Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: N8 not charging after warranty repair

Contributor
pure_genius

N8 not charging after warranty repair

Hi,

I sent by N8 to a Nokia care point in October 2012 as the bottom piece that enters the battery compartment had broken in one corner and thought I'd better get it fixed before the warranty expired in November 2012. When it was returned I checked it turned on and reloaded some of the software, however I then requested an unlock code from orange UK and that was the end of that as I had already made my sim into a mini sim for my new Nokia 808. Although I have just received an unlock code from orange (another story altogether) however when I turned my phone on the battery was nearly depleted.

When trying to charge it with the mini jack, the battery icon doesn't change to indicate it is charging, I have tried many different Nokia chargers with the mini jack and it does nothing. When I plug it into my laptop it recognises it as a Nokia N8 and connects to Nokia suite OK, it then tries to charge showing the nokia logo, and dot sequence but then disappears and stops charging. I have also tried starting the charge on my 808 pureview USB charger and then plugging the charger back into the N8 to the same effect as plugging it into the laptop.

Has anyone seen this kind of thing before?

Has anyone got any other suggestions?

Could a connector be disconnected beneath the bottom cover leading into the battery compartment?

Is is possibly the battery that is the problem, is it worth putting it in my 808 to see if it will charge in that?

What are nokia like with repairing this fault as it was fine before I sent it for warrenty repair?

Many thanks,

Robin.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
aspergerguy

@pure_genius

A couple of things to try:-

Does unlocking the screen before inserting charger make any difference?

With USB connection to PC you may need to remove microUSB and wait until it shows (on PC) disconnected, then plug back in and see if  two or three attempts of plug>unplug>plug make any difference to result.

Happy to have helped forum with a Support Ratio = 42.5

Please use plain text.
Contributor
pure_genius

@aspergerguy

The screen in generally unlocked when I have been trying to, but it makes no difference.

As I said before USB charging does attempt to work but fails when the dot sequence starts. I have plugged in and unplugged in the way you have suggested to no avail.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Unleashed_N8

have you tried to charge it using an USB charger? You shouls see a white light beside the USB port of your phone and it will light up while charging, even on the mini jack, it will also light up. :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Contributor
pure_genius

with a usb charger the light next to the port flashes, shows the nokia logo, light goes contant it shows the loading circles sequence once then the light turns off and phone screen goes dead (no charge symbol).

mini jack charging doesnt work at all...

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
farby

I would have taken the phone back to Nokia Care (where it was repaired) immediately on noticing this issue..

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Unleashed_N8

Maybe your phone battery or your OS has the problem. My phone is sometimes not charging, so I decided to refurbish it, and now it works better, and faster. :smileyhappy:

I don't suggest you to do what I did, you should try to go to the nearest Nokia Care Services. Good luck!

Please use plain text.
Contributor
pure_genius

Unleashed_N8 wrote:

I don't suggest you to do what I did, you should try to go to the nearest Nokia Care Services. Good luck!

I wish there was one near me...  they closed the one in Taunton ages ago, now I have to send it to them via post.

I may give their tech support a ring and see what options I have...

Please use plain text.