Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

N8 contacts: problem with voice call sync

Counsellor

N8 contacts: problem with voice call sync

I sync my contacts with Ovi and since I moved my contacts to my new N8, most (if not all) of my contacts with multiple phone numbers (Cell, Home, Work, etc.) only offer me a unique choice for "Voice Calls". All other phone numbers are grouped under "Video Calls" in my contacts address cards.

For example, my mom is listed with three phone numbers (none of them video capable) but only her cell phone is listed under "Voice Call". So if I want to call her at home (home phone is listed  under Video Call), the connection fails (of course) as the phone tries to video call.

How can I correct this issue?

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
stanislav53

Re: N8 contacts: problem with voice call sync

You have to touch call number for longer time and then you can see window with all telephon numbers.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
carman58

You can edit contact details with ovi suite, and prioritise them, you could for example have 3 'telephone numbers', then put the 3 numbers in these fields and then delete any other entries of them, also set the defaults on your contacts on the phone by selecting one of them then use the Edit option, where you should be able to add or delete details !

If I have helped at all, a click on the White Star is always appreciated :

you can also help others by marking 'accept as solution:smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
citori

Yes, I have this problem as well. If the contact has more than one telephone number it moves the mobile number into the "video call" field. It has done this for all the numbers from my 5800 and it also does it for any new entries I create.

This really sucks..... I can't believe that Nokia has released this fone with such a huge bug in the S/W. If I wrote programs like this at work I would be fired.

To make a call to another mobile, I have to look up the number, write it down and then dial it in manually, PANTS...

I have been on to Vodafone helpline and they are baffled! They have suggested loading the latest realease of firmware, but I already have this, the fone is only 2 days old.

As for using OVI to edit the contacts and prioritise the numbers, that does not work either.

In OVI the numbers show in their correct locations ie, Home and mobile, yet when I look in the N8 contacts the mobile number has been moved to video call.

Anybody have any bright Ideas before I bin this piece of pants and buy an Iphone.

Please use plain text.
Sage
Symbian_fan

Bu the way did you read this post? I hope you are talking about the same issue. It is not a software bug but it may get tricky in times.

/t5/Nseries-and-S60-Smartphones/Phonebook-problems/m-p/883883#M249409

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
citori

Thanks for your reply Symbian_fan, You are a star. The thread you sent me gives me the answer I needed.

Sorry for the rant, but I can't tell you how frustrated this phone has made me, most unlike my other nokias.

I can't understand why they have put in extra steps to do something that used to be so easy with older fones. On the 5800, you open the contact, select home or mobile number and off you go, simples.

Also on the 5800, if you wanted to save a previously dialed number in to a contact it was easy-peasy, but I still can't figure it out on this fone and I program for a living.

It seems to me that as time goes by, it should be made easier to do things.

Thanks for your help once again, you saved the N8 just as it was about to hit the bin, or should I say the returns envelope. :smileywink:

Please use plain text.
Sage
Symbian_fan

I'm glad i could help you. It was actually an advancement, but need a little getting used to, I mean, how many times you pressed a contact and got the Selection menu for video call or Voice call (thankfully you got the hardware call key, It is not there in N8) or selected and contact in messaging and got another selection tab to multiple numbers in 5800 (think if you send a message to 10 people and each of them got 3 to four number under their contact - its a pain men). 5800 also got the defaults, but you should manually assign it, but here in N8 it's done automatically to reduce the frustration

About saving the dial numbers, just press and hold on the number you will get the popup to save to contact. You should try press and hold anywhere if you feel like you are missing some functions

In 5800 you select a field and go to option, in S^3 you can't select the field so options doesn't include the field specific stuffs like save to contact or delete this entry. it will there in the press and hold popup (press and hold is there in 5800 contacts too, but the implementation is rather week)

Please use plain text.
Contributor
PeterJCh108

[ Edited ]

On my N8, holding the number in the numbers allocated to text only opens a text, held number for few secs, many secs, 10s of secs, always and only opens text.

Suggestion of prioritising numbers in OVI... .. 900 contacts!  On a £450 phone - you got to be kidding!

Ahh - the missing step, click on the right tab for a full list of all ythe numbers, whre holding the number gives the menu!  Nokia are not helpful in giving that info, only been searching for a few months.....

Please use plain text.
gauravtchcorp

I got a complain of not hearing properly in my updated nokia n8 belle....what shuld i do??????
Please use plain text.