Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: N8 - disappointing battery life

Advisor
stewart_01

N8 - disappointing battery life

[ Edited ]

While the N8 is a great phone, the battery life is a disappointment.

Nokia used to skimp on processor and memory, but this time round, Nokia are skimping on battery life.

Running on my N8 - I have BT active, Nimbuzz for IM, 15 minutes email syncing, 30 minutes of web browsing, around 20 text messages and less than 5 minutes of phone calls.  I barely get 12 hours.    On my E71 I'd get around 24 hours.

I realize the N8 has much larger screen, but really, 12 hours is quite pathetic in this day and age. 

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
carman58

Most reports of N8 battery life are good, leaving BT running will use a lot of juice , as will any programmes using the web in the background. Try using BT only when you need it, and try battery saving mode. All phone batteries lose power the more things you do with them, on a heavy day my N97 will die after 10 to 12 hrs, on a fairly light day it will still hve 50% charge left when I go to bed. You can't expect the phone to run a number of power draining functions constantly and also get good battery life, it's physics !!

If I have helped at all, a click on the White Star is always appreciated :

you can also help others by marking 'accept as solution:smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Advisor
stewart_01

[ Edited ]

Thanks for the reply, but like I said, I would get over 24 hours on my E71.... its disappointing that the N8 can't do the same.  I realize that accessing the internet and BT ( which is supposed to be low powered, btw ) consumes more battery.  Nokia should have provided higher capacity battery.

I have a bluetooth headset, so turning BT off really isn't an option.

Please use plain text.
Sage
mikwag

Activating Power Saving seems to automatically switch off 3G, changing to GSM.  This is not acceptable - nor does it appear to be configurable.  So power saving is not an option for me, as I use 3G if I browse the net - I don't want to have to change settings just to have a quick browse.

That having been said, I haven't checked to see if the GSM would automatically kick in if I started the browser - it may do - will check later.

My current phone - Samsung Galaxy Note
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
carman58

[ Edited ]

Don't have the N8 so can only comment on what I've read, but the reviews I've read all say a couple of days possible with moderate use, just see if there is something like setting email retrieval to manual, install a Black theme and turn down the screen brightness a little, a light theme on an AMOLED screen uses 3x the power of a black one !

Try This

http://www.tehkseven.net/theme/75124/new-black-mobile-theme.html

If I have helped at all, a click on the White Star is always appreciated :

you can also help others by marking 'accept as solution:smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Advisor
stewart_01

If you have power saving on, when starting the browser, the connection is still 2G / Edge.

Having the power saving configurable would be great. Also, having the 2G -> 3G switch upon browser activation would be equally good.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

ave to ageee, the battery life on the N8 stinks, easily the worst battery performance I've ever experienced on a Nokia phone. Bitterly disappointed with this device.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
elie7

12 hours ??? do you know how good that is comparing to other smartphones like the htc desire, or the n900 or even the iphone 4 ???

really on my n900 with msn, facebook chat on all the time, and browsing 60-70 pages (including youtube videos, full facbook, and flash websites) and some games like nfs undercover and asphalte 5 and the sims 3, i get arround 4 hours, but with no msn/facebook/skype and without gaming just browsing and phone calls/messaging, i get a full day easy .

Reality is wrong....dreams are for real... 2pac .
don't forget to hit that green kudos :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
elie7

[ Edited ]

and guys please do not compare the n8 to the e71, the n8 has a bigger cpu (double) a bigger screen, with a lot higher brightnes, and everything is fully upgraded from the e71 .
imagine if a v8 turbo car used the same power consuption as a 2 years older bmw series 3.

Please use plain text.
Sage
mikwag

All good arguments that fall down TOTALLY when you compare what Nokia promised with the N8 and what they delivered.  I am not getting anywhere near what the Nokia official specs say I should - and not by an acceptable 'small' margin, but by a huge factor. Whilst 'the reasons' for this are undisputed, the fact is that we should not be expected to put up with what is in effect a big betrayal of trust in Nokia to deliver what they say they will.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
stewart_01

[ Edited ]

The iPhone 4 can run rings around the N8 battery life.

The manufacturer claims of battery life can be dismissed as pure fantasy.  They aren't real world.

However, Apple do consider 'real world' conditions and are pretty good - claimed battery life vs real.

Elie-> Yes, it is a little unfair to compare E71 vs N8, however, the fact is Nokia should have provided a larger capacity battery in consideration of the larger screen ec.  In fact, the battery of the N8 is *smaller* than the E71.     Nokia have skimped on the battery in the N8.

I read reviews of the N8, for example, AllaboutSymbian where it sounded like the battery lasted for more than a day while under heavy use.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
elie7

well more than a day is arround 12 hours ( don't forget night time while the phone is on stand by, that can't really be considered running time, on standby i get 4 days on my n900) and the dude didn't spent all his day playing with the phone, only his working time or whatever .
but yes nokia never delivered what they promissed (hard to say that about the n900, they didn't say that they will be bringing portrait mode or flash and they didn't )
Please use plain text.
Sage
lanita

Think everyone is missing the point here.

I don't really care about what HTC phones, Iphones, or any other Nokia phones can achieve in terms of battery usage.

What I care about, Is the fact that N8 specs, state that the phone is able to achieve 390h in standby (16,25 days!) or 12h of Talk time.

From my personal experience, the N8 doesn't even achieve 48h of standby time!

I did the experience with my fully charged N8.

No apps were running (except Nokia Battery Monitor), the power saving mode was active, I have a Black theme in use, no calls were made, no photos/videos were taken or viewed.

The phone wasn't touched except to check the battery status.

So what usage time should I be expecting from my N8? 6h? 12h?

I paid for a phone with the specs advertised at Nokia's website, so that is what I expect my phone to deliver. No more, no less than that!

Something is wrong with the phone, and it needs to be fixed!

If you found this post helpful, please click the green button. Thanks!
Please use plain text.
Sage
mikwag

I totally agree, Lanita.  My experience mirrors yours.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
elie7

@lanita try your expereince without a sim card installed, and with no wifi connected, and set birghtness on the lowest level, and only check once every 24 hours, i know it won't reach 390 hours (no way) but i think it will get double the time of your last experince .
but i agree with your point .
Please use plain text.
Sage
mikwag

Hi Elie.  I am sure this is meant to be helpful, but what would that prove?  That you can get somewhere near the published figures for the N8 if you charge your device, don't use it as a phone (no SIM), and stick it in a drawer and don't touch it?  This is meant to be Nokia's new high-end product for goodness sake.  The main thing I got from your post was

elie7 wrote:
" i know it won't reach 390 hours (no way)"

This is just the point of this thread - no way will the N8 APPROACH the figures published by Nokia.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
elie7

understood mate :smileywink: .
ok remember the n97 ? (so nokia has a history at this )
but at least they are getting better, lol .
Please use plain text.
Sage
lanita

mikwag wrote:

Hi Elie.  I am sure this is meant to be helpful, but what would that prove?  That you can get somewhere near the published figures for the N8 if you charge your device, don't use it as a phone (no SIM), and stick it in a drawer and don't touch it?  This is meant to be Nokia's new high-end product for goodness sake.  The main thing I got from your post was

elie7 wrote:
" i know it won't reach 390 hours (no way)"

This is just the point of this thread - no way will the N8 APPROACH the figures published by Nokia.

The question is, should we cross our arms, do nothing and stick with a phone that is great on paper, but can't be used, because the battery does not perform according to the standard Nokia advertised and deceived us with, or should we make some "noise" and do our best so that Nokia, at least, acknowledges that there is a problem, that this problem is a huge problem for the customers, and that they will solve it for us all that have a faulty battery?

I just did my part and sent them an email where I explained my problems and hopes.

I believe that everyone else should at least do the same as well.

Let's make sure our voices are heard! 

Please use plain text.
Sage
lanita

elie7 wrote:
@lanita try your expereince without a sim card installed, and with no wifi connected, and set birghtness on the lowest level, and only check once every 24 hours, i know it won't reach 390 hours (no way) but i think it will get double the time of your last experince .
but i agree with your point .

What's the purpose of doing that?

It's a PHONE! It's supposed to have a SIM card in it!!

If I can't make calls with my phone, what do I care if it can achieve a fantastic battery life?

If I can't use it for nothing, why would I buy it?

It ceases to be a phone, when you remove your SIM card from it!

More than that, the specs state that it can achieve 12h of talk time! 12h!

Do you think you will achieve a 12h talktime without a SIM card?

What S***** tests were performed with N8, from which their researchers concluded that it was going to achieve those performances?

From the one I have in my possession, that is IMPOSSIBLE to obtain!

I want a proper, OFFICIAL explanation!

If the specs are a lie, and Nokia deliberately deceived its customers, it is not only a shame for a company like Nokia to resource to those kind of strategies, but it is also AGAINST THE LAW! 

Something needs to be done!

Please use plain text.
Sage
mikwag

Yes,

lanita wrote:

The question is, should we cross our arms, do nothing and stick with a phone that is great on paper, but can't be used, because the battery does not perform according to the standard Nokia advertised and deceived us with, or should we make some "noise" and do our best so that Nokia, at least, acknowledges that there is a problem, that this problem is a huge problem for the customers, and that they will solve it for us all that have a faulty battery?

I just did my part and sent them an email where I explained my problems and hopes.

I believe that everyone else should at least do the same as well.

Let's make sure our voices are heard! 

I totally agree Lanita.  I sent my question about battery life to Nokia earlier today - disappointed that although my phone was registered and I have all my details registered with Nokia I had to type everything in again including Name, Phone, email address, model no, everything that they already have as a registered user.  Even worse, the query I sent to them required me to select my phone from a drop-down list of Nokia phones - AND THE N8 WASN'T ONE OF THEM ....

Please use plain text.