Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

N8 - disappointing battery life

Sage
lanita

Re: N8 - disappointing battery life

Do you lot remember that I "revived" my N8 a few days ago??

Well, today it died for good...dropped it at the nearest Nokia Care point...

Hope I can have a replacement for it, and not just a fix...

Better luck than mine, to you all!

If you found this post helpful, please click the green button. Thanks!
Please use plain text.
Sage
Akuma07

Just an update guys.

My N8 has just finished a 100hour operating time =]

Ever since I got rid of the Nokia Battery Monitor, my battery life has gone 60, 72, 80, 100.

Im lovin' it

Hit the white star if I have helped you =]
Please use plain text.
Sage

Regardless if i've installed the NBM or not, StandBy time doesn't change :smileysad:

Nokia Bug Tracking System @ http://dev.an3k.de/bugtracker/
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

Having NBM installed does not reduce battery life especially if you don't use it much, but having the NBM widget on the homescreen does. 

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
elie7

i agree with cjlim, having NBW on my other nokia devices such as the n900 or the e75 doesn't affect battery life.
Reality is wrong....dreams are for real... 2pac .
don't forget to hit that green kudos :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Teit

I can confirm that it's a fault in the phone, I contacted Nokia Care Center, and the phone is not suppose to only have around 9-16 hours battery time.

After this I went to the phone shop and told them about it, and they agreed and I got a new phone (Nokia N8). I charged it for around 10 hours the first time, and so far it's held on for 18 hours, and still lots of battery left.

So if any of you still have this problem, I can recommend going back to the shop and trade for another phone, the warranty should cover it.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
tranz789

Something wrong with the phone hardware, or an application is draining the battery in the background.

I use my email in always on mode, use a bluetooth headset for talking and music, about 2 hours each daily, surf the web for about 1 and half hours daily, and use my device as a note taking machine for about 2 hours daily ( Monday to Friday)

I have enough battery left to last me the entire night till next morning. Let me specify i use EDGE networks in India, and my manufacturing date is November 2010.

I use the orange theme "Nokia Theme Orange", make me feel Evil like "Tron" :smileyhappy: .

On the sidelines go see the movie, disclaimer : leave your brains at home.

Lumia 800 : N8 Black : E72 Black : E61 : N95
Please use plain text.
Sage

My phone has been running out of battery at night and I found out it was due to it constant connection to Wifi. Was downloading Tron Tanks and dozed off, if the N8 is connected to Wifi even if it has finished downloading (it's still connected to the Ovi store), the battery will be drained.

This is the opposite of the iPhone .... in the iPhone the 3G connection will kill the battery while connecting to Wifi doesn't do much to the battery.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
HVBB

I really thank to NOKIA that I am getting 36hours battery. Even in the use of 24hours of my Email, songs, snaps, videos and etc.,.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
bored_bel

i've had my n8 since thursday... even on standby after a full 12 hour charge my phone barely lasts 6 hours... that's sending two or three texts, making one phone call and then putting it in my bag.. anybody got any ideas as to why this might be? 

is there stuff automatically running in the back ground? i'm also having problems with the mms i'm sending.. noone's getting them even though they were before i changed the phone.. ? 

thank you :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
jagodi

Try to change your SIM

Please use plain text.
noufalmadathil

same for me pls solve nokia
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
tranz789

I am surprised that the phones do not last 24 hours on a full charge. My friend got the N8 the day it was released in India, and he uses the device more than i do, and still lasts him the entire day with enough battery left about 45%. This cannot be manufacturing issue with a batch of phones, because his manufacture is September 2010, and mine is November 2010.

Lumia 800 : N8 Black : E72 Black : E61 : N95
Please use plain text.
Sage
CLTSchwarz

I found a particular widget was killing my battery life (I think it was accuweather).  I guess it was a bit too active.  Nice to hear some of you fixed your battery issue.

I got 3 days out of mine last weekend with making some calls / txts, mfe on active syc on the Monday.  The only thing I have running in the background is periodic.phonelocator.mobi and Wellness DIary.  I still had a lot of battery left too, it was a bit of a test to see how much I could get out of it so I didn't play with the phone much.

During the week I get a bit over a day out of it but use it quite actively.

I haven't read all the posts, may have already been suggested but you can use "Nokia Situations" to automatically put power saving on while you are sleeping and turn off bluetooth etc, at times/places when you don't need it.

Please use plain text.
Voldenuit

Re: N8 - stellar battery life

I'm pleased to report that my experiences with my N8's battery life have been rather positive.

Using energy saver profile for most of the time, and light usage including email (gmail sync'ed every 15 minutes), facebook a couple times a day, a few calls, messaging and maybe 1-2h of music playback between charges, I've gotten:

5 days 21 hr with 15% battery remaining in NBM on last charge

4 days 12h with 25% battery left on previous charge

I'm averaging 4-5 days between charges on my N8, and have not had the phone last less than 2 days even with moderate/heavy use (720p video playback, GPS, Angry birds, NFS Shift).

I usually keep the phone in energy saver profile unless I want 3G (for internet). Widgets are set to offline mode unless I want to sync them (don't need by-the-minute updates on most things). The following widgets are installed on my home screens:

Accuweather (synced a couple times a day)

Social (facebook, synced several times a day)

Mail (gmail set to 15 minute polling)

Traffic widget (also synced a couple times a day, as I only need the data when commuting)

WLAN wizard (scanning set to off unless I need to connect)

Compared to my friends using Android devices (GalaxyS, Desire, Bravo), my N8 lasts much longer with comparable usage. I'd wager that homescreen widgets may be the cause of many users' problems, and Accuweather seems to be a common culprit. Also, my homescreen backgrounds are mostly black, which should help with AMOLED power consumption.

NBM estimates around 6 hrs of GSM talk  time, which I've found in line with my usage patterns. I do use the speakerphone often, which should worsen the power consumption.

Compared to my old N70, the N8 is getting close to twice the battery life (even when the N70 was new) with much more use and greater functionality.

Please use plain text.
Voldenuit

[ Edited ]

@bored_bel: Have you tried switching off the wifi when you're not using it? You can use the WLAN wizard widget to switch off scanning when not in use. If your wifi connection is running 24/7, that's going to chew up power unnecessarily. Also, you might want to set homescreen widgets to offline mode before going to bed, another common power sink - mail will still get through (the phone will power up the wifi for brief periods to poll your mail server automatically).

Please use plain text.
Sage
lanita

Hi everyone,

I finally have my new N8 (the last onr died on me and had to be replaced by Nokia).

I must be one of those people that is really unlucky people, but the new phone I have, doesn't seem to go by the 24h lifetime mark either...

I have only had it for a week, but during this period I had to charge it every single day...

I hope this one isn't faulty has the last one, because I truly love the N8

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Kapteeni

I have no problems with the battery if power save mode is on. Just was in business trip leaving house early monday morning and back in house wednesday night and still got 10% juice left. Phone was mainly used as camera (100shots) and normal talking and a bit wifi. So i was happy with that.
But if power save is off, day is max for battery. And if you forget widgets online, full battery is gone during night and no juice even for alarm clock. This has happened to me three times. All mail sync etc checked andstill dont know what causes the phenomena.
Please use plain text.
Voldenuit

@lanita:

Try using energy saver mode and turn off wifi when not in use. Note that disconnecting the network is not enough - the wifi antennas will still be on unless you turn off scanning as well (accessible in WLAN widget). Also note that energy saver mode turns off 3G, so if you want to access the net on 3G, you have to manually disable it.

As several people have mentioned, some widgets seem to eat more power than others. You could try a process of elimination to find out which ones are doing this, or you could set the widgets to offline unless you're actively using them.

Obviously, this is not ideal if you have to turn off smartphone features to get usable life out of your smartphone, but I'm sure there is a happy balance for most users, and hopefully nokia is working on fixes for some of these issues. Hope these suggestions help!

Please use plain text.
Sage
lanita

Voldenuit wrote:

@lanita:

Try using energy saver mode and turn off wifi when not in use. Note that disconnecting the network is not enough - the wifi antennas will still be on unless you turn off scanning as well (accessible in WLAN widget). Also note that energy saver mode turns off 3G, so if you want to access the net on 3G, you have to manually disable it.

As several people have mentioned, some widgets seem to eat more power than others. You could try a process of elimination to find out which ones are doing this, or you could set the widgets to offline unless you're actively using them.

Obviously, this is not ideal if you have to turn off smartphone features to get usable life out of your smartphone, but I'm sure there is a happy balance for most users, and hopefully nokia is working on fixes for some of these issues. Hope these suggestions help!

I've already have all those things off.

I've just ran a test with the phone, and without touching it, it went off juice in a bit over 24h...

it seems I'll be sending this one back to Nokia as well...

:smileysad:

Please use plain text.