Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: N8 not displaying caller name

Counsellor
Accepted Solution

N8 not displaying caller name

My N8 suddenly stopped displaying my contacts caller's names. Why is this & how can I fix it?

Nokia N8 on Belle
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
farby

Did you make any changes to the settings ? If not, just Re-boot the phone and check again. This has worked on my Nokia 5800xm at least on 2 occassions..

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

No changes & many reboots.

Nokia N8 on Belle
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
nvee

I also randomly get this..cannot explain..multiple reboots are done...all after anna...

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
nvee

I can confirm now that this is a consistent occurence..4/5 calls do not show caller name and for the same contact, now you see it..now u don't...as if we do not have enough problems with anna..it sure is a half-baked update...at less than half the time taken for anna, a simple potrait qwerty keyb would have been ok...everyhing less was fine and acceptable until anna...

Please use plain text.
Contributor
DAMODHRAND

I am also facing the issue..While incoming call, it is not saying caller name along with tone..I faced after Anna update...How to fix...anyone help..

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Neverryn

Had this issue before I installed Anna. I solved it by using factory restore. This immediately solved the problem.

I spent ages going through the menus, thing to find a setting that would stop names from showing but I found nothing.

I have now installed anna after doing a full reset and everything is still well. It may of been an app that caused it. The only ones I have installed that integrate with my contacts are socially and I had a gravity trial running.

Do any of you have these in use?
Please use plain text.
Advisor
meranti11

Same thing here.

However, I found something strange. I have 248 contacts listed in my phonebook but when I go to Settings -> Memory Details, it shows me 259 contacts. Why is there that discrepancy of 11?. I am using only Phone Memory for all my contacts.

I am also using Gravity and Nimbuzz. Are those apps the culprits?

What can I do to have this issue resolved?

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Neverryn

I just did a factory reset and that solved it. I used the basic restore which doesn't delete your apps etc.

If you don't like that idea, since you only have a trial version of gravity installed, maybe try installing it? I don't have nimbuzz installed so I have no idea if that is a possible caused.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
farby

meranti11 wrote:

Same thing here.

However, I found something strange. I have 248 contacts listed in my phonebook but when I go to Settings -> Memory Details, it shows me 259 contacts. Why is there that discrepancy of 11?. I am using only Phone Memory for all my contacts.

I am also using Gravity and Nimbuzz. Are those apps the culprits?

What can I do to have this issue resolved?

Not sure..but are there any contacts stored on the SIM..(May be pre-installed by the Service provider..)

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

[ Edited ]

this i snot related to the Anna update, not in my case anyway. I was having problems long before doing hte update. I'll try the factory reset.. if I can remember how

Nokia N8 on Belle
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Neverryn

menu, settings, phone, phone management, factory settings, RESTORE. It's important that you get the last one right. ;-)

Good luck. I hope it works. It did for me.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
nvee

Tried this..no luck at all..problem persists...and this my 5th factory reset after anna update...

Please use plain text.
Advisor
meranti11

Hi Farby,

There are no contacts listed on my SIM.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
nvee

Tried all solutions listed..still getting the same...not solved...for me all troubles started after anna update..

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
ddexter

Had the same problem on my N8 after Anna update. But, a simple reboot solved my problem :smileyhappy:. Thank god!

Please use plain text.