Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

N8 - disappointing battery life

Mobile Sensei
carman58

Re: N8 - disappointing battery life

[ Edited ]

@mikwag, While you're waiting I'd really try to optimise the phone to use as little power as possible, try not to leave web based widgets running, set them to check every few hours if possible, and set your email to update manually as apposed to auto update, I'd also install and use a very dark theme and turn off theme effects if they are active, this should give you a few more hours life, hope the phone turns into what you want it too, it appears to be a great device, and I'm hoping for an E7 as soon as it's launched, so obviously want the new Symbian phones to be reliable :smileywink:

If I have helped at all, a click on the White Star is always appreciated :

you can also help others by marking 'accept as solution:smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Sage
mikwag

[ Edited ]

Hi Carman.  Don't worry - before I even started this thread I had spent hours FULLY researching ways to optimise battery life - all the suggestions you made were already in place - black theme, power-saving set on, widgets set to offline, mail set to manual update, no background applications running, theme effects off.  The only thing that is active is the sync of my contacts and calendar set to every 4 hours between 9am & 5pm.  Nothing much more I can turn off.

My current phone - Samsung Galaxy Note
Please use plain text.
Sage
lanita

carman58 wrote:

@mikwag, While you're waiting I'd really try to optimise the phone to use as little power as possible, try not to leave web based widgets running, set them to check every few hours if possible, and set your email to update manually as apposed to auto update, I'd also install and use a very dark theme and turn off theme effects if they are active, this should give you a few more hours life, hope the phone turns into what you want it too, it appears to be a great device, and I'm hoping for an E7 as soon as it's launched, so obviously want the new Symbian phones to be reliable :smileywink:

I'm already doing all that...

You cannot imagine how frustrating this is...

My phone is on power saving all the time, I use a black theme, the widgets are on offline mode, all the internet connections are turned to manual (ask always), the email is OFF.

I've done everything within my power, to save battery, and still all I achieved leaving it on standby, were 38h...

Even with all these measures in action, I won't be able to get a day of use with this phone...

If you found this post helpful, please click the green button. Thanks!
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

[ Edited ]

I'm completely baffled by all the posts on poor battery life. I easily get 3 days with my N8. True I do switch most things off (why keep apps running when not using them!?) and don't have active widgets, but I do use music, video, wlan and access my emails via mobile web on a daily basis. For example, I watched 2hrs of video last night and hardly lost 10% battery life! And NO, I don't switch the mobile off at night as I use it for my alarm call!

Those that are having problems with the battery either have a defective unit or don't fully understand what a smart phone is. Learn how to tweak the phone so that you get the maximum usage and only switch on wlan, bluetooth etc when needed.

And to finish, I would like to say that the N8 is superb. I have so far had it for a month and can do nothing but praise it. For a 1200 mAh battery it beats any other smart phone on the market.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
SnaxMuppet

Now I have found out why my wifi wouldn't stay disconnected it looks like I may get many days out a charge.

Fixed the wifi bug yesterday (removed and readded the wifi access point) and it has been in power saving mode for nearly 24hrs now and the battery monitor is still showing 92%.

I am happy now.

Use wifi and data and that will drop to 24-36hrs again... at least I can now turn off data and wifi and get a decent period between charges now.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

It's a shame people aren't seeing the figures quoted. I probably only get a day and a half out of my N97 but I leave BT on, homescreen widgets are online and emails come in straight away (so I guess it's polling regularly).

Personally I'd rather have these features running and simply charge the phone when it needs it.

I could save battery power but the extra time wouldn't really be getting me anything.
Nokia 808
Nokia CK-200
Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
elie7

ok i juts amnnaged to get 15 hours of usage on my n900, some phone calls, texting, browsing (arround 50 pages), 3d gaming (asphalte 5 and nfs undercover), and i installed 3-4 apps and updated 3-4 apps, and arround 10 hours of stanby (and i watched a video too ) .
Reality is wrong....dreams are for real... 2pac .
don't forget to hit that green kudos :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Sage
Akuma07

carman58 wrote:

So return the phone as unfit for purpose and get an alternative handset of whatever make or model, that fulfils your requirements :smileyhappy:

The point is, a point you arn't understanding.

The N8 should have longer battery. People aren't using it heavily and it is running out fast. The links you provided are all for phones that are being used heavily and STILL lasted longer than the N8.

When i use my N8 heavily, i get about 12-15 hours out of it. Thats rubbish.

Hit the white star if I have helped you =]
Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
elie7

@akuma 12-15 hours is pure gold .
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
SnaxMuppet

12-15hrs on a heavily used smartphone like the N8 isn't bad IMO.

Please use plain text.
Sage
mikwag

12 - 15 hours on a lightly used N8, however, is RUBBISH.

Please use plain text.
Sage
Akuma07

I have also noticed that in the 1st 2 weeks, when I was charging it for 10 hours while switched off, the battery was lasting anything up to 60 hours.

The last week or so, it hasnt really gone that far past 30 hours.

The only difference is that I have Battery Monitor installed now.

Hit the white star if I have helped you =]
Please use plain text.
Sage
mikwag

Interesting that - it may be that the battery monitor is the cause of the problem.  That WOULD be ironic wouldn't it!

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Sumitsonu1

Hey guys i uninstalled Nokia Battery Monitor yesterday from my N8.

Now i`m checking how much battery backup i can get ......

I had charged it yesterday at 10 pm..

N after 24 hours now it still showing me 100% ....

I little played with it....

It may be Nokia battery monitor which is draining our battery ......

I think so......

U guys also try once n c the result on ur Nokia N8.....
Please use plain text.
Sage
mikwag

[ Edited ]

Will do .... LOL! :smileytongue:

Please use plain text.
Sage
lanita

jrrsteve wrote:

I'm completely baffled by all the posts on poor battery life. I easily get 3 days with my N8. True I do switch most things off (why keep apps running when not using them!?) and don't have active widgets, but I do use music, video, wlan and access my emails via mobile web on a daily basis. For example, I watched 2hrs of video last night and hardly lost 10% battery life! And NO, I don't switch the mobile off at night as I use it for my alarm call!

Those that are having problems with the battery either have a defective unit or don't fully understand what a smart phone is. Learn how to tweak the phone so that you get the maximum usage and only switch on wlan, bluetooth etc when needed.

And to finish, I would like to say that the N8 is superb. I have so far had it for a month and can do nothing but praise it. For a 1200 mAh battery it beats any other smart phone on the market.

I understand that your "baffled" with the negative comments on the N8's battery since your not experiencing them.

But the fact that your phone is working well, doesn't mean all others are.

I wish mine, was working perffectly!

That way, I could just cruise these forums to help others, instead of almost maniacally try to get my phone to work properly.

I'm not even going to reply to the part I "highlighted" from your post, because it's just disrespectful to all of us with SEVERE battery problems on our N8s.

I've been using cellphones probably since before you've ever seen one, so I do know what I'm doing, and I do know what I'm complaining about.

As I said before, apart from the battery problem, the phone seems to be great. Haven't had any problems at all.

But the fact is, that I can't really enjoy the phone, if the battery does not perform to its supposed standards.

So, it is great for you that you're not experiencing problems, but do not try to diminish the problems others are having, because all we want is that our phones function properly

Regards 

Please use plain text.
Sage
lanita

scottb721 wrote:
It's a shame people aren't seeing the figures quoted. I probably only get a day and a half out of my N97 but I leave BT on, homescreen widgets are online and emails come in straight away (so I guess it's polling regularly).

Personally I'd rather have these features running and simply charge the phone when it needs it.

I could save battery power but the extra time wouldn't really be getting me anything.

elie7 wrote:
ok i juts amnnaged to get 15 hours of usage on my n900, some phone calls, texting, browsing (arround 50 pages), 3d gaming (asphalte 5 and nfs undercover), and i installed 3-4 apps and updated 3-4 apps, and arround 10 hours of stanby (and i watched a video too ) .
I just wanted to know what these two posts have to do with the battery problem us N8 owners have been experiencing...

We don't really care about what other phone models, from Nokia or not, can achieve.

The problems we're having are associated with our N8s.

Most of us, can't get a decent usage life from our phones, and that is the reason why we're here trying to find a solution for our problem.

More than that, the performances we're experiencing are not even close to the official specs published by Nokia. When someone like me, is trying everything they can, turning everything off on the phone, and after all the tweaks, is still only getting a 38 out of 390h (official spec at nokia website) standby hours, something is wrong, and needs to be addressed by the manufacturer accordingly.

I'm not going to hide my problems, so that the N8 gets a more colourful picture painted in the blogs.

I want my problem recognised by Nokia and SOLVED!

Please use plain text.
Sage
lanita

elie7 wrote:
@akuma 12-15 hours is pure gold .

SnaxMuppet wrote:

12-15hrs on a heavily used smartphone like the N8 isn't bad IMO.

Once again, you two are missing the point here.

I don't know what the specs are for the phones we're regularly using or seeing in friends' hands, and I couldn't care less!

If you think 12-15h out of your phones is great, or "pure gold", good for you.

If what you're achieving with you're phones is less than the specs published by Nokia, you should be demanding more as well. If you don't do it, it's your onus.

Don't come here and ditch N8 owners that are only trying to get what they were promised if they bought the phone.

I won't settle for anything other than the published specs, or I want an explanation for how those specs were achieved, and how can we get at least close to them with our phones.

I won't let myself be deceived in this way. No one should!

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
elie7

easy now, at least you have a chance of nokia listenning to you becasue you run symbian i run maemo5 and i've been demanding flash 10.1 on my device since ages (its already developped, but nokia won't give it to us ) .
maybe a software update will fix ur issue.
Please use plain text.
Sage
lanita

elie7 wrote:
easy now, at least you have a chance of nokia listenning to you becasue you run symbian i run maemo5 and i've been demanding flash 10.1 on my device since ages (its already developped, but nokia won't give it to us ) .
maybe a software update will fix ur issue.

I hope the battery problem gets solved. I've been doing whatever is within my power to get it resoluted.

The question I have for you is: was the usage of flash 10.1 within your phone's official specs?

Because all I am demanding, is nothing more than what Nokia has published as standard for every N8 device sold.

Is that what your doing as well?

Anyway, the discussion of anything other than the N8 battery problem/solution is off topic...

Please use plain text.