Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

N8 compulsory "Camera sound" Please remove it

Sage
CLTSchwarz

N8 compulsory "Camera sound" Please remove it

I'm starting this thread hoping that someone in Nokia will hear it and take action.

In some countries (Australia is one) the N8 Firmware has been altered so that when you take a photo the camera must make one of it's cheezy click noises.

It's pointless on the N8.  The red LED is so bright that it can be blinding and it is terribly obvious that a photo is being taken.  The phone even looks like many modern hand held cameras, and the camera even has a REAL shutter sound and doesn't need a fake sound addition.

So mr N8 firmware engineer at Nokia please hear this and remove the compulsory camera sounds from the firmware and enable the "off" setting under camera sounds for everyone.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
bandofbrothers

Re: N8 compulsory "Camera sound" Please remove it

As this is a user to user forum Nokia wont probably get your instruction.

I would suggest you use the contact us link to mail the Nokia helpcentre direct.

I reside in the Uk and have updated to the newest sw and in the camera settings I can still turn off the capture tone.
Nokia Lumia 1020
iphone 5s16gb - black/slate

Be happy !!
Please use plain text.
Sage
CLTSchwarz

Yeah - I got my phone whilst in Europe and can happily turn off the sound.  However my friends here in Australia have the restriction and it has existed on Australian Nokias for a long long time (many models for the last xxxx years).

I'm doubting an email to Nokia will get far - most of my friends in Australia think that it is a universal restriction and they won't say anything.  One voice would be ignored.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
rayhipkiss

I'm afraid that if it is a legal requirement for mobile phones to have a shutter sound

when taking photos in Australia, there is not much Nokia can do about it. No matter how much you ask them.

As an experiment, you could try putting your phone in silent profile and see if that disables the shutter sounds, as it does on my N8 in the UK.

All the best.

Ray

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
vikashvjain

use Joyeye lite available on Ovi store . It doesnt makes the shutter sound But the red light Will show up . .

All the best
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
n8paul

From the Camera   OPTIONS - SETTINGS - CAPTURE-TONE -  OFF

I think that option may have been added on PR1.1  

Alternatively 

Go to PROFILES   (select your active profile  e.g. GENERAL)  Personalise 

set WARNING TONES - OFF

Simples

Please use plain text.
Sage
CLTSchwarz

It isn't a legal requirement in Australia.  There are other phones which don't make the sound (one example is iPhone on silent).  I think this should be reviewed by Nokia, it makes an awesome camera seem cheap.

Also to answer the other question it hasn't been added in PR1.1 - it is a regional firmware thing, i.e. Australia has it's own variation that causes the restriction.

After all what fool would consider trying to secretly take a photo with an N8 when it has a super bright flash that will fire in random situations (face detection etc) and a red LED so intensely bright?

As far as I'm aware it is a legal requirement in Japan - the iPhone even makes a camera noise on silent in Japan.  But you may find that the N8 LED and manual shutter sound probably even covers their legal requirement, except for the forward facing camera but the restriction could apply to that camera only.

P.S. one finger over the speaker and it is silent anyway - what good does it do.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
scottysattler85

is it just me or does nobody else worry about such a small thing like this? Can i ask what the big deal is,having a camera sound on your phone?

If i have helped, feed me kudos!
Please use plain text.
Sage
CLTSchwarz

Okay maybe it is just one of my irks.  Maybe it is a small thing but if it was gone the experience would be more polished, and it would seem more like a decent camera.  I find the sound intrusive and that is the part annoys me.

Doesn't it annoy you if you are at a wedding or something and you can here the cheesy digital sounds of mobile cameras - the sound is designed like a little alarm to get attention (unlike run of the mill flashes, and shutter noises) after all and I don't think the attention should be on the cameras.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
anilphilip

No, they have not added the off mode. However, one way to decrease the annoying sound is to set the tome to camera 4 and then while taking the photo keep a finger as hard as possible on the loudspeaker just beneath the camera.

it will reduce the sound drastically.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
anilphilip

You can even keep a finger on the flash in daylight to keep it from affecting other people
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
virendersehwag

Re: N8 "Camera sound" remove..........its working..............!

hello friends.........

want to remove N8 camera sound..........

just download the "PATCH".........

and install it on your phone.....

download from the network id.........

http://thehandheldblog.com/2009/07/13/how-to-disable-camera-sound-on-your-nokia/

its working try it......................!

virender sehwag
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
rayhipkiss

virender sehwag

That's a good find. Wondering if anybody else in this thread has tried it, and if it works for them.

Ray 

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Works on Nokia 700 as well (UK)

Please use plain text.