Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

N8 music player "artists and albums" issue

Advisor
dteslenko2

N8 music player "artists and albums" issue

Hello!

"artists and albums" in N8 music player mixes albums with same name from different artists

into one album.

How to reproduce:

1) add "Greatest Hits" album from Blondie and "Greatist Hits" from Black Sabbath

2) refresh library

3) now there's one album "Greatest Hits" from Black Sabbath that contains songs from both Blondie and Black Sabbath albums.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
nowplaying

Re: N8 music player "artists and albums" issue

Yes, even my 3,5 years old 6110 navi has artist \ albums, N8 made a major mess of much of my 6110 music collection upon transfer (although fixed most after hours and hours with mp3tag). And years ago I even got a 5 band equalizer. Basic sound is good, but needs the option to be tweaked to ones taste and earphones, Those lame presets are mostly dead ducks. Didn't even check when I bought the phone, thinking it was obvious that things could only have gotten much, much better in the player dept. over the years. Very wrong. Hoping for some good non-nokia player to emerge, like Opera wiping the floor with the joke-browser Nokia supplies.

A very good concept, but unfinished. Nokia must get the obvious flaws & omissions fixed asap.
That said, my N8 works fine in many important ways, and get lots of good use (maybe just luck ..?)

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
heineoen

I sure HOPE this is fixed in PR 2.0!
Please separate Artists & Albums.
N8 FW: 022.014 -- Please separate Artist & Albums!
N86 8MP FW: 30.009 -- We need a new FW on this phone!
E51 FW: 410.34.001
E70 FW: 2.0618.07.10 -- Why no v3 for my code?
Please use plain text.
Contributor
BarbedHawk

I had the same problem.

I just use MP3Tag to edit the album name, I just put the artists name on the album tag in front of Greatest Hits and they were then seperated.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
carman58

if you run your music through windows music player before installing on phone and find album info in it all the music will display correctly :smileywink: well at least the odd 30 or so albums I have on my phone do , with album art in cover flow !

If I have helped at all, a click on the White Star is always appreciated :

you can also help others by marking 'accept as solution:smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Advisor

Why to go back? why not go forward???

Why Nokia, oh why did you decide not to use sort by artist? What is the logic in that?

(A very sad nokia fan)

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
clbalt4444

Definitely would like to see artists and albums seperated.  The current setup is not ok.  Busy looking for alternative music players - anyone have suggestions?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
carman58

TuneWiki and Moodagent  both at Ovi store !

If I have helped at all, a click on the White Star is always appreciated :

you can also help others by marking 'accept as solution:smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
heineoen

Definitely would like to see artists and albums seperated.

1+
Please use plain text.
TaiMai

I see your +1 and I raise it a +Infinity.

This is utterly baffling. I mainly listen to Drum & Bass which isn't usually released in albums; just as unnamed releases with 2 song each. I usually manage to get around this lack on album name by sorting by folders, but Nokia kindly foresaw not to include this feature either! With mp3tag I went through each artist and created only 2 albums, "A - M" and "N - Z", thinking it would be an acceptable workaround, but when I transferred the files to my phone I only had 2 albums with about 600 songs each!!

In what universe does Nokia think its acceptable to take us this many steps backwards? It (amongst several other minor blemishes) tarnishes an otherwise very solid phone.

Note to Nokia: The little things matter. Pay attention to details and your customer will be happy. Please fix the crazy album and artist sorting.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
mayak72

In an another post, I said exactly the same ...

That %$^*ù^$^§ player doesn't serve anything ... only make me crazy to see that there was certainly engineer and lot of intelligent people that work on it to finally do that ... Really great !!!!

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
heineoen

I don't like the artist and albums view at all!
Please separate it in a music player update!
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
slowfiddler

Nokia, I think I speak for a lot of people here:

"Group By Folder" option.

Please use plain text.
Advisor

Hello All, 

I dont know which bright mind in Nokia thought of this amazingly stupid idea of displaying artists and albums together. I mean what sort of IQ does a person need to see that it actually makes it next to impossible to search and listen to one album straight.  

The version before the 'Anna' update was better. Here i am telling people that the native player is better than all other players, and guys at nokia go ahead and screw it all up. Now i am FORCED to search for players which can sort by Album. FolderPlay was a better alternative. 

However, i guess its a Microsoft tradition they have adopted, of first screwing things up and then mending them in further updates....

WAKE UP NOKIA. 

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
krisq

sanghram wrote:

Hello All, 

I dont know which bright mind in Nokia thought of this amazingly stupid idea of displaying artists and albums together. I mean what sort of IQ does a person need to see that it actually makes it next to impossible to search and listen to one album straight.  

The version before the 'Anna' update was better. Here i am telling people that the native player is better than all other players, and guys at nokia go ahead and screw it all up. Now i am FORCED to search for players which can sort by Album. FolderPlay was a better alternative. 

However, i guess its a Microsoft tradition they have adopted, of first screwing things up and then mending them in further updates....

WAKE UP NOKIA. 

You should wake up and fill out the Album Artist field in ID3 Tag.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Creepy

I couldn't find Folderplay in the store for my N8, but I found Audioplay mp3 player which works brilliantly and groups your songs by folder.
Please use plain text.
Advisor

Well, i found Folderplay on an 'alternative' website, if you know what i mean.. And thanks for suggesting Audioplay... Will check it out.. Cheers Creepy!

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
ziggadebo

I can't believe how bad the stock player player is on the N8, I have a 32gb sdhc card filled with music, trying to find anything on it is near impossible (and don't even get me started with the lack of album art)

I found folderplay on an alternative site, but when I try and install I get a certficate expired message and installation stops.

Whats the workaround?

CHeers

Please use plain text.
Professor
hpholm

Tagging the audio files properly before transferring them to the phone is a must. Then the search will function properly, and you'll be able to find a particular file from the metadata stored in the files:

http://www.mp3tag.de/en/index.html

Free software (donations are welcome) and it has served me well :smileyhappy:

Hans

Please use plain text.
Professor
cataholic

ziggadebo wrote:

I can't believe how bad the stock player player is on the N8, I have a 32gb sdhc card filled with music, trying to find anything on it is near impossible (and don't even get me started with the lack of album art)

I found folderplay on an alternative site, but when I try and install I get a certficate expired message and installation stops.

Whats the workaround?

CHeers

For FolderPlay just set your phone's date back into the past temporarily; try just changing the year to 2010 and then install FolderPlay. 2010 was fine for me reinstalling it on a phone a couple of weeks ago but if that doesn't work set the date further back.

I don't know where you get your music from but all mine is ripped from my own CD's and it all comes out tagged correctly with no sorting or searching issues in the Nokia player at all. If your music source that is let us say "less reliable" then you are likely to have to tag it correctly yourself.

Please use plain text.