older Version or that it might not work, Just continue Installing.
  • When done, check your photos, they should be visible.
  • Please note: After this, SW updater will say that you have Symbian Anna service pack available, Don't install it, it's the causr of your problem.

Hope this helps. Try it and comment.

Regards,

V

N8-00,Galaxy Tab 10.1
Please use plain text.
feelkarthik

Ha I am Karachi from India actually now I am Dublin last night my honey n8 mobile have some problem I can't see my photos and videos I don't know why but I saw my mass store plus help me what happen to my mobile 

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
juliegal

Good evening

Pls how can i download this MDSBlackPhotosFix.sis  to fix the proble of my N8.

Please use plain text.
feelkarthik

i am also dont knw how to do mds black photosfix pls help me and n8 software belle i dont like this becoz never support all software we dont have photo editer pls help me
Please use plain text.